• Created
  • Last Reply

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MEMPHIS TN

1055 PM CDT TUE APR 19 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MEMPHIS HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

EXTREME NORTH CENTRAL DESOTO COUNTY IN NORTHWEST MISSISSIPPI...

SOUTHERN FAYETTE COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE...

SOUTHERN SHELBY COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE...

* UNTIL 1145 PM CDT

* AT 1055 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR MIDTOWN MEMPHIS...

MOVING EAST AT 60 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

COLLIERVILLE...EADS...GERMANTOWN...LAGRANGE...MIDTOWN MEMPHIS...

SOMERVILLE...SOUTHEAST MEMPHIS AND CORDOVA.

Sirens going off here again. Surprised - they apparently do it for Severe T'storm warnings and not just tornadoes. Is that normal throughout the Midwest?

Hamilton County (Cincinnati) sounds them for tornado warnings or thunderstorm warnings during a tornado watch. I'm not a fan of that policy and it's not very common I think; but, some other counties may do it.

TVN video of the MO/IL tornadoes!

That first tornado was not real large but extremely violent. The way it picked up that house I would not be surprised if it was EF4 or EF5 intensity. Depending on the homes structural integrity it very well could be rated a higher end event. The second tornado was pretty large and it seemed pretty strong/violent as well.

pretty impressive if cars were blown off the road

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  
1208 AM EDT WED APR 20 2011     

.TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     
.DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                
..REMARKS..    

1151 PM     TSTM WND DMG     THORNTOWN               40.13N 86.61W   
04/19/2011                   BOONE              IN   AMATEUR RADIO                   

MULTIPLE CARS AND TRUCKS BLOWN OFF THE ROAD. APPROX LOCATION. REPORT CAME BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 147 AND 152 ON INTERSTATE 65.    

Sirens going off here again. Surprised - they apparently do it for Severe T'storm warnings and not just tornadoes. Is that normal throughout the Midwest?

Depends on the local municipality policy. For instance the Quad Cities uses sirens for SVRs issued with winds GTE 70 mph and hail GTE 1.75" (golf balls), in addition to a TOR or sighted funnel cloud/tornado.

I am in favor of the policy for two reasons. The first being that these are outdoor warning systems designed to alert people to head indoors for further information, and I believe a severe thunderstorm should get that attention. The second being that significant severe weather (i.e. 70 mph/2") can be just as deadly as winds that happen to be rotating.

I've seen it for exceptionally severe winds or very large hail. I think it's at the EMS's discretion. Since it's an outdoor warning systems, makes folks think to get inside.

FYI, I'm a first time poster from the Frankfort, KY area. Just wanted to let you all know that the LMK NWS site is not working properly. There are TOR warnings for Metro Louisville and surrounding counties currently, but they are not being shown on the NWS website.

For accurate information on the situation in Central KY, listen live to WHAS radio.

Local news (and Cantore on TWC) reporting structural damage due to possible tornado in Celina, OH (about an hour and a half to my northwest), which would have come from this cell, which is still tor warned to the east.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH

1210 AM EDT WED APR 20 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHEASTERN AUGLAIZE COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL OHIO...

HARDIN COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL OHIO...

* UNTIL 1245 AM EDT.

* AT 1207 AM EDT...RADAR INDICATED THAT THE TORNADO PRODUCING STORM

WAS LOCATED NEAR WAYNESFIELD......MOVING EAST AT 50 MPH. THIS STORM

PRODUCED A POSSIBLE TORNADO TOUCHDOWN IN NORTH CENTRAL AUGLAIZE

COUNTY AT 1206 AM.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

WAYNESFIELD...

ALGER...

ADA...

DUNKIRK...

KENTON...

The line should be on my doorstep within 40 minutes or so. Doesn't appear to be much more than one monster of a gust front getting ready to roll though.

That first tornado was not real large but extremely violent. The way it picked up that house I would not be surprised if it was EF4 or EF5 intensity. Depending on the homes structural integrity it very well could be rated a higher end event. The second tornado was pretty large and it seemed pretty strong/violent as well.

Assuming that was a 1 or 2 family residence I would say it is consistent with significant tornado damage. Notice the roof failed first, and you would surprised how little wind it would take to take the remaining walls once the roof is compromised. This type of thing happens most commonly with garages, once the door fails it is fairly easy to blow the rest of it apart.

That being said, depending on what the interior walls look like I would not be shocked if it pushed the upper bounds of EF-3.

Pushed out latest 04Z Severe Weather Threats. Latest values showing highest instability in KY-IN-TN-E. AR areas, showing Surface based CAPE 1750 j/kg, 0-3KM SRH sitting pretty good between 375-400 m/s, 0-3KM Shear around 40-45 knots. Uploaded at http://smartwxmodel.net/severe.pdf and also city specific forecasts on the main site.

usa.jpg

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  
1240 AM EDT WED APR 20 2011     

.TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     
.DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                
..REMARKS..    

1230 AM     TSTM WND GST     6 S SHELBYVILLE         39.44N 85.78W   
04/20/2011  E85 MPH          SHELBY             IN   AMATEUR RADIO                   

POWER LINES DOWN  

Assuming that was a 1 or 2 family residence I would say it is consistent with significant tornado damage. Notice the roof failed first, and you would surprised how little wind it would take to take the remaining walls once the roof is compromised. This type of thing happens most commonly with garages, once the door fails it is fairly easy to blow the rest of it apart.

That being said, depending on what the interior walls look like I would not be shocked if it pushed the upper bounds of EF-3.

Actually I saw the damage photos from today. It looked like only the roof was ripped off the house(EF1-EF2 damage).

TORNADO WARNING

1247 AM EDT WED APR 20 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

FRANKLIN COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST INDIANA...

BUTLER COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST OHIO...

* UNTIL 115 AM EDT.

* AT 1246 AM EDT...RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF

PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR

HAMBURG......MOVING EAST AT 85 MPH. IN ADDITION TO THE TORNADO...

THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DESTRUCTIVE STRAIGHT LINE WINDS.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

BROOKVILLE...

OXFORD...

ROSS...

HAMILTON...

FAIRFIELD...

SEVEN MILE...

TRENTON...

SOUTH MIDDLETOWN...

MONROE...

MIDDLETOWN...

IN ADDITION...PEPPERTOWN...METAMORA...BLOOMING GROVE...MOUNDS STATE

RECREATION AREA...CEDAR GROVE...NEW TRENTON...MOUNT CARMEL AND

ROCKDALE ARE NEAR THE PATH OF THIS DANGEROUS THUNDERSTORM.

1239 AM EDT WED APR 20 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

1140 PM TORNADO 2 E CELINA 40.56N 84.54W

04/19/2011 MERCER OH EMERGENCY MNGR

PATH OF DAMAGE FROM NORTH EDGE OF LAKE TO STAEGER

RD...INCLUDING COLLAPSE OF A TWO CAR GARAGE...CARS

OVERTURNED AND DAMAGE IN AREA OF WAL-MART AND ALDI.

1158 PM TORNADO 5 N ST. MARYS 40.61N 84.39W

04/19/2011 AUGLAIZE OH EMERGENCY MNGR

ROOF TORN OFF BARN ON EASTERLY RD FROM POSSIBLE TORNADO

After zig zagging through far western Illinois we ended up intercepting the Carlinville/Womac tornado. We were on it well before it initially produced. I've never seen a beaver tail/inflow cloud develop as fast as this thing did right before it produced. It was amazing to watch it all come together. We stopped and helped one family put up a tarp over their west facing wall that had been blown out. Pretty sobering experience.

Here's a short clip.

Archived