• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Hudson Valley Thread

That's a great hike....ascending Schunemunk from the north end and going south along the ridge to the Megalith Rocks.... I last did it in September 2009. I have also done it in a blinding Spring snowstorm around April 12th, 1994....

For us hikers thankfully the land has been put in a preserve so there won't be any roads ...although there is a village on the southwest side ...Mountain Lodge maybe?

Storm King should be interesting tonight... Post pics! I was thinking about taking a 15 min drive to the Shawangunk Ridge to see conditions up there. Too bad there isnt a road up to the summit of Schnemunk Mtn..

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great hike....ascending Schunemunk from the north end and going south along the ridge to the Megalith Rocks.... I last did it in September 2009. I have also done it in a blinding Spring snowstorm around April 12th, 1994....

For us hikers thankfully the land has been put in a preserve so there won't be any roads ...although there is a village on the southwest side ...Mountain Lodge maybe?

Well since your am expert on Schunemunk hiking, why don't you come down and be my guide for the hike? Lol

I lived on the south facing slope of the mtn near the reservoir for 8 yrs.. Awesome little micro climate in that area with some nice elevation.. Mtn Lodge Park is on the Blooming Grove side (west slope) with the highest extent around 1100-1200'.

And those other guys wanted me to get obs from up there tonight......would of been a one way ticket for me....lol.

40.1/38.5. Hvy Rain. .94 so far

You have to play attention to what snywx and that irish guy tell you to do, word to the wise bike.giflaugh.png

And those other guys wanted me to get obs from up there tonight......would of been a one way ticket for me....lol.

40.1/38.5. Hvy Rain. .94 so far

Went over the mountain near exit 1 on 84 around 5pm. Temp.up on the top at 1,250' was 41. Will be going back over at 5:30 am tomorrow. Might be some fun up there.snowing3.gif

post-463-0-82027100-1323306648.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 2373

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0521 PM CST WED DEC 07 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL/ERN PA...S CNTRL AND SERN NY...MUCH OF VT/NH

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 072321Z - 080315Z

A TRANSITION TO SNOW WILL OCCUR OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS. EXPECT

SNOWFALL RATES TO CONTINUE TO INCREASE TO NEAR 1 INCH/HR...WHILE

SPREADING EWD WITH TIME.

AS OF 23Z...RAINFALL RATES CONTINUE TO INCREASE ACROSS MUCH OF THE

NORTHEAST...WITH A TRANSITION TO SNOW NOW NOTED FROM ALTOONA PA NEWD

TO NEAR BINGHAMTON NY AND JUST WEST OF ALBANY. HEAVIER PRECIPITATION

RATES WILL LIKELY BE SUSTAINED AMIDST ANOMALOUSLY HIGH PWAT VALUES

/0.88 INCH PER 21Z ALBANY SOUNDING/ AND FAVORABLE VERTICAL MOTION

BETWEEN...

1. A WEAKENING UPPER TROUGH ROTATING EWD THROUGH THE HUDSON BAY AND

GREAT LAKES...AND

2. A STRONGER AND MORE POTENT UPPER TROUGH APPROACHING FROM THE

SOUTHWEST.

23Z VAD WIND PROFILE AT ALBANY REFLECTS IMPLIED COLD ADVECTION

BEGINNING...WHILE FARTHER EAST TOWARDS COASTAL REGIONS OF THE

NORTHEAST...WARM ADVECTION WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT A PREDOMINATE

PRECIPITATION TYPE OF RAIN. HOWEVER...THE 21Z ALBANY SOUNDING SHOWED

A MORE PROMINENT 850 MB WARM LAYER THAN NEARLY ALL 18Z DETERMINISTIC

MODEL FORECASTS...WITH COLDER SURFACE TEMPERATURES AS WELL. WITH

RAPID COLD ADVECTION OCCURRING AT THE SURFACE...A VERY BRIEF PERIOD

OF FREEZING RAIN IS POSSIBLE BEFORE A COMBINATION OF LOWER

TROPOSPHERIC COLD ADVECTION...DYNAMIC COOLING...AND DIURNAL COOLING

CONTRIBUTE TO A P-TYPE OF SNOW. GIVEN THE AFOREMENTIONED PWAT

VALUE...VERY WET HEAVY SNOW CAN BE ANTICIPATED. ALTHOUGH THE

SEASONABLY WARM WEATHER PRIOR TO THE ONSET OF THIS EVENT HAS

SUPPORTED WARM GROUND TEMPERATURES AND ACCUMULATIONS MAY INITIALLY

BE LIMITED...HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES NEAR 1 INCH/HR SHOULD SUPPORT

INCREASING ACCUMULATIONS WITH TIME.

..HURLBUT.. 12/07/2011

post-463-0-13412800-1323306603.png

I saw some flakes around 12:30am but there's no evidence of snowfall this morning. The bigger story is the 2.41" of rain for a storm total flood.gif

Lots of wind overnight too. I seen cars in the village this morning covered with snow, some of them county cars. It must have snowed close by at the end.

My brother pointed out to me that there are new photos on Google Earth for parts of our area from 10/7/11. Below are two photos of the Moodna Creek in New Windsor along Old Forge Road, one from 2007 (the 2009 photo wasn't as clear) and the other from October of this year. There are some rather remarkable differences as you can see.

3/31/2007

357mv0m.jpg

10/7/2011

1088x9u.jpg

In other news...they started making snow here in the park on Sunday night so I can see snow again everyday. So I have that working for me....which is nice (Caddyshack reference).

I guess thats better than the Dalai Lama granting ... oh never mind

My brother pointed out to me that there are new photos on Google Earth for parts of our area from 10/7/11. Below are two photos of the Moodna Creek in New Windsor along Old Forge Road, one from 2007 (the 2009 photo wasn't as clear) and the other from October of this year. There are some rather remarkable differences as you can see.

3/31/2007

357mv0m.jpg

10/7/2011

1088x9u.jpg

Correct me if im wrong but isnt that embankment where the houses are quite high? Thats pretty remarkable!

Archived