Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Next severe weather event April 26-29

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just looked at the torcon as well. Ok so I am to assume where I live is in the 4 range, but my county is in a moderate risk for tomorrow. I just have always felt that Haralson county is more north Ga, than central because to me central Ga is in the area where Macon is located since it's pretty much mid state. I guess this is just a wait and see game at this point. I just don't want our area to be caught off guard since the Atlanta market seems to be saying this is not that big of a threat for us as far as tornadoes are concerned, and then we get slammed with tornado warnings. Is it me, or does anyone else around Atlanta feel that our meteorologists here down play a lot of severe weather events? I am a mere 11 miles from the Alabama line right off of 27.

Does anyone know how accurate the Tor-Con index is ? I have a Tor-Con of 4 tomorrow while areas 15-20 miles to my west have a Tor-Con of 8 or 9. That confuses me.

Eh, Tor-Con is a made up system by the Weather Channel.

To be honest with you, Western portions of GA (Central to Northern sections....west of Atlanta) has a good shot to see some strong tornadoes tomorrow evening after 5-6pm. The STP has actually increased over these areas. Remember, values over 2 are considered signficant for tornado development. CONUS_ETA212_ATMOS_STP_30HR.gif

I just looked at the torcon as well. Ok so I am to assume where I live is in the 4 range, but my county is in a moderate risk for tomorrow. I just have always felt that Haralson county is more north Ga, than central because to me central Ga is in the area where Macon is located since it's pretty much mid state. I guess this is just a wait and see game at this point. I just don't want our area to be caught off guard since the Atlanta market seems to be saying this is not that big of a threat for us as far as tornadoes are concerned, and then we get slammed with tornado warnings. Is it me, or does anyone else around Atlanta feel that our meteorologists here down play a lot of severe weather events? I am a mere 11 miles from the Alabama line right off of 27.

Actually I think the moderate risk area splits Haralson County in half. So if you're closer to Bremen you are barely in the slight risk area.

To be honest with you, Western portions of GA (Central to Northern sections....west of Atlanta) has a good shot to see some strong tornadoes tomorrow evening after 5-6pm. The STP has actually increased over these areas. Remember, values over 2 are considered signficant for tornado development. CONUS_ETA212_ATMOS_STP_30HR.gif

According to that map, it looks like the Carolina's will have a 2 punch severe weather threat. popcorn.gif

Thank you for posting this, because I have only seen the earlier maps showing the threat areas mainly over AL. I like seeing something for my area.

On another note, GFS is slowing this system down a bit. Looks like it will push through North Georgia around 2am Thursday morning and will likely be in Eastern GA by 8am. (Not the best times to see significant severe weather) I think NW GA is a hot spot for tornadic activity. It'll be interesting to see what SPC puts out for our area. Wouldn't be shocked if they issue another high risk.

On another note, GFS is slowing this system down a bit. Looks like it will push through North Georgia around 2am Thursday morning and will likely be in Eastern GA by 8am. (Not the best times to see significant severe weather) I think NW GA is a hot spot for tornadic activity. It'll be interesting to see what SPC puts out for our area. Wouldn't be shocked if they issue another high risk.

It should be out of NW and W GA by 2am I believe. The prime time for severe weather tomorrow in NW and W GA will be 2pm to 2am according to FFC.

It should be out of NW and W GA by 2am I believe. The prime time for severe weather tomorrow in NW and W GA will be 2pm to 2am according to FFC.

Not based on the newest model runs that are coming out now. GFS and NAM shows intense convection blowing up around NW GA around 6z Thursday (2am).

Just as some of us had figured, high risk is now placed further east.

day1otlk_1200.gif

Would not be surprised to see that Moderate Risk pushed further east through the day. We are going to have a good amount of daytime heating here in the Carolina's. What is your take on tomorrow Gaston?

Would not be surprised to see that Moderate Risk pushed further east through the day. We are going to have a good amount of daytime heating here in the Carolina's. What is your take on tomorrow Gaston?

Check out the blog. I've put down my thoughts regarding the event, and some nice tips on tornado safety. http://gwxmanblog.bl...-up-for_27.html

Would love to have some OBS reports posted on the blog. You can put them in the comment box on my latest post or on the chat if you want. Links to pictures or videos you've taken are welcomed folks.

EDIT(4:24am): Tornado warnings were issued across parts of eastern MS for northern Union, south central Benton, southwestern Tippah, eastern Chickasaw, Monroe, southern Itawamba, southeastern Lee, southeastern Clay,

Lowndes, and southeastern Oktibbeha counties. Strong line of storms continuing to push north and east into southern TN and western AL. Could be a few tornadoes associated with the line as it crosses the MS/AL border.

