• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2011 NYC metro area obs./discussion

Snowlover11

Looks like storms develop over the higher terrain of NJ/Hudson Valley and CT and drift southward. Recalling from previous times with such flows in the Spring/early Summer, places east (Nassua/Suffolk) and West of NYC have higher probabilities. Where it does, once again, they'll be slow movers and pulse-type boomers.

Like clockwork... We'll see if it fills in for the city, but orography usually has a play in these flows and mitigates/precludes development right along the Hudson River/Valley down toward NYC which usually goes unscathed in these weak northerly flow setups.

dix52111.jpg

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

f81.gif

John - check out the 12z GFS at D 9-10. Although in the fantasy range, I think something like this could happen heading into early June (similar to 2008 maybe). Big Sonoran heat release (as T. Tip says) with > +20c 850s ballooning northeastward. If it verified we'd probably be talking mid 90s.

IMHO the first day for 80+ would be Tuesday and mostly for western and sw jersey. 00Z euro back off from the 12z euro and gfs says lots of convective debris and showers around. Def do not see 86-90 for most, if any area around nyc metro. SW jersey philly area different story.

We shall see; you could be right.

Today's a beauty, temps in the 75-80F range and mostly sunny. Feels great after a week of clouds.

John - check out the 12z GFS at D 9-10. Although in the fantasy range, I think something like this could happen heading into early June (similar to 2008 maybe). Big Sonoran heat release (as T. Tip says) with > +20c 850s ballooning northeastward. If it verified we'd probably be talking mid 90s.

Yup, I posted about it a few days ago. The Sonoran heat release has pretty good support right now. I think early June lines up well with the pattern for a big time heat wave. The Euro is not quite there yet but the MREF are in relative agreement on the pattern progression.

f300.gif

The Euro has a tendency to produce large cutoff lows this time of year in the long range. It's been doing it on and off for a few weeks now in the long range and only one has come to fruition.

It's ensembles offer little support for that solution...240 hr 850 temperatures are +12 C and there's a rolling ridge building east from the Central US.

Violently disagree. Should be 80+ Monday through Friday; 00z Euro indicated temps Wed-Thurs will be 86-90 for most areas. One day thing? This whole week looks very warm to me, with several days +10 or greater departures.

86-90F Wednesday through Friday? Even for up here?

I think you're crazy. Most local forecasts have low-mid 70s for Westchester with clouds and showers.

86-90F Wednesday through Friday? Even for up here?

I think you're crazy. Most local forecasts have low-mid 70s for Westchester with clouds and showers.

It depends what model you at look at and believe. Euro has the warm front well north us on Thurs and Friday while the GFS has near our area. I tend to believe Euro. I think the system digging over the Mississppi Rive Valley, should help pump the heights in the East and push the warm front farther north.

Like clockwork... We'll see if it fills in for the city, but orography usually has a play in these flows and mitigates/precludes development right along the Hudson River/Valley down toward NYC which usually goes unscathed in these weak northerly flow setups.

dix52111.jpg

LOL at that pic. I hear playboy just put 57 years worth of material online recently.

After the showers/thundershowers, you can see the fog bank/marine layer moving ashore on visible satellite... will make for a dreary Sunday... Upton also notes in their AFD that some of the fog tonight/tomorrow morning could be locally dense. The saturated ground, will only aid the fog's progression. Won't be surprised to see a dense fog advisory hoisted.

Edit: Actually, upon further review of their AFD, Upton's belief is that the fog will cease advection as drier air behind the backdoor front ushers in.... I'm somewhat in contention... I don't really see this drier air, especially at the surface, and would expect widespread fog tonight. We'll see.

marinebank52111.jpg

After the showers/thundershowers, you can see the fog bank/marine layer moving ashore on visible satellite... will make for a dreary Sunday... Upton also notes in their AFD that some of the fog tonight/tomorrow morning could be locally dense. The saturated ground, will only aid the fog's progression. Won't be surprised to see a dense fog advisory hoisted.

marinebank52111.jpg

This is a family friendly forum.

No, this spring wasn't exceptionally rainy, at least for my area, but it was very cloudy. And the latter is just depressing, especially when you get days on end with clouds, as we saw this spring. My guess would be about 75-80% of the period late March-mid May has been cloudy, although I don't have the stats in front of me.

Did you miss out on the April rains? Trenton had over 6"...

This is a family friendly forum.

Noted. But its relevance stands. If moderator wants to delete image... I have no qualm with that. Anyway, I need to edit my post to account for Upton's position on the fog, now their belief is that drier air will inhibit the fog formation and only lead to a deck of stratus. The ground being saturated though, it's hard to believe we won't have fog issues overnight. Here's Upton's updated AFD:

..WOULD EXPECT MARINE/STRATUS FOG TOBEGIN ADVECTING ONSHORE OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF HOURS AND CONTINUEINTO EARLY THIS EVENING. FOG COULD BE LOCALLY DENSE.THEN...AS SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE OVER SE CANADA NOSES DOWN THE NEWENGLAND COAST A BACKDOOR COLD FRONT WILL CROSS THROUGH THE REGIONOVERNIGHT. MODELS IN FAIRLY GOOD AGREEMENT WITH THE FRONT PASSINGTHROUGH MOST OF THE REGION OVERNIGHT...PERHAPS GETTING HUNG UPALONG FAR WESTERN SECTIONS DUE TO HIGHER TERRAIN. IN ITS WAKE ADRIER AND COOLER CANADIAN MARITIMES AIRMASS WILL BE USHERED INTOTHE REGION. WOULD EXPECT THIS TO HELP MIX OUT ANY EVENING DENSEFOG DEVELOPMENT...BUT A STRENGTHENING SUBSIDENCE INVERSION ALOFTWOULD PROMOTE WIDESPREAD STRATUS DEVELOPMENT TONIGHT.

Archived