• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 7th-10th Severe Weather

Do you think the projected dews for this weekend system are realistic for the Midwest? Models overdid dews for the Midwest for the last event. But with the progged flow giving the gulf time to recover as I have been reading, who knows?

I think we have a legit shot at mid to upper 60 dews with this system, the SE ridge will be sliding off the coast tonight/tomorrow and pretty much open up the flood gates from the gulf.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think the projected dews for this weekend system are realistic for the Midwest? Models overdid dews for the Midwest for the last event. But with the progged flow giving the gulf time to recover as I have been reading, who knows?

The GFS tends to be a couple degrees too high compared to observed dewpoints, but it also always grossly underestimates the surface temps in the warm sector. All things considered, it typically underestimates instability somewhat. On the synoptic scale leading up to the event though, there's no reason to doubt that there will be sufficient moisture over a widespread region.

I think we have a legit shot at mid to upper 60 dews with this system, the SE ridge will be sliding off the coast tonight/tomorrow and pretty much open up the flood gates from the gulf.

Agreed. The sacrificial lamb system tomorrow will also assist with setting up the moisture transport for this event.

BTW, 12z GFS has 4000J/kg CAPE in western IL on Saturday, with over 90 degrees of turning from sfc to 500mb.

Agreed. The sacrificial lamb system tomorrow will also assist with setting up the moisture transport for this event.

BTW, 12z GFS has 4000J/kg CAPE in western IL on Saturday, with over 90 degrees of turning from sfc to 500mb.

Yep I saw that, and with the stronger mid-level winds still out to the west, storm motions would be ok if something could go up on the warm front.

Just checked the 84 hour forecast sounding for Quincy...that is outrageous for early April. LI of -9 too.

Although this is with dews over 70 which I won't believe until I see it. OTOH it is probably too cool at the surface.

post-14-0-39285700-1302112644.jpg

Yeah see this is the thing that is a bit alarming for me, these early season events end up more unstable than forecasted. How much more unstable could it truly get...

Yeah see this is the thing that is a bit alarming for me, these early season events end up more unstable than forecasted. How much more unstable could it truly get...

I don't know. That sounding is something out of May or June. I'd be curious to see what it looked like if it were modified for something like 85/67.

Probably similar CAPE values, although the LCL height would probably be higher.

Ya think? ;)

All kidding aside... Just started looking more at this weekend. Definitely looks like a potentially dangerous setup. If the trough doesn't go negative tilt until fully into the Midwest, maybe things don't "line out" as quickly and thus the tornado threat is enhanced. I doubt moisture will be a big issue, with Tds getting into the 60s. Need to make sure we keep the LCL heights low enough. Everything else looks pretty good at this point.

Ya think? ;)

All kidding aside... Just started looking more at this weekend. Definitely looks like a potentially dangerous setup. If the trough doesn't go negative tilt until fully into the Midwest, maybe things don't "line out" as quickly and thus the tornado threat is enhanced. I doubt moisture will be a big issue, with Tds getting into the 60s. Need to make sure we keep the LCL heights low enough. Everything else looks pretty good at this point.

Yeah this is one of those events where I wish I didn't have to work on the weekends. I'd love to be out in that area all weekend.

So...

I will likely be chasing on Saturday and/or Sunday(probably both)... I am looking for a chase partner(s).

I have gone out alone on both chases thus far this season, and going out alone on these long distance chases are a pain in the ass...so if anyone would be interested please let me know.

Bump.

Bump.

I'll be going with a group of 4-8 people I know from NIU, so that'd be just fine with me. I'd like to make it into a 2-day trip (start Saturday, stay in a hotel, then jump to our position for Sunday early on), especially since it seems we'll get an extended time period to mess around with the dryline and warm front this far east.

I'll be going with a group of 4-8 people I know from NIU, so that'd be just fine with me. I'd like to make it into a 2-day trip (start Saturday, stay in a hotel, then jump to our position for Sunday early on), especially since it seems we'll get an extended time period to mess around with the dryline and warm front this far east.

lol I wonder if I know any of them from NIU.

I'm liking saturday over sunday right now.

Ya think? ;)

LCL heights are a worry. I think we could get into a situation on Saturday where temps will be 85-90 over a large area, causing quite a bit of mixing and making these dews bust by 5-8F. Then again, higher based supercells do make for some great photogeneic opportunities, as was the case on Sunday.

lol I wonder if I know any of them from NIU.

I'm liking saturday over sunday right now.

Only reason Sunday would be any worse is due to cloud cover and/or storm speed. I'm not convinced cloud cover is going to be that big of an issue though. I actually like the dynamics on Sunday better, especially with the chance of the dryline punching abnormally far east and somewhat deeper BL moisture (lower LCLs).

From the IWX afternoon weather briefing for EMA's:

Just to re-iterate, this storm system has the potential to be a major

weather event for the area (something we have not seen in a very long

time). It has the potential to produce devastating damage, not the

typical isolated-scattered reports we see from an average severe weather

event.

The purpose of the briefing was to highlight this potential, and give

people ample time to start making preparations. Again, much uncertainty

is still present due to current model handling of the upper level trough

and forecasts could certainly change. An update briefing will be held by

our office at 10:30 AM EDT Friday.

Archived