• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Next severe weather event April 26-29

Plus, most people have nowhere to go if they did decide they needed to evacuate...especially since the civil defense shelter system is no longer in operation. And add that to the fact that most people don't watch local TV or listen to local radio stations anymore. Their 1st clue that something is amiss is what they can see or hear out the window.

Weather nuts like us may know that the conditions are favorable for severe weather days ahead of time and make arrangements to keep informed. Most people do not.

A solution to the problem could be a campaign to have people buy All-Hazards radios like the campaign to put smoke detectors in people's homes.

Why do you have to have somewhere to go if you need to evacuate? If I knew a tornado threat was imminent, and I didn't have a basement/inner room to go to, I would get in the car and just drive away from the area. You don't need to go to some particular shelter somewhere. Just drive 20 minutes away from where the tornado is forecast to go through. Obviously, I'm not advocating getting in a car right as the tornado bears down on your area, but if there is an extreme risk and high likelihood of tornadic activity around your neighborhood in the next several hours, then by all means go hang out at the mall or something.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excerpt from Huntsville AFD, full discussion here (very good one) http://www.daculaweather.com/afd_hun.php

**THIS ROUND OF SEVERE WEATHER (WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON/EVENING) IS

WHERE WE COULD HAVE THE POSSIBILITY OF A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF

TORNADOES TRACKING ACROSS MUCH OF MIDDLE TN AND EXTENDING SOUTHWARD

ACROSS N AL AND CENTRAL AL. THIS WILL MAINLY BE DUE TO THE

POSSIBILITY OF DISCRETE SUPERCELLS.**

Why do you have to have somewhere to go if you need to evacuate? If I knew a tornado threat was imminent, and I didn't have a basement/inner room to go to, I would get in the car and just drive away from the area. You don't need to go to some particular shelter somewhere. Just drive 20 minutes away from where the tornado is forecast to go through. Obviously, I'm not advocating getting in a car right as the tornado bears down on your area, but if there is an extreme risk and high likelihood of tornadic activity around your neighborhood in the next several hours, then by all means go hang out at the mall or something.

Or perhaps we should all go hang out at out neighborhood Lowes?

Hmmm: Let's see how that would have worked down here on April 16....

Dang! Tornadoes are imminent! Let's get in the car and drive.

Up I-95? Nope. 2 tornadoes cross the interstate, one of them twice.

Up NC 87, the other 4-lane out of town? Nope Twister crosses it at Fort Bragg.

The heck with it...let's just take US 401 out of town. Nope. Twister crosses it south of town, then north,, then another one hits right where 401 and 87 converge in Sanford.

Maybe we should drive south. Nope, twister coming up from Bladen county crosses 87 heading for I-95.

The notion in evacuating for a tornado is far different than evacuating for a hurricane. In a tornado, you trade distance for either building integrity or depth below ground. Just getting in the car and driving can get you in even more trouble than hunkering down.

Hmmm: Let's see how that would have worked down here on April 16....

Dang! Tornadoes are imminent! Let's get in the car and drive.

Up I-95? Nope. 2 tornadoes cross the interstate, one of them twice.

Up NC 87, the other 4-lane out of town? Nope Twister crosses it at Fort Bragg.

The heck with it...let's just take US 401 out of town. Nope. Twister crosses it south of town, then north,, then another one hits right where 401 and 87 converge in Sanford.

Maybe we should drive south. Nope, twister coming up from Bladen county crosses 87 heading for I-95.

The notion in evacuating for a tornado is far different than evacuating for a hurricane. In a tornado, you trade distance for either building integrity or depth below ground. Just getting in the car and driving can get you in even more trouble than hunkering down.

How about if you live in a mobile home just head for the nearest ditch ? Isn't that safer than being in a mobile home ?

All the areas shaded in yellow on that map are the TN Valley, which includes much of TN, North AL, extreme North GA, and much of Western NC. Yes, that's right Western NC is in the TN Valley !!

That is based off of actual watersheds. I highly doubt anyone forecasting for the Tennessee Valley is actually talking about the area all the way up to the headwaters. If I'm standing in the Little Tennessee up near Dillard, GA and I'm using the TN Valley forecast I'm going to be greatly disappointed a lot of times. Also, I've got family living in trailers. Where the hell are they supposed to go when a tornado warning comes up. It's not like there are a bunch of shelters or open buildings all around. You've got to do the best you can. Not everyone can afford or wants to live in a house. The fact is if a storm is big enough its not going to matter if you have a basement or not.

