• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Next severe weather event April 26-29

Yeah, I agree.....time and time again these lines out-pace the models by a good deal. However, this one this morning is to a new extreme. I mean, it's a full 4-5 hours ahead of the RPM....this updates every 3 hours!

Very interesting to watch, and I agree....the potential for a nasty line of storms, maybe earlier than indicated, is there for the Carolinas.

Just a note in general....anybody that doesn't think squall lines are dangerous needs to take a look at some of the images I am seeing from Alabama. This has been an incredible event this morning.

I was thinking the same thing. No model had it this far, it literally rocketed northeast from La/Ark/Miss region just a few hours ago. I think it may actually bring some storms and rain to the western Carolinas by noon or shortly after, unless it totally dissippates by then. Hard to say, but cloud tops and where the cooling is on INF shows not that much decay. One thing I'm watching for us tonight is how quickly the next line develops in the same areas to the west, when this final strong 5H vort rounds the bend in western TN. The models show a strong line forming again, but I think maybe once again, it will race east and northeast, reaching the mtns before midnight and spilling toward Upstate and CLT region right after midnight tonight. That could be a dangerous line similar to the one a few weeks ago.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats the one that has a meso low that began wrapping up southwest of BHM and tracked all the way to northeast Alabama. Its showing some weakening now the last few frames, but for a while there it must have been an incredible storm.

It's a really interesting cell. I thought the 4 TVS radar image was a good indication of what it had been doing based on reports and the radar images with the large meso dropping multiple vortices. As has been said I didn't expect to wake up and find the storms so robust.

Yeah, I agree.....time and time again these lines out-pace the models by a good deal. However, this one this morning is to a new extreme. I mean, it's a full 4-5 hours ahead of the RPM....this updates every 3 hours!

Very interesting to watch, and I agree....the potential for a nasty line of storms, maybe earlier than indicated, is there for the Carolinas.

Just a note in general....anybody that doesn't think squall lines are dangerous needs to take a look at some of the images I am seeing from Alabama. This has been an incredible event this morning.

Any chance this rain and cloud cover will hold on longer than expected this morning in NC and keep the temps down and the instability down for storms later tonight?

I doubt rain and storms will do much to hamper instability today in NC.....CAPE values approach 1500-2000 on the NAM this afternoon.....it is a matter of how much instability is left when the dynamics arrive.

Any chance this rain and cloud cover will hold on longer than expected this morning in NC and keep the temps down and the instability down for storms later tonight?

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

816 AM EDT WED APR 27 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

CATOOSA COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

NORTHWESTERN CHATTOOGA COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

SOUTHERN DADE COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

WALKER COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

WEST CENTRAL WHITFIELD COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

* UNTIL 900 AM EDT

* AT 813 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 12 MILES WEST OF

CLOUDLAND...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 55 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

CHICKAMAUGA...LAFAYETTE AND FORT OGLETHORPE.

This is going to be bad for the ATL metro if they hold together.... they are moving at 60+ mph and will arrive at the tail end of rush hour. Everyone either needs to get to work now or stay home until they pass!

Looks to me like they are losing their zip. Tops were as high as 33k feet. The highest one I can find now is 26k and it was 33k just 5 minutes ago.

Great disco Matthew and Robert, the models under performing the severity gives me pause and concern for the entire SE for what is to come.

It's what's coming AFTER this first line that should have everyone worried. Other than some rain, I don't expect much out of this first batch.

I have Huntsville http://www.daculaweather.com/grlevel3/storm_mode_3.php

Birmingham http://www.daculaweather.com/grlevel3/storm_mode_1.php

and Little Rock up right now http://www.daculaweather.com/grlevel3/storm_mode_2.php

along with Atlanta http://www.daculaweather.com/grlevel3/ffc_284.php

I know it still remains to be seen, but typical squall line causing cloudiness all over N. Ga. Just once I'd like to see what happens on a mod to high risk day without cloud cover around here. If atmosphere reloads fully after this I'll be really surprised.

This system is dynamically driven so I don't think there will be any issues with storms NOT re-firing.

It's what's coming AFTER this first line that should have everyone worried. Other than some rain, I don't expect much out of this first batch.

I have Huntsville http://www.daculawea...torm_mode_3.php

Birmingham http://www.daculawea...torm_mode_1.php

and Little Rock up right now http://www.daculawea...torm_mode_2.php

along with Atlanta http://www.daculawea...el3/ffc_284.php

exactly, this afternoon is when the fireworks will get rolling in N GA

The tornado that's on the ground in that cell in extreme NE AL looks to be tracking very close to Chattanooga in the near future.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN

837 AM EDT WED APR 27 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTHWEST BRADLEY COUNTY IN EAST TENNESSEE...

SOUTHERN HAMILTON COUNTY IN EAST TENNESSEE...

