April 7th-10th Severe Weather

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Information on Mapleton:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OMAHA/VALLEY NE

308 PM CDT SUN APR 10 2011

...TORNADO DAMAGE IN MONONA COUNTY IOWA INCLUDING MAPLETON...

THIS IS A PRELIMINARY MESSAGE. ADDITIONAL DETAILS MAY BE PROVIDED

LATER.

A SURVEY TEAM DID A DAMAGE ASSESSMENT OF THE TORNADO THAT MOVED

ACROSS PARTS OF MONONA COUNTY IOWA SATURDAY EVENING APRIL 9 2011.

THIS INCLUDED THE TOWN OF MAPLETON.

SO FAR...A PATH LENGTH OF AROUND 3.5 MILES HAS BEEN DETERMINED. THE

MAXIMUM WIDTH OF THE TORNADO WAS 0.75 MILES. THE WORST DAMAGE WAS

NOTED TO BE IN THE LOWER END OF THE EF3 CATEGORY.

MONONA COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ESTIMATED 12 TO 14 INJURIES...THE

WORST OF WHICH WAS A BROKEN LEG.

EF3 WIND DAMAGE IS CAUSED BY WINDS ESTIMATED AT 136 TO 165 MPH.

http://www.crh.noaa....=66512&source=0

4 EF2s and 2 EF3s in Sac and Pocahontas counties. 1 EF1 in Kossuth County.

Note that one of the tornadoes was 2-3 mi wide O__O (Tornado No 1 in Pocahontas Co). Other than that, almost all the rest of the tornadoes in the Sac-Pocahontas counties were 1/2 - 1 mile wide, and all but one in the two counties had path lengths around 8-16 miles long. Beastly.

Divided up into different colors to differentiate between the three counties:

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA

837 PM CDT SUN APR 10 2011

...PRELIMINARY DAMAGE SURVEY RESULTS FOR SAC...POCAHONTAS...AND

KOSSUTH COUNTIES...

THE STORM SURVEY INVESTIGATION IS STILL ONGOING AND SUBJECT TO

FURTHER COORDINATION WITH LOCAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCIES.

THIS SURVEY WILL BE UPDATED ON MONDAY WITH ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

...SURVEY FOR SAC COUNTY, IOWA...

THE FOLLOWING IS A PRELIMINARY ASSESSMENT FOR THE DAMAGE THAT

OCCURRED OVER SAC COUNTY ON APRIL 10, 2011.

* EVENT DATE: APRIL 10, 2011

* TORNADO NUMBER 1

* ESTIMATED START TIME: UNKNOWN

* EVENT TYPE: (EF2) TORNADO

* EVENT LOCATION: TORNADO BEGAN 6 NNE ODEBOLT AND ENDED 1.5 NE EARLY

* PEAK WIND: 132 MPH

* AVERAGE PATH WIDTH: 1/2 MILE WIDE

* PATH LENGTH: 9 MILES LONG

* INJURIES: UNKNOWN

* FATALITIES: NONE KNOWN

* DISCUSSION/DAMAGE: MULTIPLE HOMES DAMAGED

* TORNADO NUMBER 2

* EVENT TYPE: (EF3) TORNADO

* EVENT LOCATION: TORNADO BEGAN 1 N ODEBOLT AND ENDED 5 NW EARLY

* PEAK WIND: 140 MPH

* AVERAGE PATH WIDTH: 1 MILE WIDE

* PATH LENGTH: 11 MILES LONG

* DISCUSSION/DAMAGE: MULTIPLE HOMES DAMAGED OR DESTROYED

* TORNADO NUMBER 3

* EVENT LOCATION: TORNADO BEGAN 1.5 WSW NEMAHA AND ENDED

APPROXIMATELY 4.5 S NEWELL

* PEAK WIND: 125 MPH

* PATH LENGTH: 8 MILES LONG FOR THIS SEGMENT...ANOTHER TEAM IS

SURVEYING A PORTION OF THE SAME STORM THROUGH ANOTHER AREA.

* DISCUSSION/DAMAGE: HIGH TENSION WIRES DOWN...MULTIPLE HOMES

DAMAGED OR DESTROYED...HOG OUTBUILDINGS DOWN.

