gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
May 2011 NYC metro area obs./discussion

tmagan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, you guys are hilarious. In 1996 my town got nearly 20" of rain in around 12 hours from Hurricane Fran. THAT is unreal rainfall rates.

This makes no sense. We've had that too...but since this isnt a tropical system.......

Where I grew up that is like every other day in summer.

I vacationed in Hawaii, and was in a rain forest where they get 465 inches of rain a year. this is nothing.

We arent discussing where you grew up, we are discussing this event, here, in the NYC metro. 3" an hour is not a run of the mill shower.

Parents have had 1.29" total since Saturday... 0.02" on Saturday, 0.61" Sunday, 0.13" Monday and 0.53" Tuesday.

My parents in Ewing tacked on another 0.66" today... total since Saturday 1.95".

The bickering in this thread today has been aweful.

Where I grew up that is like every other day in summer.

No way-- it's not supposed to rain much in the summer :P Around here, we're more used to dry and yellow lawns in the summer than this kind of rain. I like that MUCH more.

The HRRR has been handling convection pretty well last day or so and updates hourly to 15hrs. The 9z run today has convection firing up over Western NJ around 21z, then starts diminishing by 0z. We probably don't see much around closer to NYC and LI until the ULL moves closer to us tonight or tomorrow:

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrrconus/

Archived