joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
0z euro

tombo82685

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is always the problem with La Niña winters...it gets cold after the storms, not before/during them.

We had cold last weekend, now 1" rain today, brutally cold coming up, and then the NAO lifts and we probably get another cutter or marginal SW flow event before it goes back to being brutally cold again.

lol who knows, we might get to relive the 80s, with one storm being supressed giving DC snow while the next one cuts up to the lakes and gives us rain.

hr 210 -nao is starting to build again

At this point its hard for me to believe the NAO is not going to spend most of this winter in the negative phase...its becoming likely we've entered a period of predominant negative phase....there were not many cases from 1980-2000 when the NAO was generally positive that we saw a sustained period of +NAO from mid-November to mid-December and then saw a switch to negative during the winter...reverse that reasoning now and thats why I think it will be mainly negative the rest of the way.

hr 240 sub 1004 low over la with precip up to st louis, snowing in southern miss, precip into the se states as well. 1036 high over lakes, another blast of arctic air on the back side of this storm....big pacific ridge going into nw territories of canada, -nao with 50/50

You are describing a pretty nice setup. Thoughts before the next frame?

hr 240 sub 1004 low over la with precip up to st louis, snowing in southern miss, precip into the se states as well. 1036 high over lakes, another blast of arctic air on the back side of this storm....big pacific ridge going into nw territories of canada, -nao with 50/50

Sounds like a completely different solution from the 12z run

At this point its hard for me to believe the NAO is not going to spend most of this winter in the negative phase...its becoming likely we've entered a period of predominant negative phase....there were not many cases from 1980-2000 when the NAO was generally positive that we saw a sustained period of +NAO from mid-November to mid-December and then saw a switch to negative during the winter...reverse that reasoning now and thats why I think it will be mainly negative the rest of the way.

So do you think there will be a large disconnect between the NAO and the ENSO?  NWS seems to be on board with this idea as they have "equal chances" up for our region.  Are there many analogs for neg nao winters and winters with ninas of this magnitude?  Even if there arent-- we didnt have an analog for what happened last winter either.

We might have to bring back those 1903-04, 1916-17 analogs.

well it stops at 240, looking at it, its not going to slide out to sea, a good amount of ridging out ahead of it, the trof is still positively tilted, but its gonna go negative soon. The cold air is established to

Thanks for the play by play. It's ten days out but something to keep us interested.

Miller A or B?

Seems to me if would be a transfer somehwere, but i'd like to hear your thoughts?

Shortwave is from the northern stream but it's probably a hybrid with Miller A type features, that storm is already 999mb on the gulf coast. The confluence and 50/50 are in absolutely perfect positions, the cold air is established well, and that storm system is likely headed for redevelopment off the coast. Everything about the 240hr map screams significant mid atlantic snowstorm. Its a shame it's in fantasy land, but the guidance continues to show this pattern will offer up chances, at the very least.

10$ says the 12z shows the complete opposite?:whistle:

Euro has been all over the place. SO as nice as this is to look at, ill take it with a grain of salt. With so many pac energies, gonna see a wide range of solutions.

Thanks earthlight

Archived