joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2011 NYC metro area obs./discussion

Snowlover11

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get ready for some big warmth next week; I think 90F is within reach for much of the area. Overall the next 5-7 days are very summery with high humidity, SWLY flows, temps in the 80s Mon-Thurs and frequent T-storm opportunities. Should be a precursor to the theme of this summer IMO: high humidity, plenty of rain, and warm temps.

Get ready for some big warmth next week; I think 90F is within reach for much of the area. Overall the next 5-7 days are very summery with high humidity, SWLY flows, temps in the 80s Mon-Thurs and frequent T-storm opportunities. Should be a precursor to the theme of this summer IMO: high humidity, plenty of rain, and warm temps.

A mainstay will probably be the anomalous warm nights, which higher moisture content/humidity grants since the temperature doesn't drop much with dewpoints in the 50's/60's. With the already moist ground and the added warmth headed our way, would not be surprised to have overnight lows flirt with 70 for at least a couple night next week, of course though, more likely in the city than the burbs... long-range models concur. As for highs, IMO, widespread 90 degree weather is a stretch (I think we'll still have marine influence/sea breezes to bear and put a cap on the heat at least in NYC/LI), although conceivable some places will reach it in NJ. If it does... it'll be a heat that we haven't experienced in recent times, even taking into account last summers records which was more of a blow-dryer heat.

I agree Tom.BTW Excellent summer forecast.There is not a thing I disagree with.

Aw yeah...I was waiting for you to post this. I was talking about this a few days ago. Going to be sick to finally get into some summer weather.

When you start to see the GFS show insane SBCAPE over the region. You know we are a heading to warmer, mugger and convective pattern next week. I think we see could highs 86-92, away from the coast, Wed, Thurs, and perhaps Friday, next week. Dewpoints reaching 65F or higher.

...NERN U.S...

POCKETS OF LOW LVL INSTABILITY SHOULD DEVELOP BENEATH UPR LOW OVER

PARTS OF THE NERN STATES TODAY...WHERE COOL MID LVL TEMPS AND MID

50S F SFC DEWPOINTS MAY YIELD SBCAPE AROUND 500 J/KG. A FEW STORMS

COULD PRODUCE HAIL...PERHAPS MARGINALLY SVR...AND GUSTY WINDS. BUT

WEAK SHEAR NEAR LOW CENTER SHOULD LIMIT STORM

ORGANIZATION/LONGEVITY.

Yep, definitely going to be much more humid this summer than last, if not quite as warm.

It felt like it was in the 80's this morning but it was only like 65 degrees, it felt good but it was surprising. Even now it just stopped raining and it's 64 but it feels at least 75.

I can't wait for some this heat, maybe we can squeeze out a 100 degree heat index (well I'm sure Accuweather will lol). I'm ready for everything summer.

what a lousy day...Spring 2011 has 16" of precipitation so far with more to come before June 1st...Last year was the 11th wettest on record and this year might break into the top ten...

Earthlight said this has been the best spring ever. :arrowhead:

what a lousy day...Spring 2011 has 16" of precipitation so far with more to come before June 1st...Last year was the 11th wettest on record and this year might break into the top ten...

I believe since March 1st NYC has recorded 33 days with rain.......:thumbsdown:

I believe since March 1st NYC has recorded 33 days with rain.......:thumbsdown:

If that's correct, that equates to 40% of the days of Meteorological Spring (thus far) having featured rain in NYC. Without having to confirm, it has certainly felt like it. Today's weather also doesn't help.

raining.gif

I'll bet you my account we get towards 90 next week

LOL, towards 90? does 86 count? 85? Is it your car thermometer? I'll pass, too many ways for that too go bad.

I would like you to admit however this spring has not been as rosey as you have made it out to be.

Archived