joxey
April 18-20th Severe Weather

Chicago Storm

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From www.wright-weather.com

PAH sounding - impressive CAPE

Also noticed lapse rates are strong - area is heavily capped on Tuesday - will be curious as to the timing of the front. Seems to be debate on that.

Could be a large warm sector - NAM is showing a squall line Tuesday night.

EHI values over a large area are impressive. CAP is also impressive over a large area. Could be an interesting risk outline with a decent size moderate.

Here is KPAH sounding

post-77-0-49707800-1302988704.gif

post-77-0-04924800-1302988712.gif

Also St Louis

post-77-0-25671700-1302988879.gif

post-77-0-34825700-1302988891.gif

Nice "loaded-gun" soundings too....Hodo is perfect....hate seeing this while up here but man.....cap is stronger than what I would prefer....as for earlier post about 30's north of warm front I actually like seeing that....The baroclinicity and shear along that front will be insane.......hope everyone has a SAFE and GOOD chase. From what I see everything looks like a classic setup.

A few specs of 10 3km EHI showing up on the 18z NAM over eastern Missouri.

With the amount of instability and wind shear, any storm rooted along or just south of the warm front from eastern Missouri to central Illinois should do quite well. A nice low-level jet will keep pumping high theta-e right up against the warm front.

EDIT#3: Just noticed the 18z NAM ramps up winds to 50kts at 925mb near Springfield Illinois by 03z. Wow.

NAM_221_2011041618_F78_MXR_2_M_ABOVE_GROUND.png

IMBY - 66 mph winds with a thunder storm last week - six separate hail storms over the last seven days - I am wondering if I can top the weather off here at my house Tuesday night with one more event.

Certainly looks possible.

I currently have 37 degrees with snowflakes mixed with light rain awhile ago. With this amount of cold air available, the amount of warmth progged with this Tues. system, a dryline farther east than normal this spring because of plains drought, and it only being mid April, I think you have a good chance this Tuesday along with the rest of us from now through June!:scooter:

Tuesday will be a Springfield IL to LAF special, ordered by Hoosier. In all seriousness I am wondering about April 19, 1996 with tors tracking along I-72 in central IL.

This is looking like a decent setup. As cyclone mentioned, one thing I'd watch is that winds above 700 mb are pretty unidirectional, although you can still get some pretty decent tornado events in this part of the country despite that.

The one thing I don't like about this setup is the backed-veered-backed wind profile across some parts of the warm sector, particularly closer to the surface low. I'm really not sure how much this factors in, though, because everything else looks absolutely phenomenal.

Tonight's models look pretty similar to the 12/18z for the most part outside minor differences. From the surface to H7 this setup is spectacular. Would definitely prefer a stronger and more westerly H5 component, but as is this setup should get it done. Surface winds look even more backed to me on the new GFS compared to earlier runs. The very strong surface baroclinicy may help keep winds in the warm sector backed a little more than what's currently forecast too. It'll be very interesting to see what the RUC and other high res models show as we get closer.

I have a sneaking suspicion we'll be heading into eastern Missouri Tuesday. Illinois may end up being too capped until sunset or after, so we may end up having to cross the river. As usual the SREF is further east with the best tornado parameters. IMO the SREF is a bit too quick with things sometimes. Probably getting a little too picky this far out, as things will no doubt change by the time we get to Tuesday anyway. In the grand scheme of things this is still looking like a pretty impressive setup. The SPC day3 outlook should be interesting as it may contain some relatively strong wording.

The one thing I don't like about this setup is the backed-veered-backed wind profile across some parts of the warm sector, particularly closer to the surface low. I'm really not sure how much this factors in, though, because everything else looks absolutely phenomenal.

The GFS seems the worst with the backing winds above H7. The NAM keeps the winds above H7 pretty unidirectional. I guess it's all gonna come down to the timing of the H5 jet structure ejection/configuration. Would definitely prefer the NAM's take on the wind fields aloft, but I think even with the GFS there's enough low-level shear to get things cooking. Definitely would prefer a nice shear profile in the lower few km than above H7. :guitar:

As previously stated, I will be chasing on Tuesday.

If anyone would like to tag along let me know. It's always nice to have someone along for the ride. :guitar:

I will probably be in. One more item to clear Tuesday night. Looking to be in Streamwood Monday evening for Bulls party - may stay there overnight to facilitate easy departure Tuesday.

