• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The Hudson Valley Thread

It was bad here also. A few weeks of brownish junk, then last week I finally got some areas of nice reds and oranges. That lasted a few days and then the relentless wind all weekend left the trees more than half bare. Another light frost with a low of 33 here this morning (third or fourth), but I have never had what I would term a killing freeze which is extremely late for here.... It doesn't really matter though because most things have died off anyway by now. The ground is a sponge and after tomorrow I wouldn't even dare venture anywhere off the walk/driveway. It won't get better until the freeze up occurs.

I was thinking about this recently, I was wondering if the wet soil conditions would affect the depth of the freeze line in the ground one way or the other.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No hard freeze yet so I'm still pulling tomatoes and peppers off my plants, the plants look like crap but are still producing. Same thing IMBY regarding the leaf drop this year. little color, lots of bare trees and green to brown leafs. I have a flowering tree that always turns a bright red in the fall. This year it’s going from pukegreen to dirty yellow to brown on the ground.

For the second time in 7 days we had a sharp cutoff between total cloud cover and clear cobalt skies at the storms end, spectacular !! Excluding the towering,convective looking cloud cover and 60 degree temp this mornings reminded me ofa January snow storm that ended in the morning. Sharp delineation of cloudy to clear skies, bright, white sunlight, lots of road fog (not in the pic) from the just ended precip and gusty winds.

2011-10-20090546.jpg

Glad you got a pic of it as it was quite the sight to see this morning!

To cap off my winter analogy above, when I left work lastnight I noticed there must have been something on the thruway. My front end,hood, windshield and sides of the Pilot where covered in what looked like saltspray. ;-)

Upton has the mention of snow in the forecast for later in the week but they also had me going into the 30's for lows this weekend and I only made it to 43 on Saturday morning...

I was up in Cooperstown Friday and Saturday. There was Lake effect rain shower bands up that way. You can feel the winter fun is not too far away. On another note. Damage along route 28 was amazing from Irene in Margaretville and Shandaken. Route 42 is still closed from washed out bridges in Lexington.

Yeah, the NAM seems too cold but we have something to track already in the snow department.

yea, this is very early tracking... If we've gotten snow in October, it's usually been from a clipper type system with some flurries, but it's been a while since something signifcant has fallen in the way of frozen stuff in October

yea, this is very early tracking... If we've gotten snow in October, it's usually been from a clipper type system with some flurries, but it's been a while since something signifcant has fallen in the way of frozen stuff in October

Sorry It's all my fault. I took the snowshovels out of the shed yesterday. :whistle:

It makes it even more odd since this fall has been so mild to date. I'm still waiting on my first frost of the season.

12z Euro still gives us 6"+ even with 8:1 ratios.. lol smh

You gotta love the consistency of this model even if its wrong..

lol. After last winter’s performance the euro is at times as bad or worse than the GFS depending on the players on the field. The fact that the cheese stands alone suggests something. :whistle: besides its going to be another winter model from hell season again. Heck, the GFS doesn't have any precip anywhere in the area when the euro is dumping us with snow.

Hmm, I'm in the office here in Goshen and don't see any precip falling..

yeah but your not on Mount TJay :lol:

I asked twice to be sure since it was a strange report, thats what they told me. When I asked the second time I got "Hmmm lets see I am looking out the window and I see white flakes falling from the sky." Who knows

Archived