joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
0z euro

tombo82685

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got done doing the NYC metro wx blog forecast. All i can say is with confidence that the trof over the NE will stay as long as the block over greenland stays. Some cold times ahead for our area and the MOS will bust high in this setup. mid 40s? no way. 30s for sure. Anything after the 7-8 day range is a crap shoot and the guidance are split on. I try not to look at anything at 10+ days. Its the thing of nightmares. LOL.

I just got done doing the NYC metro wx blog forecast. All i can say is with confidence that the trof over the NE will stay as long as the block over greenland stays.  Some cold times ahead for our area and the MOS will bust high in this setup.  mid 40s? no way.  30s for sure.  Anything after the 7-8 day range is a crap shoot and the guidance are split on.  I try not to look at anything at 10+ days.  Its the thing of nightmares.  LOL.

Do you think there is a link between snowy weather in western europe and similar conditions in eastern north america?  Ive noticed that its happened several times in the past that the two were linked.

Do you think there is a link between snowy weather in western europe and similar conditions in eastern north america? Ive noticed that its happened several times in the past that the two were linked.

There generally should be given western Europe usually only manages a cold/snowy pattern during a -NAO....its more likely to correlate to a cold pattern in eastern NA than necessarily a snowy one...the winter of 1990-91 was brutal in the U.K. however it was relatively mild in the eastern U.S....this despite a +NAO....that was one of the only instances I can think of where Europe managed that sort of pattern with nothing really to speak of in the eastern U.S.

10$ says the 12z shows the complete opposite?:whistle:

Euro has been all over the place. SO as nice as this is to look at, ill take it with a grain of salt. With so many pac energies, gonna see a wide range of solutions.

Thanks earthlight

GFS has done a better job lately. It was right about the threats for Sunday and next week not coming together for us, while the Euro was offering more hope. So I definitely won't get excited about this threat the Euro is showing, especially since it's in fantasy range.

GFS has done a better job lately. It was right about the threats for Sunday and next week not coming together for us, while the Euro was offering more hope. So I definitely won't get excited about this threat the Euro is showing, especially since it's in fantasy range.

Obviously don't have time to read the entire thread this morning due to heading off for work, but the headline grabber for me is something we seem to see all the time. The "big threat" always seems to be 10 days away. It's been that way the past few years.

Obviously don't have time to read the entire thread this morning due to heading off for work, but the headline grabber for me is something we seem to see all the time. The "big threat" always seems to be 10 days away. It's been that way the past few years.

When was the last time a big warmup was forecast 10 days into the future and we got slammed by a big snowstorm instead?  Why doesnt that happen as often as the other way around?

When was the last time a big warmup was forecast 10 days into the future and we got slammed by a big snowstorm instead? Why doesnt that happen as often as the other way around?

The GFS kept trying to break down the pattern from around day 10 onward in 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 prior to February, at some points it was even dumping troughs into the west.

Are you kidding?!?!? We just had three big ones last meteorological winter, actually 4 I'm forgetting the big retrograding storm that gave NYC 20"

Are you kidding?!?!? We just had three big ones last meteorological winter, actually 4 I'm forgetting the big retrograding storm that gave NYC 20"

no, hes saying theres always a 10 day threat shown by the models every week.  Until something shows up under the 100 hr range i dont really care.

Jb is on board of course.he has backed off the threat for next week and has jumped on the EURO GFS threat for NEXT weekend or early part of the week after. Compares threat to 96 and 92 blizzards

How many day 10 threats must people see vanish to stop believe in that crap? Day10 threats are like Santa Claus and unicorns.

How many day 10 threats must people see vanish to stop believe in that crap? Day10 threats are like Santa Claus and unicorns.

Don't you mess with Santa Claus!

But I get your point. We need to keep an eye on five days at a time. Is there a threat? Yes, and the potential is a reasonable solution, however I would not be getting excited until the threat is at least under 100.

Further, I don't like to talk down on meteorologist, but IF JB actually compared the threat 10 days out to the 96 blizzard than that is HIGHLY irresponsible, IMO.

Jb is on board of course.he has backed off the threat for next week and has jumped on the EURO GFS threat for NEXT weekend or early part of the week after. Compares threat to 96 and 92 blizzards

Man, this guy never learns. How can you really get excited for a storm which is 10 days away. Just sit back and see what unfolds.

Remember last year late December and the first part of January. We were supposed to have this epic cold and snowy period that never really came to fruition. Granted, February more than made up for it but it did seem like people were hyping the hell out of the pattern swearing something had to happen during that time. And other than some snow showers around new years and that new years eve 'surprise' snow we didnt get much.

Remember last year late December and the first part of January. We were supposed to have this epic cold and snowy period that never really came to fruition. Granted, February more than made up for it but it did seem like people were hyping the hell out of the pattern swearing something had to happen during that time. And other than some snow showers around new years and that new years eve 'surprise' snow we didnt get much.

Actually. there were many who were calling for a torchish January followed by a Snowy Feb.

Archived