GSP issued this in the Hazardous Weather Statement at 5am...

THUNDERSTORMS WILL GRADUALLY INCREASE IN COVERAGE ACROSS THE

WESTERN CAROLINAS AND NORTHEAST GEORGIA TODAY...ESPECIALLY THIS

AFTERNOON AND EVENING. AS THE ATMOSPHERE BECOMES MORE UNSTABLE

THROUGH THE DAY...THE THUNDERSTORMS WILL GAIN THE POTENTIAL TO

PRODUCE LARGE HAIL...DAMAGING WIND GUSTS...AND LOCALLY VERY HEAVY

RAINFALL.

A MORE SOLID LINE OF THUNDERSTORMS WILL DEVELOP FROM CENTRAL

TENNESSEE THROUGH THE DEEP SOUTH TODAY AND MOVE EASTWARD ACROSS

THE FORECAST AREA LATE THIS EVENING THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS.

IT IS LIKELY THAT SEVERE...DAMAGING WINDS WILL ACCOMPANY THIS

LINE AS IT MOVES INTO THE REGION. SOME OF THE THUNDERSTORMS ALONG

THE LINE COULD PRODUCE LARGE HAIL AS WELL...AND ISOLATED TORNADOES

WILL BE POSSIBLE.

KEEP ABREAST OF THE LATEST WEATHER CONDITIONS THROUGHOUT TODAY AND

TONIGHT. SEVERE THUNDERSTORM OR TORNADO WATCHES ARE VERY LIKELY

FOR PART OR ALL OF THE AREA LATE TODAY THROUGH TONIGHT. MAKE PLANS

NOW FOR WHERE YOU WILL TAKE SHELTER WHEN THE THUNDERSTORMS ARRIVE.

KEEP AN ALERTING NOAA WEATHER RADIO NEARBY IN CASE WARNINGS ARE

ISSUED WHILE YOU ARE SLEEPING TONIGHT.

Tornado Watch for Georgia

YUP! This line is holding together a LOT better than I anticipated. This is going to be interesting to see how this effects the storms later this afternoon. By that I mean if they fire up a little farther to the south than anticipated... but it's a wait and see game now... Time to go alert the people of La Grange during the cut-in!

surveillance vid. of tornado in Miss.

http://www.clarionledger.com/videonetwork/919987244001/Tornado-caught-on-surveillance-video

that line of thunderstorms is rocking east very fast. Just an hour ago it was coming through Birmingham and now its already in GA. Already a tor. watch in GA and there's several reports of a large tornado in Alabama

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HUNTSVILLE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHWESTERN DEKALB COUNTY IN NORTHEAST ALABAMA...

JACKSON COUNTY IN NORTHEAST ALABAMA...

NORTHEASTERN MARSHALL COUNTY IN NORTHEAST ALABAMA...

It was amazing to watch these storms in MS and AL this morning.....an extremely widespread damaging wind event with embedded tornadoes. This area of rain and storms has made it much farther southeast than modeling indicated, so I am curious to see what that does for instability for the second round later today. I am also interested to see if SPC sticks with the 'high' risk with their update here in a bit.

Strong signature with the cell near Scottsboro, AL, with a history of widespread damage reports.post-3853-0-87989900-1303905377.png

thats the one that has a meso low that began wrapping up southwest of BHM and tracked all the way to northeast Alabama. Its showing some weakening now the last few frames, but for a while there it must have been an incredible storm.

It was amazing to watch these storms in MS and AL this morning.....an extremely widespread damaging wind event with embedded tornadoes. This area of rain and storms has made it much farther southeast than modeling indicated, so I am curious to see what that does for instability for the second round later today. I am also interested to see if SPC sticks with the 'high' risk with their update here in a bit.

I was thinking the same thing. No model had it this far, it literally rocketed northeast from La/Ark/Miss region just a few hours ago. I think it may actually bring some storms and rain to the western Carolinas by noon or shortly after, unless it totally dissippates by then. Hard to say, but cloud tops and where the cooling is on INF shows not that much decay. One thing I'm watching for us tonight is how quickly the next line develops in the same areas to the west, when this final strong 5H vort rounds the bend in western TN. The models show a strong line forming again, but I think maybe once again, it will race east and northeast, reaching the mtns before midnight and spilling toward Upstate and CLT region right after midnight tonight. That could be a dangerous line similar to the one a few weeks ago.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

SOUTHWESTERN BARTOW COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

CHATTOOGA COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

FLOYD COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

HARALSON COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

POLK COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

* UNTIL 900 AM EDT

Archived