SOUTHERN MARION COUNTY IN EAST TENNESSEE...

* UNTIL 930 AM EDT/830 AM CDT/

* AT 834 AM EDT/734 AM CDT/...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR

WAS TRACKING A TORNADO 9 MILES SOUTHEAST OF BRIDGEPORT. DOPPLER

RADAR SHOWED THIS TORNADO MOVING NORTHEAST AT 60 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE...

CHATTANOOGA...LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN...SIGNAL MOUNTAIN...HARRISON...

HALETOWN (GUILD)...RED BANK...EAST BRAINERD...MIDDLE VALLEY...

OOLTEWAH...COLLEGEDALE AND MCDONALD.

This system is dynamically driven so I don't think there will be any issues with storms NOT re-firing.

Exactly my thoughts.... I mean there is already ANOTHER tornado warned cell in Eastern Mississippi.... This is going to get pretty bad across most of Alabama... I'll keep a close eye on my Eastern Alabama viewers because I think the storms will hold together longer (as they have this morning) and will make it into my viewing area... It's going to be a LONG day...

Also, looking at the 10Z run of the HRRR, it's a few hours slow with this first batch of rain, so we'll have to see if this is a trend that will continue into the afternoon/evening hours...

Looks to me like they are losing their zip. Tops were as high as 33k feet. The highest one I can find now is 26k and it was 33k just 5 minutes ago.

Great disco Matthew and Robert, the models under performing the severity gives me pause and concern for the entire SE for what is to come.

I'm still seeing many 30k plus foot tops in NW GA on my Grlevel3.

Yeah, I hope I'm wrong (or right!) whichever your perspective is, it's just that I've lived here my entire life and can't remember 1 significant severe weather outbreak that was preceded by a day of overcast cloudiness. Hopefully we'll be able to get some breaks after this first line passes through.

What's the best site for watching tornado chases live?

This is the one I use...

http://www.chasertv.com/

I doubt there will be a great number of chasers on today...it doesn't seem that the areas most likely to be affected would be very good or safe places to chase tornadic storms (hills, trees, etc.). I could be (and probably am) wrong, though.

This is the one I use...

http://www.chasertv.com/

I doubt there will be a great number of chasers on today...it doesn't seem that the areas most likely to be affected would be very good or safe places to chase tornadic storms (hills, trees, etc.). I could be (and probably am) wrong, though.

I contemplated driving over around the Birmingham area to set up shop and go from there, but this may be too dangerous of a day for me. Chasing in the SE isn't exactly the best environment anyway.

I contemplated driving over around the Birmingham area to set up shop and go from there, but this may be too dangerous of a day for me. Chasing in the SE isn't exactly the best environment anyway.

Got an amateur chaser buddy in the Huntsville area this morning/today. dude is still at his hotel. :rolleyes:

Storms look to be dying out as they move east. Possible moving into a more stable airmass.

I think whats about to happen (more so here than your area) is a development for the western Carolinas. The upstate SC first, then most of western quarter of NC. Strong south, southeast winds ahead of a decaying meso low thats takeing the perfect track for re-development of rains in the upslope areas and generally anywhere of I-77. Then after midday, partial clearing and the main show arrives from west to east tonight. Its going to get rough, no doubt about it.

I think whats about to happen (more so here than your area) is a development for the western Carolinas. The upstate SC first, then most of western quarter of NC. Strong south, southeast winds ahead of a decaying meso low thats takeing the perfect track for re-development of rains in the upslope areas and generally anywhere of I-77. Then after midday, partial clearing and the main show arrives from west to east tonight. Its going to get rough, no doubt about it.

In regards to the main show tonight, what ares do you consider most under the gun ?\

Thanks

Why was the airmass more stable in GA than AL ? It's not like we had a lot of rain ahead of the line of storms. BTW we had about 20 mph winds in Carrollton, nothing impressive.

I don't think it is so much of more "stable" air as it has to do with the line moving further away from the better dynamics. Since there has been little heating of the day you don't have that lift yet. Patience.... the storms will come.

Hope everyone stays safe today/tonight. It will get very bad for a lot of the SE and I pray there are no more fatalities.

I don't think it is so much of more "stable" air as it has to do with the line moving further away from the better dynamics. Since there has been little heating of the day you don't have that lift yet. Patience.... the storms will come.

Hope everyone stays safe today/tonight. It will get very bad for a lot of the SE and I pray there are no more fatalities.

Totally agree with that.

Archived