• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Next severe weather event April 26-29

The only storm on radar right now in the NC foothills is just to my NW. Just missed me! :thumbsdown: I've heard a couple rumbles of thunder but no rain.

I hope those storms developing tonight will train over me too. I could use the rain.

Those storms along the coast have been quite healthy since noon. Lots of needed rainfall falling in the eastern Carolinas.

I know what you are saying. No storms yet even close to my area; however, I do believe that heavy rain will fall across the mountains and foothills this evening and tonight. I would not be shocked if some areas pick up 2-4 inches of rain tonight, given the fact that the storms do develop.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the reason they haven't upgraded any part of our area to a high risk... yet.

VARIABILITY EXISTS AMONG THE MODELS CONCERNING THE DETAILS OF THIS

CYCLOGENESIS...PERHAPS IN PART DUE TO THE INFLUENCE OF CONVECTION

...WHICH COULD BE EXTENSIVE AND ONGOING AT 12Z WEDNESDAY. HIGH

RESOLUTION MODEL DATA IS STRONGLY SUGGESTIVE THAT A SIGNIFICANT

CLUSTER OF STORMS COULD BE IN PROGRESS WEDNESDAY MORNING EAST OF THE

MIDDLE AND LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY. IF THIS VERIFIES...IT IS

UNCERTAIN WHAT INFLUENCE IT WILL HAVE ON SUBSEQUENT BOUNDARY LAYER

DESTABILIZATION ACROSS THE OHIO/TENNESSEE VALLEY REGION. THIS

UNCERTAINTY PRECLUDES AN OUTLOOK UPGRADE TO HIGH RISK PROBABILITIES

AT THE PRESENT TIME. HOWEVER...MOST OTHER INDICATIONS ARE STRONGLY

SUGGESTIVE THAT A MAJOR OUTBREAK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS COMMENCING

TONIGHT ACROSS PARTS OF THE OZARK PLATEAU/LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY

WILL CONTINUE AND EXPAND NORTHWARD AND EASTWARD TOWARD THE

APPALACHIANS DURING THE DAY WEDNESDAY. THIS WILL INCLUDE THE

POTENTIAL FOR LONG-LIVED SUPERCELLS CAPABLE OF STRONG

TORNADOES...AND ORGANIZED STORM CLUSTERS CAPABLE OF STRONG DAMAGING

WIND GUSTS.

Not to tease anyone...but I am seeing good downpours here in north-west NC. Sun comes out after each storm and another one moves in. Hail was reported in north-eastern Wilkes County.

Cool! It looks like you've got the one that just bypassed me now sitting right on top of you. It appears another cell may be beginning to form in Burke County at the moment, but it also looks to eventually pass just to my NW (I'm talking like 5 miles or so). That one will probably make it up your way too. The "training" has begun. I just hope it can widen in expanse a little and share the rain wealth.

lol, do you still think it fizzles over Georgia?

btw Night Storms are amazing, the lightning at night is so beautiful.

Actually, I'm living around the eastern portions of Georgia. The models still hint at a general weakening, especially since it's moving in after 2am Thursday morning. But yes, this event looks significant, especially over Alabama/Tennessee and NW GA.

What is this looking like for west Ga close to the AL line? WSB just talked about it, and only showed rain tomorrow night. They said between 4pm-midnight for any severe storms and super cells. Technically to me Atlanta is considered N Ga, with Columbus over to Macon being considered central Ga. For some reason when the NWS talks about North Ga, they only think that means areas very close to the state line.

What is this looking like for west Ga close to the AL line? WSB just talked about it, and only showed rain tomorrow night. They said between 4pm-midnight for any severe storms and super cells. Technically to me Atlanta is considered N Ga, with Columbus over to Macon being considered central Ga. For some reason when the NWS talks about North Ga, they only think that means areas very close to the state line.

If you are in North Georgia, Severe weather is likely. The worse storms will occur across Western Georgia, preferrably around NW GA. (From Atlanta and points to the NW (around Rome).

Looks nasty.

If you are in North Georgia, Severe weather is likely. The worse storms will occur across Western Georgia, preferrably around NW GA. (From Atlanta and points to the NW (around Rome).

Looks nasty.

How about areas SW of Atlanta, like around Carrollton ? We are in Central GA so maybe it won't be as bad here ?

How about areas SW of Atlanta, like around Carrollton ? We are in Central GA so maybe it won't be as bad here ?

Based on what FFC is saying, scattered supercells with all modes of severe is possible, and then scroll-line Wednesday night. They have Carrollton outlined with greatest threat time from 2pm-2am.

I know this is pretty useless post, but poor Arkansas....roughly 40% of the state is under a Tornado Warning right now. Unbelievable. I don't know if I've ever seen that much of a state under a warning all at the same time.

Look again....Crazy stuff going on out there! I'm going to be on the look out for a few scattered super cells that will develop near my viewing area. The interesting thing about tomorrow is the first wave moving through tomorrow morning then the second wave bringing the greater threat for severe weather.... It's going to be interesting to see just how far east these storms in the morning make it.

Big time boomers moving through the Coastal Plain, seeing flashes every minute or so out the rattling window... Watched pulse type cells miss me all day, but finally it looks like we have some appreciable QPF inbound. Been kind of dry here lately, hopefully it puts down, as I am not pinning any hopes on the frontal passage Thursday.

post-382-0-86369800-1303856883.png

The supercell near Memphis has had a decent longevity. A whole hour now since the tornado had touched down and still holding strong.