How about if you live in a mobile home just head for the nearest ditch ? Isn't that safer than being in a mobile home ?

Absolutely! If you live in a mobile home, any mention of a tornado warning should have you out the door. My contention is that trying to drive away from an outbreak like April 16 could put you in a situation just as bad.

Also, I've got family living in trailers. Where the hell are they supposed to go when a tornado warning comes up. It's not like there are a bunch of shelters or open buildings all around. You've got to do the best you can. Not everyone can afford or wants to live in a house. The fact is if a storm is big enough its not going to matter if you have a basement or not.

Several folks from the Wrangler Lane Mobile Home Park here (which was effectively leveled) took shelter in a nearby church. It was hardly damaged, missing the twister's path by a few hundred yards. But even if it had been hit, they were a lot better off there.

Several folks from the Wrangler Lane Mobile Home Park here (which was effectively leveled) took shelter in a nearby church. It was hardly damaged, missing the twister's path by a few hundred yards. But even if it had been hit, they were a lot better off there.

I'm glad to hear they were safe. However, you don't always have time to find someplace. The ditch idea is a good one. I got caught in a tornado warning during a baseball game one time. We had about 100 people piled into this long culvert for awhile. It was pretty crazy and we actually finished the game afterwards.

I wonder if this could rival the Mother's Day tornado outbreak of 2008 in GA ? There were at least 15 tornadoes that day in North and Central GA. Maybe it's too early to be comparing this to past tornado outbreaks, but i'm just trying to think of what past storm system this one may rival in the GA area. I do find it interesting that most of GA is in a slight risk for tomorrow even though FFC says a major event is expected.

I just watched Matthew East's video for today, and I am really worried about this for central NC overnight Wednesday and Thursday morning. I don't know about a repeat of the 4/16 outbreak, but even if it is not that bad, it looks like the risk is there and it could be worse if it happens overnight.

At the very least there will be a lot of very nervous people in Central NC, especially those directly effected by the tornadoes 10 days ago. If this is even half as bad as that was, it will still be bad.

Anyone see a possible day 2 high risk coming out later today? Remember April 6 started out with Day 2, then afternoon update came and it went to high risk.

If ever you're going to issue another day 2 high risk, this looks like the setup to do it. We'll see though.

Okay, I get the sarcasm in the first statement. My argument is that there is no point in staying in the mobile home. It's better to get out and go somewhere other than where you currently are. As many of you have already posted, it's better to be in the ditch than in that potential projectile.

And, I totally agree with your point on the hurricane evacuation procedures. But, the post I originally responded to said that there was nowhere for them to evacuate to. That's what I take issue with. You don't need to pack a bag for a week and find somewhere to hole up, you simply need to get away from your mobile home structure for a few hours. If it takes a dead-on hit from a tornado, you won't have anything to go back to, but at least you'll have your life.

Okay, I get the sarcasm in the first statement. My argument is that there is no point in staying in the mobile home. It's better to get out and go somewhere other than where you currently are. As many of you have already posted, it's better to be in the ditch than in that potential projectile.

And, I totally agree with your point on the hurricane evacuation procedures. But, the post I originally responded to said that there was nowhere for them to evacuate to. That's what I take issue with. You don't need to pack a bag for a week and find somewhere to hole up, you simply need to get away from your mobile home structure for a few hours. If it takes a dead-on hit from a tornado, you won't have anything to go back to, but at least you'll have your life.

Ironically, a couple of the folks working at the Lowes in Sanford lived in a mobile home park in nearby Broadyway, which was also hit. Had the storm veered a couple of miles east, no one would have heard about Lowe's and thei place would have been flattened.

Such is the capricious nature of these storms. And you are entirely correct....if a tornado is coming, there's ALWAYS someplace to go that's safer than a mobile home ... even if it's a culvert.

Not a dumb question at all...some folks might assume the bulk means greater protection.

I couldn't tell you how many times I have heard people say their modular home is just as safe as a house :gun_bandana:

The sun just broke out here, currently it's 75/68 and I'm not looking forward to the upper 80's but at least there is a nice breeze at the moment :guitar:

Archived