Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Next severe weather event April 26-29

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really EF5 are extremely rare only 52 tornados EVER have been given a F5 and so far there have been I think 2-3 EF5's, remember in order to get the old F5 winds had to exceed 261 mph and thats just flat out rare. I imagine there will be more EF5's handed out since it lowers the winds to 200+.

Offically NC has never had a F5 since the 1984 monster F4 only had winds of 200 mph however had that same tornado occured today it would be a EF5 on the new scale.

Maybe they should just go back and change the rating for the 1984 to an EF5 and do the same to all the other tornadoes that had winds of 200-260 mph, and they could give an EF6 rating to past tornadoes where winds were 261 or higher.

Yes, one that really stands out was the Gainesville tornado in 1936. Rated EF4 with 1600 injuries, and 203 deaths. That tornado is ranked 4th out of the top 10 deadliest tornadoes documented. One thing I find interesting is Georgia has never had an EF-5/F5 tornado dating back to 1950 so far from what I can find.

I thought that one that hit Camilla a few years ago was an F5? I'll have to check.

Edit: It was an F3.

I remember there was a strong one in Hall county in either 1997 or 1998. It struck early in the morning (maybe about 4:30-5:00AM). Did significant damage.

It was 1998. Just googled it to confirm. Definitely a very active year with several tornado reports around the metro area.

the line that just went through was a nice rainmaker and right at the end it began thundering and lightning close by, so watch out downstream. Now the sun is out and its very muggy.

Here's my call the rest of the day through midnight. GSP had a very good discussion, and I agree with the high winds being shown. Haven't seen the 12z yet though, but the synoptics easily support a major outbreak in my redzone, like SPC has shown.

post-38-0-88702500-1303919710.jpg

post-38-0-91209500-1303919723.jpg

I thought that one that hit Camilla a few years ago was an F5? I'll have to check.

Edit: It was an F3.

Oh man! I remember the Camilla tornadoes. I grew up in Thomasville, and my dad works for Thomas County, so I got to go up and see the damage first hand when they sent the Thomas County mobile command unit up there. I was in middle school/high school, but it's something I will never forget.

Oh man! I remember the Camilla tornadoes. I grew up in Thomasville, and my dad works for Thomas County, so I got to go up and see the damage first hand when they sent the Thomas County mobile command unit up there. I was in middle school/high school, but it's something I will never forget.

I remember it being really bad. My wife's family is from Pelham so I guess that's why it stuck in my memory.

the line that just went through was a nice rainmaker and right at the end it began thundering and lightning close by, so watch out downstream. Now the sun is out and its very muggy. Here's my call the rest of the day through midnight. GSP had a very good discussion, and I agree with the high winds being shown. Haven't seen the 12z yet though, but the synoptics easily support a major outbreak in my redzone, like SPC has shown.

They just warned both those cells looks out Charlotte getting started early today

First PDS watch out today. Probabilities are off the charts.

DISCUSSION...A VERY VOLATILE SETUP IS DEVELOPING FOR PORTIONS OF MS

LATER TODAY AS A MOIST AND VERY UNSTABLE AIR MASS RETURNS INTO AN

AREA WITH IMPRESSIVE LOW LEVEL AND DEEP LAYER VERTICAL SHEAR

PROFILES. ACTIVITY IS CURRENTLY DEVELOPING OVER SOUTHEAST

AR/NORTHEAST LA. HOWEVER...IT APPEARS THE PRIMARY CONCERN WILL

START BY EARLY AFTERNOON OVER CENTRAL/NORTHERN MS WHERE DISCRETE

TORNADIC SUPERCELLS ARE LIKELY. ALL PARAMETERS SUGGEST THAT

STRONG/VIOLENT AND LONG-TRACK TORNADOES ARE POSSIBLE. VERY LARGE

HAIL AND WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS ARE ALSO A CONCERN.

the line that just went through was a nice rainmaker and right at the end it began thundering and lightning close by, so watch out downstream. Now the sun is out and its very muggy.

Here's my call the rest of the day through midnight. GSP had a very good discussion, and I agree with the high winds being shown. Haven't seen the 12z yet though, but the synoptics easily support a major outbreak in my redzone, like SPC has shown.