Somewhat off topic but finally got to an official LOT spotter seminar last week after years of missing them. Alsopp basically said that forecasts for last Sunday were overhyped. Found that in contrast to Gino's follow up briefing on Tuesday. The differences in general forecasting philosophy are very interesting.

I will probably be in. One more item to clear Tuesday night. Looking to be in Streamwood Monday evening for Bulls party - may stay there overnight to facilitate easy departure Tuesday.

Somewhat off topic but finally got to an official LOT spotter seminar last week after years of missing them. Alsopp basically said that forecasts for last Sunday were overhyped. Found that in contrast to Gino's follow up briefing on Tuesday. The differences in general forecasting philosophy are very interesting.

Sounds good.

When you know for sure let me know and we'll go from there.

Huge hatched 30% area on the new Day 3 outlook with the risk being talked up.

day3prob_0730.gif

DAY 3 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0230 AM CDT SUN APR 17 2011

VALID 191200Z - 201200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ACROSS MUCH OF THE MIDWEST/OH

RIVER VALLEY TO EASTERN OK/ARKLATEX...

...MIDWEST AND OH/MIDDLE MS RIVER VALLEYS TO THE SOUTHERN

PLAINS/ARKLATEX...

A VERY ACTIVE SEVERE WEATHER DAY IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE REGION ON

TUESDAY...INCLUDING THE POSSIBILITY OF TORNADOES/LARGE HAIL AND

DAMAGING WINDS ESPECIALLY TUESDAY AFTERNOON/NIGHT.

INITIALLY...ELEVATED EARLY DAY TSTMS /SOME CAPABLE OF SEVERE HAIL/

WILL BE ONGOING ACROSS THE MIDWEST/OH RIVER VALLEY ON THE EDGE OF A

NORTHEASTWARD BUILDING ELEVATED MIXED LAYER. OTHERWISE...BENEATH THE

BUILDING CAP...LOW LEVEL MOISTURE WILL AGGRESSIVELY ADVECT

NORTHEASTWARD AS STRONG SOUTHWESTERLY LOW LEVEL WINDS ARE MAINTAINED

THROUGH THE DAY. ACCORDINGLY...LOWER TO MIDDLE 60S F SURFACE

DEWPOINTS WILL BECOME INCREASINGLY ESTABLISHED TO THE EAST OF A

LOWER MO VALLEY SURFACE LOW AND ALONG/SOUTH OF A NORTHWARD MOVING

WARM FRONT ACROSS THE OH RIVER VALLEY/MIDWEST. BENEATH THE STRONG

EML/PLUME OF STEEP MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES...MODERATELY TO STRONG

INSTABILITY WILL LIKELY EXIST ACROSS THE PRE-COLD FRONT WARM SECTOR

BY AFTERNOON...WITH UPWARDS OF 2000-4000 J/KG OF MLCAPE POSSIBLE.

AIDED BY A NORTHEASTWARD ADVANCING SHORTWAVE TROUGH/ASSOCIATED

HEIGHT FALLS...TSTMS SHOULD ERUPT BY MID/LATE AFTERNOON INTO EARLY

EVENING AHEAD OF A DEEPENING LOWER MO VALLEY/MIDDLE MS VALLEY

SURFACE LOW AND NORTHEAST-SOUTHWEST ORIENTED COLD FRONT. SUCH

VIGOROUS DEEP CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT CURRENTLY APPEARS MOST PROBABLE

TO INITIALLY OCCUR ACROSS EASTERN/SOUTHERN MO INTO WESTERN IL...AND

A BIT LATER ACROSS EASTERN OK/NORTHWEST AR IN VICINITY OF THE

DRYLINE.

AMPLE LOW LEVEL MOISTURE/VERY STRONG LAPSE RATES AND DEEP LAYER

SHEAR OF 35-45 KT COINCIDENT WITH THE COLD FRONT/NEARBY WARM SECTOR

WILL BE FURTHER ACCENTUATED BY LONG/CURVING LOW LEVEL HODOGRAPHS

AIDED BY 40-55 KT WINDS WITHIN THE LOWEST 1-2 KM. THUS...INITIAL