12bet1 net
May 2011 NYC metro area obs./discussion

Snowlover11

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is wednesday night's euro run for yesterday... please find the 70s

http://www.ecmwf.int...w!2011051900!!/

Soundings showed 70's for yesterday and today.

The map you posted is for 0z today. You need to see 18z today, to get the high temps. Not an 8pm map.

The soundings from accu, showed 70-75 degrees for yesterday and today, a few days ago.

NAM and other short term models did as well. NWS had NYC in the mid 70's for yesterday and today, as a result, a few days.

Soundings showed 70's for yesterday and today.

The map you posted is for 0z today. You need to see 18z today, to get the high temps. Not an 8pm map.

The soundings from accu, showed 70-75 degrees for yesterday and today, a few days ago.

NAM and other short term models did as well. NWS had NYC in the mid 70's for yesterday and today, as a result, a few days.

the maps show SE winds... anyone worth a damn would have known it wouldn't be in the 70's with that setup

the maps show SE winds... anyone worth a damn would have known it wouldn't be in the 70's with that setup

Yup. Agreed. Models were underdoing the cloud coverage and thus overestimating the temperatures. By Thursday, the models caught on and adjusted their text output for high temps.

Get ready for some big warmth next week; I think 90F is within reach for much of the area. Overall the next 5-7 days are very summery with high humidity, SWLY flows, temps in the 80s Mon-Thurs and frequent T-storm opportunities. Should be a precursor to the theme of this summer IMO: high humidity, plenty of rain, and warm temps.

This is one of the only call I can find calling for 80's today.

fixed-every media outlet had Sun and today being decent going back to Fri and even Sat...

NWS as well. NWS backed off starting Thursday, however. Pretty much the same time the euro backed off from the mid 70's, it was showing.

fixed-every media outlet had Sun and today being decent going back to Fri and even Sat...

"the news forecast x" is not the same as "the official nws forecast said x"

the nws dropped the 70s from the forecast by thursday

and we have several hours of heating left before you can declare today a bust

Upton still going with a high of 85 here tomorrow

We are talking about yesterday and today.

Models, including euro, had mid 70's as an output right up until Thursdays' 12z runs. The model busted by almost 20 degrees, from a 72 hour text output.

I agree with you and everyone else. If we get sunshine tomorrow-Thursday, we should easily get into the low to mid 80's.

The Easterly fetch seems like it will end tonight and we will switch south tonight and continue southerly winds, until Wednesday morning.

Marine forecasts, which is what I refer to being a fishing fanatic, is calling for easterly winds again from Wednesday thru Saturday. Not only does that ruin the water quality in the sound, but as we know, it brings colder air and low cloudiness as well. I hope it changes.

We are talking about yesterday and today.

Models, including euro, had mid 70's as an output right up until Thursdays' 12z runs. The model busted by almost 20 degrees, from a 72 hour text output.

I agree with you and everyone else. If we get sunshine tomorrow-Thursday, we should easily get into the low to mid 80's.

The Easterly fetch seems like it will end tonight and we will switch south tonight and continue southerly winds, until Wednesday morning.

Marine forecasts, which is what I refer to being a fishing fanatic, is calling for easterly winds again from Wednesday thru Saturday. Not only does that ruin the water quality in the sound, but as we know, it brings colder air and low cloudiness as well. I hope it changes.

are your text soundings raw data, or is it processed?

NWS as well. NWS backed off starting Thursday, however. Pretty much the same time the euro backed off from the mid 70's, it was showing.

NWS had 64F here yesterday, verified as 59F.

Today they had low 70s and we're in the upper 50s...this was the forecast as of last night.

The NWS has definitely been a bit warm lately, although not a total bust. We all know set-ups with east winds and cloud cover can trend colder than expected in springtime.

Today they had low 70s and we're in the upper 50s...this was the forecast as of last night.

The NWS has definitely been a bit warm lately, although not a total bust. We all know set-ups with east winds and cloud cover can trend colder than expected in springtime.

with light rain and drizzle picking up across SE NY, SW CT And LI, we'll be lucky to see 60 today

Definitely not a bust. I would never call out NWS for a bust. They are a great office and do their best analyzing changing models.

The 70's being forecasted were pre-Thursday, btw. After Thursday, euro and NWS corrected. But that is not a bust at all.

Accuwx has 74 today and 80s the remainder of the month. Also the predicted overnight low for tonight is mid 60s from NWS so I'm guessing we will still see a temperature jump at some point later this afternoon or evening.

with light rain and drizzle picking up across SE NY, SW CT And LI, we'll be lucky to see 60 today

Looking at the visible satellite, there is an area of clearing, pushing NNE, in SE PA. If that continues its push, temps can pop very quickly into the 70's, with any amount of sunshine.

"the news forecast x" is not the same as "the official nws forecast said x"

the nws dropped the 70s from the forecast by thursday

and we have several hours of heating left before you can declare today a bust

NWS had 78 in the bronx on Thursday...I was looking to buy tickets to the yankees / mets game and that was the forecast.

Definitely not a bust. I would never call out NWS for a bust. They are a great office and do their best analyzing changing models.

The 70's being forecasted were pre-Thursday, btw. After Thursday, euro and NWS corrected. But that is not a bust at all.

NWS had a Monday afternoon high of 73F for Dobbs Ferry last night when I checked the point-and-click forecast. I would definitely characterize that as a bust unless skies clear quickly.

-RA

59.0/59

SE@4mph

0.02" rainfall

NWS had a Monday afternoon high of 73F for Dobbs Ferry last night when I checked the point-and-click forecast. I would definitely characterize that as a bust unless skies clear quickly.

-RA

59.0/59

SE@4mph

0.02" rainfall

The visible satellite continues to push the clearing NNE. Now about to hit Jersey. If it continues, it might actually pass thru us, in a couple hours.

Fingers crossed.

Archived