Most Online
    Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
The Hudson Valley Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Mike Geary from FleetWeather said this morning 'We are heading into uncharted territry with this storm". It's really amazing, part of me is excited and the other part says WTF, this is going to be a mess.

I agree, I am leaning towards exciting because of its uncommon nature but you're right it will be a bigger mess than it normaly would because of foliage still on the trees and the bigger unknown is how ready are the various highway departments, equipment PM'd and ready to go for the season? Did they get their salt supplies in?:yikes:

I agree, I am leaning towards exciting because of its uncommon nature but you're right it will be a bigger mess than it normaly would because of foliage still on the trees and the bigger unknown is how ready are the various highway departments, equipment PM'd and ready to go for the season? Did they get their salt supplies in?:yikes:

The 12z NAM maps in the NYC thread are sick. Even if you cut that in half your still around 8-10"

Just moved up to Rock Hill in sullivan county .. 1400ft Elevation. Is it safe to say I should be gettting what Middletown will get or better due to elevation?

Welcome to the area! Yes, I would say it's safe that you will do better than Middletown in certain situations due to your elevation. For some coastals though you may wind up frustratingly on the fringe along with the rest of us.

The old rule of thumb for the highway departments was to be ready by around Columbus Day around here. I'm not sure if they all are but I can say that the NYSDOT yard in Maybrook looks to be in good shape and the salt barn was filled to the gills a few weeks ago.

The old rule of thumb for the highway departments was to be ready by around Columbus Day around here. I'm not sure if they all are but I can say that the NYSDOT yard in Maybrook looks to be in good shape and the salt barn was filled to the gills a few weeks ago.

well at least they are ready, i know I'm not

I know you guys seen this but its too amazing not to post

NAM 12Z @ 39 hours

post-463-0-48957000-1319812824.jpg

Just moved up to Rock Hill in sullivan county .. 1400ft Elevation. Is it safe to say I should be gettting what Middletown will get or better due to elevation?

Hey welcome, in general you;'ll do better because of elevation. I look forward to your posts and BTW we do like event pictures in the thread.

Welcome! You probably avg. 5-10" more then me. There is a drastic jump in snowfall avg once you cross the Bloomingburg/Pine Bush line. You tend to receive alittle more from rotting LES bands as well..

Its amazing how spoiled they are down along the coast. The last 2-3 yrs with these ridiculous cutoffs etc. are more the exception then the rule. I guess reality will start to set in.

BTW... I love to see this thread rockin!! :)

Totally agree in regards to our friends to the south.

Oh I think this thread will be rocking this weekend similar to the way it did during the Snowicane in Feb 2010.

Totally agree in regards to our friends to the south.

Oh I think this thread will be rocking this weekend similar to the way it did during the Snowicane in Feb 2010.

Ughh.. The snowicane! One of my favs..

12z NAM for MGJ : 1.78" All snow with 2m temps 30-33 throughout storm

12z NAM for SWF: 1.90" All snow with 2m temps 30-33 throughout storm

Looking at the simulated radar on the NAM, the snowfall rates could be epic! So much juice when you get it this early in the season, of course it's usually rain on October 29th...... That mega band grazes ALB now so I like this trend.

Ughh.. The snowicane! One of my favs..

12z NAM for MGJ : 1.78" All snow with 2m temps 30-33 throughout storm

12z NAM for SWF: 1.90" All snow with 2m temps 30-33 throughout storm

No question power line damage could be epic in a belt that lies far enough inland for heavy wet snow, but still foliated landscape. Right now the 12Z NAM is the worst case scenario for that. Another epic fail for US power companies that never buried most of their lines.

Our leaves are 80% gone so I don't anticipate much trouble here even if we get into the heavier snow. I have one young maple though that stubbornly has held most of its leaves and yesterday's 4 inches had pulled it way down so you can only imagine what a foot plus might do down your way.

This is unheard of in October. Got the snowblower out last weekend and its ready to go. Generator also ready. Hopefully we can get the temps slightly colder for a drier snow which won't do as much damage.

Nice to see another oldie who can remember 10/4 1987. LOL I was from Saugerties, but attending school at U. Albany and that was the freak snow event of all time. This isn't anywhere near as freakish because it's close to four weeks later.

I'll hopefully get good pictures of my Halloween decorations-getting buried under it all. Bring it on-I've got the camera ready! If this pans out-it could be a lot worse than Snowleaf from Oct.4,1987.:snowman:

This is unheard of in October. Got the snowblower out last weekend and its ready to go. Generator also ready. Hopefully we can get the temps slightly colder for a drier snow which won't do as much damage.

I'm also hoping that the snow will get drier as colder air gets pulled down as the storm wraps up.

I'll hopefully get good pictures of my Halloween decorations-getting buried under it all. Bring it on-I've got the camera ready! If this pans out-it could be a lot worse than Snowleaf from Oct.4,1987.:snowman:

I remember that one too although at my elevation at the time it wasn't too bad.

No question power line damage could be epic in a belt that lies far enough inland for heavy wet snow, but still foliated landscape. Right now the 12Z NAM is the worst case scenario for that. Another epic fail for US power companies that never buried most of their lines.

Our leaves are 80% gone so I don't anticipate much trouble here even if we get into the heavier snow. I have one young maple though that stubbornly has held most of its leaves and yesterday's 4 inches had pulled it way down so you can only imagine what a foot plus might do down your way.

The majoirty of leaves are down IMBY as well and I'm hoping the ones left will drop quickly once the snow gets on them. I also have a young maple though that hasn't dropped much of anything, I'll have to keep and eye on that during the storm.

Looks like this one may end up being quite the whopper! Truly an historic event for October. The only other thing close that comes to mind would be Oct 4 1987, but this one looks to affect places further south and east as well.

Boundary layer temps may be an issue initially, but heavy precipitation rates and likely some conditional slantwise mesoscale banding, coupled with strong ageostrophic northerlies induced by extreme height falls to the south should cool things down quickly. I'd be surprised if the higher elevations of Dutchess and Ulster counties don't see a foot out of this one, with 6"+ likely in the valley wherever the best mesoscale forcing sets up.

Looks like this one may end up being quite the whopper! Truly an historic event for October. The only other thing close that comes to mind would be Oct 4 1987, but this one looks to affect places further south and east as well.

Boundary layer temps may be an issue initially, but heavy precipitation rates and likely some conditional slantwise mesoscale banding, coupled with strong ageostrophic northerlies induced by extreme height falls to the south should cool things down quickly. I'd be surprised if the higher elevations of Dutchess and Ulster counties don't see a foot out of this one, with 6"+ likely in the valley wherever the best mesoscale forcing sets up.

Some intense snowfall rates under those bands will accumalate snow at any elevation and on any surface. Trees will take on some stress from this heavy snowpaste. Could have some thundersnow thrown in too.

Warren/Sussex/Passiac counties in NJ... Orange/Ulster/Dutchess/Putnam counties in NY.. Litchfield and possibly northern Fairfield counties in CT are in for a historic event.. I can see areas below 500' receiving 6" while areas 500-1000' receiving 8-12".. Areas above 1000' are most likely gonna see 12"+ from this..

Archived