Likewsie. Plenty of heavy rain and thunder/lightning just went through here with a strong breeze occurring the whole time. Soon as it reached its worst, the storm was departing quickly. I can see the clouds back west beginning to break and will probably get into some sun here eventually.

EDIT(12:43): Scratch that. Another area of showers developed beside the cell that's just to my east, pouring here.

Good Lord. Apocalypse. PDS Watch 232. This is unbelievable. Don't think probs this high have ever been issued.

Probability of 2 or more tornadoes

High (>95%)

Probability of 1 or more strong (F2-F5) tornadoes

High (90%)

Probability of 10 or more severe wind events

High (>95%)

Probability of 1 or more wind events > 65 knots

High (90%)

Probability of 10 or more severe hail events

High (>95%)

Probability of 1 or more hailstones > 2 inches

High (90%)

Probability of 6 or more combined severe hail/wind events

High (>95%)

Looks like the cells warned SW of Charlotte are starting to rotate, and the southern cell is starting to develop a possible hook like feature......

They definitely have grown quickly. I'm looking at the wind fields now on GFS and NAM...wow, we just might get a repeat of what happened back in early April. And about the same time of night too(midnight or just after here).

large belt of high winds on both models, now sometimes they blow this, but they didn't in the early April event, so it will be interesting to see if they're right again.

post-38-0-74509700-1303921456.gif

post-38-0-30351300-1303921462.gif

post-38-0-12698000-1303921466.gif

post-38-0-65104000-1303921472.gif

Good Lord. Apocalypse. PDS Watch 232. This is unbelievable. Don't think probs this high have ever been issued.

Probability of 2 or more tornadoes

High (>95%)

Probability of 1 or more strong (F2-F5) tornadoes

High (90%)

Probability of 10 or more severe wind events

High (>95%)

Probability of 1 or more wind events > 65 knots

High (90%)

Probability of 10 or more severe hail events

High (>95%)

Probability of 1 or more hailstones > 2 inches

High (90%)

Probability of 6 or more combined severe hail/wind events

High (>95%)

Yeah I'm floored by how high these probabilities are. It's incredible. What's really becoming worrisome to me is there is a LOT of sun now over alabama and georgia, even some breaks over ms. So there is going to be some strong heating in the worst possible spots. Indeed, there is already cumulus rebuilding over al/ga. That is noteworthy especially over ga since we just had that line of activity die over ga. Normally you wouldn't see any cumulus development for quite a while but it's already happening..just goes to show you how unstable the atmosphere already is.

If descrete storms form out ahead of the main line, and they surely will, it's going to be a scary situation given current profiles and plenty of heat to work with now. I'm especially worried for west ga and our "tornado alley"...if I lived in that area, I would especially be on the lookout.

The damage this morning from that weakening line of storms was impressive over northwest ga...countless trees down.

Yeah I'm floored by how high these probabilities are. It's incredible. What's really becoming worrisome to me is there is a LOT of sun now over alabama and georgia, even some breaks over ms. So there is going to be some strong heating in the worst possible spots. Indeed, there is already cumulus rebuilding over al/ga. That is noteworthy especially over ga since we just had that line of activity die over ga. Normally you wouldn't see any cumulus development for quite a while but it's already happening..just goes to show you how unstable the atmosphere already is.

If descrete storms form out ahead of the main line, and they surely will, it's going to be a scary situation given current profiles and plenty of heat to work with now. I'm especially worried for west ga and our "tornado alley"...if I lived in that area, I would especially be on the lookout.

The damage this morning from that weakening line of storms was impressive over northwest ga...countless trees down.

lol.... I agree though it's gonna be bad, I bet we get some discrete cells.

I was on the phone with my wife when it hit. She was in the middle of saying it wasn't bad when the wind hit. I'm sure there was not much damage in our area but she said the wind was moving our oak tree more than she had ever seen. BTW I found out where the lightning hit the other night right beside my house. There is an oak limb about 10" in diameter down in a neighbors yard. I'm a little worried about tonight. Emerson has a long history of tornadoes from talking to the locals. The spring that I moved into the house a tornado came through but I believe it was just a funnel by then. I think it was the same tornado that killed that couple in Polk or Carroll county.

Archived