Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Next severe weather event April 26-29

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The damage this morning from that weakening line of storms was impressive over northwest ga...countless trees down.

Definitely. I have a friend attending Berry College in Rome, and many there were forced into basements as the line passed. Many, many trees were downed on campus (sad, considering how beautiful of a school it is). She is still without power >4 hours later.

THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR TORNADO WATCH229...230...231...CONTINUES.DAMAGING WINDS/ISOLATED TORNADOES WILL REMAIN A CONCERN ACROSSNORTHEAST AL AND FAR SOUTH-CENTRAL TN INTO EASTERN TN AND EVENTUALLYFAR WESTERN NC/PERHAPS FAR NORTHWEST GA.A NORTHEAST-SOUTHWEST ORIENTED SEVERE QUASI-LINEAR MCS CONTINUES TOGROW UPSCALE/ORGANIZE AND ACCELERATE...CENTERED ALONG THE MIDDLETN/NORTH-CENTRAL AL BORDER AS OF 1630Z. IN ADDITION TO RECENTTORNADO REPORTS...MEASURED SEVERE WIND GUSTS HAVE BEEN NOTED ATLOCATIONS SUCH AS MUSCLE SHOALS AL /52 KT/ AND COURTLAND AL /53 KT/.WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS WILL BE A MARKED CONCERN...WITH TORNADOESPOSSIBLE AS WELL VIA EVOLVING EMBEDDED MESO-VORTICES AMID A SRH-RICHENVIRONMENT. AFTER A MORE IMMEDIATE IMPACT ON THE HUNTSVILLEAREA...THESE STORMS SEEM LIKELY TO REACH THE CHATTANOOGA VICINITYBEFORE 18Z /2PM LOCAL TIME/. AN ADDITIONAL WATCH IS NOT CURRENTLYANTICIPATED FOR EXTREME NORTHWEST GA DUE TO SMALL AREAL EXTENT OFTHE GA THREAT.

45% probs of tornadoes.

I saw that.... I cannot recall the last time I saw tornado probabilities that high before... This is going to be a pretty ugly situation... First you had the storms knock hundereds if not thousands of trees over this morning in West Alabama... Second, those storms took a lot of power lines down (I head at least 250K without power this morning at some point). Third, if you don't have power NOR a weather radio, how are you going to get weather information reliably? Phones, I hope?? Fourth, the amount of heating we are seeing all across Alabama and Georgia... Temperatures are easily pushing low to mid 80s for many of us and there is still a long ways to go until sunset... Fifth, the moisture feed from the Gulf is ridiculous! I'm seeing spotty sprinkles pop up on radar well ahead of the main action in Mississippi...

Needless to say, I am VERY worried about the severity of this outbreak. I have a feeling it's going to get pretty rough for my viewing area and it's going to be an extremely long night...

Huntsville Update

HYDROLOGY...SIGNIFICANT RIVER FLOOD EVENT POTENTIALLY UNFOLDING

ACROSS THE TN VALLEY TODAY. RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 2 TO 3 INCHES HAS

ALREADY FALLEN OVER THE LAST 36 HOURS ACROSS THE NW ALABAMA AND SRN

TN INCLUDING THE IRON CITY AND BIG NANCE BASINS. AMOUNTS SO FAR HAVE

BEEN LESS EAST OF I-65 WITH 1 TO LOCALLY 2 INCHES.

WITH SEVERAL ROUNDS OF ROBUST CONVECTION EXPECTED AHEAD OF THE LATE

EVENING FROPA...RAINFALL TOTALS OF 4 TO 5 INCHES SEEM LIKELY IN THE

IMPACTED BASINS. LATEST GUIDANCE INDICATES THAT MODERATE FLOODING IS

EXPECTED ALONG THE PAINT ROCK AND ELK RIVERS WITH MAJOR FLOODING

ALONG THE BIG NANCE NEAR COURTLAND. IN FACT...THE RIVER STAGE AT

COURTLAND IS FORECAST TO RISE TO 23 FEET BY THURSDAY MORNING. THIS

WOULD BE THE HIGHEST CREST THERE SINCE 1990 AND WOULD CAUSE

SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS IN AND NEAR COURTLAND.