The National Weather Service in Memphis has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...

east central Crittenden County in eastern Arkansas...

western Shelby County in southwest Tennessee...

* until 715 PM CDT

* at 610 PM CDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar was tracking

a tornado near West Memphis... or near Marion... moving east at 20

mph.

* Locations in the warning include but are not limited to sunset...

West Memphis... downtown Memphis... Frayser... Midtown Memphis and

Meeman Shelby Forest State Park.

This warning also includes areas near Lake McKellar.

Heavy rainfall may hide this tornado. Do not wait to see or hear the

tornado. Take cover now.

Stats:

Tornadic Thunderstorm

Crittenden County, AR

64 dBZ

Severe Hail: 90% Chance

Hail: 100% Chance

Max Size: 1.75 in.

Echo Top: 38,000 ft.

VIL: 70 kg/m²

Radar Site: NQA

I can't even imagine softball size hail. I'm watching the live stream.

I know right! If you're watching the Fort Smith stream, the guy who held the hail stone is my buddy from college. I'm jealous of their equipment because it not only shows hail but also tornado possibility without showing the storm relative velocity.... so ordinary people are able to understand where the tornado MAY be... Great stuff!

Hopefully I won't have to worry about this tomorrow afternoon for our East Alabama counties, but I have a feeling it'll be a LONG day tomorrow! Also, the tornado that is getting close to Memphis is impressive! I know Gaston has been posting things about it and it's just crazy!

Hard to imagine things getting any worse over there, but latest MSD mentions the low-level jet is expected to strengthen greatly over the next couple of hours.

SVR CONVECTION...INCLUDING SEVERAL POTENTIALLY TORNADIC

SUPERCELLS...CONTINUES TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE ACROSS DISCUSSION

AREA FROM ERN OK TO MS RIVER NEAR MEM.

WARM-SECTOR ENVIRONMENT WILL REMAIN FAVORABLE FOR TORNADIC

SUPERCELLS. IN FACT...PRE-STORM LOW-LEVEL SHEAR PROFILES ARE

EXPECTED TO BECOME VERY FAVORABLE FOR BOTH SIGNIFICANT/DESTRUCTIVE

TORNADOES AND WIND DAMAGE DURING NEXT 3-4 HOURS AS LLJ STRENGTHENS

JUST ABOVE SFC...SUBSTANTIALLY BOOSTING LOW-LEVEL SHEAR AND SRH.

LARGE/DESTRUCTIVE HAIL ALSO IS LIKELY FROM INDIVIDUAL SUPERCELLS.

SFC MESOANALYSIS SHOWS LOW OVER ERN OK JUST W FSM...COLD FRONT SWWD

ACROSS LAMAR COUNTY TX...QUASISTATIONARY FRONTAL ZONE CURVING NEWD

OVER NWRN AND EXTREME N-CENTRAL AR. FRONT BECOMES COLD FRONT AGAIN

FROM NERN AR NEWD ACROSS SERN MO. THOSE FRONTAL ZONES WILL ACT AS

NRN/WRN BOUNDS FOR SFC-BASED EFFECTIVE INFLOW PARCELS...ALTHOUGH

TSTMS TO THEIR N AND W ACROSS SERN KS/NERN OK/SWRN MO REGION WILL BE

IN FAVORABLE ELEVATED SHEAR AND BUOYANCY FOR LARGE HAIL. IN REGIME

OF STG LOW-LEVEL WAA AND SHEAR SE OF FRONTAL ZONE...OUTFLOW

BOUNDARIES PRODUCED BY ONGOING CONVECTION OVER AR MAY MIX/ADVECT

AWAY RATHER QUICKLY...BUT ALSO CAN SUPPLY ADDITIONAL LOW-LEVEL

VORTICITY/SHEAR ABOVE ALREADY STRONG ENVIRONMENTAL VALUES. MODIFIED

RAOBS AND RUC SOUNDINGS INDICATE MLCAPE RANGING FROM 3000 J/KG OVER

CONVECTIVELY UNPERTURBED AIR MASS OF CENTRAL/SRN AR...NARROWING TO

CORRIDOR OF 1500-2500 J/KG MLCAPE NEWD TOWARD LOWEST OH VALLEY.

EFFECTIVE SHEAR MAGNITUDES 50-60 KT AND 0-1 KM SRH 150-300 J/KG ARE

COMMON...WITH SRH FCST TO INCREASE SUBSTANTIALLY AFTER 00Z BENEATH

LLJ.

SPCWARM-SECTOR ENVIRONMENT WILL REMAIN FAVORABLE FOR TORNADICSUPERCELLS. IN FACT...PRE-STORM LOW-LEVEL SHEAR PROFILES AREEXPECTED TO BECOME VERY FAVORABLE FOR BOTH SIGNIFICANT/DESTRUCTIVETORNADOES AND WIND DAMAGE DURING NEXT 3-4 HOURS AS LLJ STRENGTHENSJUST ABOVE SFC...SUBSTANTIALLY BOOSTING LOW-LEVEL SHEAR AND SRH. LARGE/DESTRUCTIVE HAIL ALSO IS LIKELY FROM INDIVIDUAL SUPERCELLS.

EDIT You beat me!

Archived