joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 18-20th Severe Weather

Chicago Storm

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 15th 12z and 18z GFS continue the trend. In fact 18z shows CAPE of 1250 to 2500 from north to south in IL, dews in mid 60's through much of the state, low LCL's, and 40-50 knots shear with a surface low near Quad Cities at 00z Wed. Something to watch for consistency indeed in this active spring.

April 15th 12z and 18z GFS continue the trend. In fact 18z shows CAPE of 1250 to 2500 from north to south in IL, dews in mid 60's through much of the state, low LCL's, and 40-50 knots shear with a surface low near Quad Cities at 00z Wed. Something to watch for consistency indeed in this active spring.

Haven't looked at the overall setup but the GFS forecast soundings across the area look very impressive.

Just now starting to take a look at this event. Monday looks very capped on the new GFS over the Plains. Tuesday looks a bit more interesting. Decent parameters over central Illinois ahead of the surface low with respectable moisture. Low level wind shear looks pretty nice, but things flatten out pretty quickly above H7.

From central Illinois late Tuesday.

GFS_3_2011041600_F96_39.5000N_90.5000W.png

GFS_3_2011041600_F96_39.5000N_90.5000W_HODO_SM.png

00z GFS leads me again to believe that nothing is going to happen here on Monday. Doubt the SPC even throws in a See Text down here; I just see no signs of anything being able to initiate.

Tuesday to me looks like a squall line threat down here, although I can already tell it's possible that, like with every other system that came through here over the last two months, the convection could fire just to the east of Norman. I definitely think there will be a fairly big wind damage threat in the Southern Plains on Tuesday though, with more discrete storms possible over areas such as MO/IL/IN...closer to the low where surface winds are backed somewhat.

The NAM def stronger than the GFS, 12z runs will be interesting to see.

stinks I would be able to chase for probably another two weeks with work/school and being in Louisville next weekend.

A stronger version of the GFS will definitely get the job done. Will definitely be following model updates over the next few days. Not sure if I'll be able to chase Tuesday or not yet. If the event looks decent by Monday I should be able to weasel my way out of work on Tuesday lol.

00z GFS leads me again to believe that nothing is going to happen here on Monday. Doubt the SPC even throws in a See Text down here; I just see no signs of anything being able to initiate.

Tuesday to me looks like a squall line threat down here, although I can already tell it's possible that, like with every other system that came through here over the last two months, the convection could fire just to the east of Norman. I definitely think there will be a fairly big wind damage threat in the Southern Plains on Tuesday though, with more discrete storms possible over areas such as MO/IL/IN...closer to the low where surface winds are backed somewhat.

Probably a good assessment when looking at the 12z NAM this morning. It wants to pop a surface low across NW OK for a time it looks like, but it just ends up elongated.

from SPC

FOR DAY 4/TUESDAY...ALTHOUGH A MODEST DEGREE OF LARGE SCALE

VARIABILITY STILL EXISTS AMONGST AVAILABLE NUMERICAL GUIDANCE...A

SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS EXPECTED TO CROSS THE MO VALLEY/UPPER MIDWEST ON

TUESDAY. AHEAD OF AN ADVANCING SURFACE LOW/COLD FRONT...IT SEEMS

LIKELY THAT A RELATIVELY MOIST AIRMASS /LOWER TO PERHAPS MIDDLE 60S

F SURFACE DEWPOINTS/ WILL BE IN PLACE ACROSS THE REGION. AFTER THE

POSSIBILITY OF SOME EARLY MORNING HAIL...SEVERE TSTMS ARE PROBABLE

TUESDAY AFTERNOON/NIGHT ESPECIALLY ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE

MIDWEST/OZARKS AND MIDDLE MISSISSIPPI/LOWER OH VALLEYS...PERHAPS

CENTERED ACROSS PORTIONS OF IL/MO. GIVEN AMPLE LOW LEVEL

MOISTURE/VERTICAL SHEAR...WELL-ORGANIZED SEVERE STORMS INCLUDING

SUPERCELLS/BOWS SEEM LIKELY TUESDAY AFTERNOON/NIGHT...WITH ALL

SEVERE HAZARDS POSSIBLE INCLUDING TORNADOES.

Archived