lots of sun and muggy dewpoints ahead of the main front. Alabama, TN and western and northern GA are in for it pretty soon. This is a very serious situation, I hope all of our posters in that area have a plan in case this potential comes to reality. The tops of Anvils in western MS look like they're over 50K feet already. No doubt we're on the cusp of a historic, memorable weather event.

post-38-0-07858000-1303923817.jpg

lots of sun and muggy dewpoints ahead of the main front. Alabama, TN and western and northern GA are in for it pretty soon. This is a very serious situation, I hope all of our posters in that area have a plan in case this potential comes to reality. The tops of Anvils in western MS look like they're over 50K feet already. No doubt we're on the cusp of a historic, memorable weather event.

post-38-0-07858000-1303923817.jpg

Stuck inside a very un-sturdy building at work. Almost like a double-wide trailer, lots of cars around and billboards. I'm not very comfortable with my current situation as I have nowhere to go if a tornado comes....

just had the SVR Tstorm roll through my office here in Davidson. Nothing of any significance except for a few claps of thunder and 10 minuts of moderate rain. Sun is already back out..... looks like the SE is pumped and primed for an historic event. My prayers are will everyone down in GA, TN, and AL. I've already called my Grandma in Smyrna, GA to make sure she stays alert . It's going to get ugly soon.

just had the SVR Tstorm roll through my office here in Davidson. Nothing of any significance except for a few claps of thunder and 10 minuts of moderate rain. Sun is already back out..... looks like the SE is pumped and primed for an historic event. My prayers are will everyone down in GA, TN, and AL. I've already called my Grandma in Smyrna, GA to make sure she stays alert . It's going to get ugly soon.

Praying for your grandma.... Hopefully she is safe and everyone else is too. I'd love nothing more than for there to be no fatalities today. Realistically, I don't know if that's possible though.

lol.... I agree though it's gonna be bad, I bet we get some discrete cells.

I wondered if anyone was going to catch that :guitar:

I have little doubt at this point given the developing cumulus field and strong surface heating. I'm betting there are going to be some monster supercells at some point, especially alabama.

I saw that.... I cannot recall the last time I saw tornado probabilities that high before... This is going to be a pretty ugly situation... First you had the storms knock hundereds if not thousands of trees over this morning in West Alabama... Second, those storms took a lot of power lines down (I head at least 250K without power this morning at some point). Third, if you don't have power NOR a weather radio, how are you going to get weather information reliably? Phones, I hope?? Fourth, the amount of heating we are seeing all across Alabama and Georgia... Temperatures are easily pushing low to mid 80s for many of us and there is still a long ways to go until sunset... Fifth, the moisture feed from the Gulf is ridiculous! I'm seeing spotty sprinkles pop up on radar well ahead of the main action in Mississippi...

Needless to say, I am VERY worried about the severity of this outbreak. I have a feeling it's going to get pretty rough for my viewing area and it's going to be an extremely long night...

Yeah you tv guys are going to have a fun time of it later today/tonight. Cumulus development looks quite robust around your area/central/eastern alabama. SPC hasn't issued a meso discussion yet on it but I would have to think some will pop in this area pretty soon, cape is in the 2500 to 3000 range there.

Well damn go straight to a tornado watch WTH

Tornado Watch

TORNADO WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WT 233NWS

STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

125 PM EDT WED APR 27 2011TORNADO WATCH 233 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 800 PM EDT FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONSNC

NORTH CAROLINA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ALAMANCE ANSON CASWELLCHATHAM CUMBERLAND DAVIDSONDURHAM EDGECOMBE FORSYTHFRANKLIN GRANVILLE GUILFORDHALIFAX HARNETT HOKEJOHNSTON LEE MONTGOMERYMOORE NASH ORANGEPERSON RANDOLPH RICHMONDROCKINGHAM SAMPSON SCOTLANDSTANLY STOKES VANCEWAKE WARREN WAYNEWILSON$$

Well damn go straight to a tornado watch WTH

Tornado Watch

TORNADO WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WT 233NWS

STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

125 PM EDT WED APR 27 2011TORNADO WATCH 233 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 800 PM EDT FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONSNC

NORTH CAROLINA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ALAMANCE ANSON CASWELLCHATHAM CUMBERLAND DAVIDSONDURHAM EDGECOMBE FORSYTHFRANKLIN GRANVILLE GUILFORDHALIFAX HARNETT HOKEJOHNSTON LEE MONTGOMERYMOORE NASH ORANGEPERSON RANDOLPH RICHMONDROCKINGHAM SAMPSON SCOTLANDSTANLY STOKES VANCEWAKE WARREN WAYNEWILSON$

Heck of a time for RAH's radar to be offline, huh?

