• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Devastating tornado strikes Joplin, Missouri

Cool video but I think that's the most annoying commentary I've ever heard. Keep me safe, Lord....oh yeah and my wife too if you don't mind, since she's over there near the tornado. arrowheadsmiley.png

Yeah watching it muted is definitely the way to go!

Franklin Tech was a brick building right across from the high school. There's nothing left of it now. I think the bricks are about ankle high. It was used to help determine the EF-5 rating.

FTC%20building%20copy.jpg

I just read that 139 are now dead.

Franklin Tech was a brick building right across from the high school. There's nothing left of it now. I think the bricks are about ankle high. It was used to help determine the EF-5 rating.

I was looking for an after shot of this to compare but couldn't find one. The death toll is just horrible and will probably creep up more as well unfortunately.

wow that is crazy to see a school just wiped off the map...

The amount of force it would take to destroy a well built brick building like that is just unfathomable.

This is a new video of the joplin tornado. It shows it going from wall cloud to wedge tornado in just 60 seconds.

Man that is just unbelievable how fast that thing spun up, it literally went from wall cloud to monster in 60 seconds.

:( I am so sorry for the tragedy that your fine city has had happen.

I wish all of you the best as lives and homes are rebuilt. So many sad tales.

Here's a vid of the damage around the high school and Franklin Tech. At around 10-11 seconds on the left of the screen, you can see a parking lot and what looks like cars, just to the left of that is where Franklin Tech used to be, but there is nothing there at all. He turns down the street my ex-gf lives/lived on I believe and I think at the end of the video is what's left of her house although I am not sure. Her husband, step-daughter, and she were in either a bathroom or a closet and survived, some in this area were not so lucky she said as she saw a couple of people that did not make it.

Here's a vid of the damage around the high school and Franklin Tech. At around 10-11 seconds on the left of the screen, you can see a parking lot and what looks like cars, just to the left of that is where Franklin Tech used to be, but there is nothing there at all. He turns down the street my ex-gf lives/lived on I believe and I think at the end of the video is what's left of her house although I am not sure. Her husband, step-daughter, and she were in either a bathroom or a closet and survived, some in this area were not so lucky she said as she saw a couple of people that did not make it.

wow that is amazing, yet chilling and scary video right there JoMo... just think how many people would have been in that high school had graduation been there instead of at the college.... from what I have heard graduation was just getting out when the sirens sounded, would have been a disaster of epic proportions if the ceremonies had been at the school

I think this video really demonstrates why folks in a populated area are probably MORE at risk from a strong tornado than someone living on an isolated farm, for instance. Tornadoes don't avoid populated areas and when they hit, there is that much more debris to increase damage. Anyone stranded in their car or any kind of weak structure would never have survived the kind of debris storm shown in that video.

Adding my best wishes for JoMo. What an experience...

Wowsers!

There's a series of videos from someone who just moved here 2 weeks ago from Seattle as he ventured out right after the storm.

Video 1 and 2 are pretty boring. Video 3 which I have linked shows Wal-Mart on 15th and Rangeline. Video 4 is pretty boring as well but shows the Home Depot from a distance. Video 5 shows the area around the high school and Dillons Supermarket which was also destroyed and the apartments around it. This was in the EF-5 damage area.

Video 3

Video 5

I just knew there was something really fishy about that picture. This makes much more sense.

Ugh!

This and the mistaken gas-station receipt in IN are almost disappointing, in a weird way. The Joplin catastrophe is so enormous, it's like we want special confirmation of it in these novelties.

Is this one a deliberate hoax? The receipt was an honest mistake, and the folks who discovered it immediately came clean when they realized.

Ugh!

This and the mistaken gas-station receipt in IN are almost disappointing, in a weird way. The Joplin catastrophe is so enormous, it's like we want special confirmation of it in these novelties.

Is this one a deliberate hoax? The receipt was an honest mistake, and the folks who discovered it immediately came clean when they realized.

I'm wondering if the winds still sent the debris into the drain due to the cracked concrete. Doubt it was a deliberate hoax...

The chair in the wall is very weird, too

I'm wondering if the winds still sent the debris into the drain due to the cracked concrete. Doubt it was a deliberate hoax...

The chair in the wall is very weird, too

chair in the wall seems to make sense especially if the chair was metal. it did not penetrate terribly deeply into the exterior.

I just knew there was something really fishy about that picture. This makes much more sense.

LOzs8.jpg

Perfect sense now, no missing concrete. the crack is due to the piece of wood being torqued. My guess is rescuers ran it over with a truck after the tornado. . It can probably be recreated by feeding a long 2X4 into one of those things and having a heavy person step on it.

Word just down now that the death toll is up to 142 in Joplin

That is the official toll, but they also said that the 142 includes 'partial remains', and that there is a chance that some of the remains listed separately may actually match up to single individual persons. This whole thing must be traumatic for the search and rescue people and the people working at identification. I don't know how they do it.

That is the official toll, but they also said that the 142 includes 'partial remains', and that there is a chance that some of the remains listed separately may actually match up to single individual persons. This whole thing must be traumatic for the search and rescue people and the people working at identification. I don't know how they do it.

Ugh that is just God-awful. :(

I toured the entire area today. I can't believe the destruction and I got lost in my old neighborhood. Everything looks so closed in, but so far away. The only way you can tell there was a house at the locations worst hit is because there's a driveway in front of it. I did take some pictures and I have pictures left over from days ago as well that I will have to upload sometime. Someone requested a pic of Franklin Tech, I think a meteorologist, and I can clearly say Franklin Tech doesn't exist anymore. There are a couple places that still have bricks that are about chest high, the rest of it is completely destroyed.

It is the highest official toll in a single American tornado since the 1940s.

Today's additional additions to the toll have made 2011 the most deadly year since they started "official" record keeping in 1950.

Obviously other years (1925) had more, but those were supposedly estimates...

... and it is only Memorial Day weekend. I hope we have seen the last fatality this year (doubtful)