• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 7th-10th Severe Weather

IND has some comments too...

THE MAIN SHOW THOUGH WILL BE ON SUNDAY/SUNDAY NIGHT AS A VERY POTENT SYSTEM MOVES THROUGH THE UPPER MIDWEST. A STRONG LOW LEVEL JET WILL MOVE THROUGH ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON FOLLOWED BY A 100 PLUS KT UPPER LEVEL JET THAT EVENING. UNLIKE PREVIOUS STORM SYSTEMS SO FAR THIS SPRING...THIS ONE WILL HAVE SOME INSTABILITY TO WORK WITH AS WELL AS DYNAMICS.

FYI, I just posted some thoughts on my blog...

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So...

I will likely be chasing on Saturday and/or Sunday(probably both)... I am looking for a chase partner(s).

I have gone out alone on both chases thus far this season, and going out alone on these long distance chases are a pain in the ass...so if anyone would be interested please let me know.

This looks like a great weekend, Eastern Iowa and NW Illinois look prime for a couple rounds, although that is likely to change given the range. Will be nice to have what looks like a couple warm spring days with storms to track coinciding nicely with the weekend.

Izzi (LOT)

EVENTUALLY...STRONG UPPER TROUGH WILL PUSH EAST WITH STRONG FORCING

RESULTING IN WEAKENING CAP AND THUNDERSTORMS WITH COLD FROPA.

IMPOSSIBLE TO SORT THROUGH THE DETAILS AND SAY WHERE...BUT LIKELY

PRESENCE OF SIGNIFICANT EML/SEASONABLY STRONG PUSH OF WARM/MOIST AIR

FROM WIDE OPEN GULF/STRONG LOW/DEEP LAYER SHEAR SHOULD SUPPORT

MULTI-DAY AND POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT SEVERE WEATHER

THREATS...PRIMARILY DURING THE AFTERNOON/EVENING HOURS.

TIMING/LOCATION OF GREATER POTENTIAL SEVERE WEATHER IS IMPOSSIBLE TO

PIN DOWN...BUT SYNOPTICALLY FAVORABLE LARGE SCALE PATTERN SUGGESTS

THAT DECENT THREAT OF SEVERE WEATHER WILL EXIST IN OR NEAR THE

CHICAGO CWA SOME POINT IN TIME THIS WEEKEND.

IZZI

Geez...the 6z GFS has nearly 4000 j/kg of SBCAPE and a LI's topping out at -11 in southeast IA on saturday, talk about impressive number for this time of year this far north.

That's pretty mondo, from a currently progged instability standpoint, things look about as good as you get this time of year.

Well the 12z NAM keeps the warm front on saturday evening along and south of I-80 with moisture pooling on it and south with dew points near 70 and alot of instability but still capped. It does break the cap along the dryline in KS/OK but moisture decreases the further south along the dryline you go.

Some really nice looking wind profiles/hodographs on the warm front with some impressive sfc-500mb crossovers and with storm motions almost parallel to the boundary in northern MO/southern IA/western IL, it would certainly make for an interesting scenario if the cap were to break.

found this interesting from DMX

STILL FAVOR THE DEEPER AND SLOWER

SOLUTIONS OF THE ECMWF/GEM OVER THE MORE PROGRESSIVE GFS THOUGH THE

00Z ECMWF LOOKS A LITTLE FAR SOUTH. LIKELY WILL HAVE A FEW

THUNDERSTORMS AROUND ON SATURDAY AND POSSIBLY SOME SEVERE WEATHER.

SUNDAY STILL LOOKS TO HAVE THE GREATEST THREAT FOR SEVERE STORMS

WITH POTENTIAL DRY LINE REACHING THE AREA.

Well the 12z NAM keeps the warm front on saturday evening along and south of I-80 with moisture pooling on it and south with dew points near 70 and alot of instability but still capped. It does break the cap along the dryline in KS/OK but moisture decreases the further south along the dryline you go.

Some really nice looking wind profiles/hodographs on the warm front with some impressive sfc-500mb crossovers and with storm motions almost parallel to the boundary in northern MO/southern IA/western IL, it would certainly make for an interesting scenario if the cap were to break.

12z NAM has nicely shaped hodographs here on Saturday...only problem is that the flow is pretty anemic from about 700 mb to the surface.

Archived