Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Next severe weather event April 26-29

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our northern MS friends are now getting in on the activity as the storms swing through. Besides the indication of the strengthening of the LLJ, it's even more bad news for what's developing back west and southwest of AR, and these could very well train right over the same areas just that just got through experiencing tornadoes that had swept on by. After this night is done, it will only represent the beginning of what's down the road for tomorrow. Keeping everyone over there in my thoughts since the night period will make things twice as dangerous with any tornadoes that do arise. The shear associated with these storms is intense. There was earlier indication by a particular storm that the shear speed was up to 135mph with consistent changes in direction; a sign of intense rotation occurring. Not the kind of things I like to hear about with these super cells.

A little thunder on my end with a passing shower. Earlier this same area of showers had a bit of hail, some lightning, and heavy rain through Union county.

Live coverage in AR if you want to watch:

http://www.wreg.com/

One of those storms came through here around 5:30 with winds of at least 60 mph. Trees down all around the area with at least one knocking down a powerline. Just got power back a few mins ago. If the dynamics from the west mix with the instability that caused this little storm today we could have real trouble. Guess we need to hope the big wave of storms comes after the daytime heating is gone tomorrow.

It really looks like this flash flood watch is going to bust tonight for western NC. (I guess that's a good thing?) There is not a drop of rain on radar anywhere in western NC. Those storms in AR, TN, and MS are quite impressive. That live feed out of Ft. Smith is interesting, but no really big cells at the moment.

Yeah, the storms have quieted down quite a bit in Fort Smith, but about an hour and a half ago they had a rotating wall cloud pass right over the station... It was amazing to see!

One of those storms came through here around 5:30 with winds of at least 60 mph. Trees down all around the area with at least one knocking down a powerline. Just got power back a few mins ago. If the dynamics from the west mix with the instability that caused this little storm today we could have real trouble. Guess we need to hope the big wave of storms comes after the daytime heating is gone tomorrow.

I just missed that cell, and one to the west. I have to say I like the south and southeast flow and hope we get into this many times this Summer...wouldn't that be a switch.

And it looks like GSP is now having the same thoughts about that flood watch:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH WEDNESDAY/... FOR THE EARLY EVENING UPDATE...POPS HAVE BEEN LOWERED EVEN FURTHER ACROSS THE BOARD...AS CONVECTION HAS ALL BUT DISSIPATED OVER THE CWFA WITH THE LOSS OF DIURNAL HEATING. POPS HAVE BEEN LOWERED TO LOW/MID CHANCE ALONG THE SOUTHERN ESCARPMENT...WITH MAINLY SLIGHT CHANCES ALL OTHER LOCATIONS. I STILL EXPECT UPSLOPE SHOWER COVERAGE TO INCREASE AFTER MIDNIGHT...AS THE ATM IS NOT EXPECTED TO STABILIZE AS MUCH AS IT HAS ON PREVIOUS NIGHTS...OWING TO HIGHER DEWPOINTS/ SLIGHTLY WARMER TEMPS...AND FAIRLY STEEP MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES. MEANWHILE...THE LOW LEVEL JET IS EXPECTED TO INTENSIFY SIGNIFICANTLY TOWARD SUNRISE. HOWEVER...THE CHANCE FOR WIDESPREAD HEAVY RAINFALL TONIGHT APPEARS TO BE DIMINISHING. WE WILL CONTINUE TO ASSESS GUIDANCE AND RADAR TRENDS FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF CANCELING ALL OR A PORTION OF THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH FOR THE LATE EVENING (03Z) UPDATE. LOWS WILL REMAIN WELL ABOVE NORMAL...60S ACROSS THE MTNS TO MID 60S EAST.

That is one serious supercell.....been watching it all evening and at some points it looked like a mini-hurricane as it was swirling near Shreveport. Looks like it's cycling, there's a couple of strong sigs. on the velocity scan now.

That cell is producing some serious large hail. Near 5" with 74 DBZ, also some intense damaging winds. Not to mention strong rotation as well.

Yeah, I would hate to be anywhere near that thing. I can take big storms but that is just too much!:yikes:

Aside from the cells in east Texas and N. Louisiana, it seems as if we're transitioning into more of a junkvection/QLCS event overnight rather than discrete rotating cells. From a life/property perspective, one can only hope that remnants can temper the atmosphere a little tomorrow over Alabama/Tenn and N. Ga. From a meterological view, let's hope that some of this can die down before it gets too far east to allow for some major heating tomorrow morning over the southeast. If areas over central Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia can heat up throughout the day tomorrow, you better batten down the hatches cause it may get really ugly.

Aside from the cells in east Texas and N. Louisiana, it seems as if we're transitioning into more of a junkvection/QLCS event overnight rather than discrete rotating cells. From a life/property perspective, one can only hope that remnants can temper the atmosphere a little tomorrow over Alabama/Tenn and N. Ga. From a meterological view, let's hope that some of this can die down before it gets too far east to allow for some major heating tomorrow morning over the southeast. If areas over central Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia can heat up throughout the day tomorrow, you better batten down the hatches cause it may get really ugly.

I agree that its turning into a more linear event right now. "Junkvection", I like it haha. :lol: Still a dangerous situation though. And your right if we do get some prolonged sun tomorrow. :unsure:

As mentioned on another forum. Looking at SPC Meso page the CAP is increasing over parts of Eastern MS into AL with 10C temps moving in advocating in at 700MB. This could allow storms that try to move in to Alabama to weaken. With a nice lid in place, you won't have to worry about junk convection. Something to watch...

Archived