Thanks a ton for you guys who are keeping an eye on this and educating us weenies in the process. I'm using this info to try and impress on friends of mine to the west in GA/TN that they've got to take this seriously.

Some of this mini-alley may be a consequence of these counties having a higher population than others, giving more people to witness and report tornadoes and their damage. But that may not be the full explanation, as some of the adjacent counties to the east of Atlanta also have high populations.

My theory is that a part of the explanation for the mini-alley may be that warm fronts often tend to stall out over the north suburbs of Atlanta, just south of the mountains of north Georgia. As was the case Saturday, tornado-spawning thunderstorms can get an extra boost of updraft strength and an extra source of rotation from the colliding winds along such fronts

So if the mini-alley is the consequence of a higher population and the fact that warm fronts stall over the northern suburbs, how does that explain so many tornadoes in Carroll County ? A relatively rural county and definitely not in the northern suburbs or anywhere close to mountains.

Tornadic supercells that usually come through Carroll County are ones from East Central Alabama counties like Tallapoosa, Randolph, Cleburne, and Chambers, where severe weather tends to redevelop after passing over the mountain ridges in Central Alabama.

Heck of a time for RAH's radar to be offline, huh?

Thanks a ton for you guys who are keeping an eye on this and educating us weenies in the process. I'm using this info to try and impress on friends of mine to the west in GA/TN that they've got to take this seriously.

I must admit I was expecting it to be a severe thunderstorm watch and the parameters for tornados arent that great around this area YET

Here are the offical probabilties for this watch

Probability of 2 or more tornadoes

Mod (40%)

Probability of 1 or more strong (F2-F5) tornadoes

Low (20%)

Wind

Probability of 10 or more severe wind events

Mod (30%)

Probability of 1 or more wind events > 65 knots

Mod (30%)

Hail

Probability of 10 or more severe hail events

Mod (40%)

Probability of 1 or more hailstones > 2 inches

Mod (30%)

Combined Severe Hail/Wind

Probability of 6 or more combined severe hail/wind events

High (70%)

A couple observations so far...

It's really scary to think that TW 232 has those probabilities and it only includes a small piece of the highest risk area.

Storms passing over the areas in MS, AL, TN, etc. seem to be doing nothing to stabilize the atmosphere because there seems to be another line just as strong coming through 2 hours later.

What a sight this system looks already, and it's only the beginning of what's down the road later today..

3518ums.jpg

On another note:

... A Tornado Warning remains in effect until 100 PM CDT for extreme

southeastern Madison and central Marshall counties...

At 1245 PM CDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar continued to

indicate a tornado. This tornado was located 8 miles northwest of

Union Grove... or about 12 miles north of Arab... moving east at 50

mph.

Other locations in the warning include but are not limited to New

Hope... Hebron... Guntersville... Grant and Columbus City.

Thunder booming just a few miles off to my west...

And here comes the rain - it's pouring enough that it's hard to see the houses across the street. I really need to pick up a rain gauge; I'd love to know how much has fallen since yesterday afternoon here at the house. We had some soakers yesterday, off and on, even early this morning and it's really coming down again. Thankfully, the winds are not too bad at the moment - but with all this soaking rain, especially if it continues and the winds pick up - trees are coming down. And this neighborhood is FULL of trees.

I am also not looking forward to the coming Tornado Extreme Part Deux: Electric Boogaloo. I'm worried about it here, especially after last Saturday (I am really not happy about the possibility of holing up in the closet again) but man...you guys in MS, AL, TN, and GA...I'm truly worried for you.

Times like these, I really, REALLY wish I had a basement.

edit: Tornado Watch just went up from RAH. I'm a little surprised.

Archived