* TORNADO NUMBER 4

* EVENT LOCATION: TORNADO BEGAN 2.5 NW NEMAHA AND ENDED ABOUT 4 NW

OF NEMAHA.

* PATH LENGTH: 12 MILES LONG

* DISCUSSION/DAMAGE: MULTIPLE HOMES DAMAGED OR

DESTROYED...OUTBUILDINGS DOWN

...SURVEY FOR POCAHONTAS COUNTY, IOWA...

OCCURRED OVER POCAHONTAS COUNTY ON APRIL 10, 2011.

* TORNADO NUMBER 1

* EVENT LOCATION: TORNADO BEGAN 4 SW OF VARINA AND CROSSED THE

COUNTY LINE AND ENDED 2 NNW OF WARE

* AVERAGE PATH WIDTH: 2-3 MILES WIDE

* PATH LENGTH: 16 MILES LONG

* DISCUSSION/DAMAGE: IN VARINA A CHURCH GYMNASIUM COLLAPSED.

AN OLDER HOUSE COLLAPSED AND WAS MOVED OFF OF ITS FOUNDATION.

* TORNADO NUMBER 2

* EVENT TYPE: (EF3) TORNADO

* EVENT LOCATION: TORNADO 5 SOUTHWEST OF WARE AND TRAVELED ABOUT 3

MILES TO ABOUT 2 S OF WARE AND MERGED INTO THE PREVIOUS TRACK.

* PEAK WIND: 165 MPH

* AVERAGE PATH WIDTH: 300-400 YARDS

* PATH LENGTH: 2-3 MILES LONG

* DISCUSSION/DAMAGE: A MANUFACTURED WICK HOME WAS COMPLETELY

REMOVED. A COMBINE WAS BLOWN INTO A FIELD AND ROLLED OVER

SEVERAL TIMES.

...SURVEY FOR KOSSUTH COUNTY, IOWA...

OCCURRED OVER KOSSUTH COUNTY ON APRIL 10, 2011.

* TORNADO NUMBER 1

* EVENT TYPE: (EF1) TORNADO

* EVENT LOCATION: TORNADO BEGAN 3 WNW OF ST. JOSEPH AND ENDED 2

MILES NORTHWEST OF ST. JOSEPH.

* PEAK WIND: 90 MPH

* AVERAGE PATH WIDTH: 200 YARDS

* PATH LENGTH: 1.5 MILES

* DISCUSSION/DAMAGE: A HOG CONFINEMENT WAS FLATTENED AT THE

BEGINNING OF THE TORNADO NEAR 100TH ST AND 100TH. ABOUT ONE HALF

MILE EAST OF THAT...LARGE WINDOWS WERE BLOWN OUT OF A HOUSE AND

HALF OF A SHED WAS COLLAPSED.

&&

http://www.crh.noaa....=66515&source=0

Three more tornadoes in FSD's area.

So far count across the OAX-DMX-FSD NWSFO's is 2 EF1's, 6 EF2's, 3 EF3's.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=fsd&storyid=66507&source=0

...TORNADO NEAR NEWELL IOWA RATED EF2...

* EVENT LOCATION: Tornado began 2 miles northwest of Nemaha and ended

approximately at the Buena Vista, Sac, Pocahontas, Calhoun county line.

* AVERAGE PATH WIDTH: 1/2 mile wide

* PATH LENGTH: 12 miles long.

* DISCUSSION/DAMAGE: Multiple homes and outbuildings damaged or destroyed.

Philip Schumacher – Science and Operations Office

National Weather Service Sioux Falls, South Dakota

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SIOUX FALLS SD

138 PM CDT SUN APR 10 2011

...TORNADO NEAR ARTHUR IOWA RATED EF2...

A SUPERCELL DEVELOPED OVER NORTHEAST NEBRASKA ON THE EVENING OF

APRIL 9 AND PRODUCED SEVERAL TORNADOES OVER NORTHWESTERN IOWA. ONE

TORNADO DEVELOPED SOUTHWEST OF ARTHUR IOWA IN SOUTHERN IDA COUNTY

BETWEEN 8:15 AND 8:20 PM CDT. THE MOST SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE WAS DONE

TO A FARM THAT WAS LOCATED 2 MILES WEST OF ARTHUR WHERE SEVERAL

BUILDINGS WERE DAMAGED AND THERE WAS DAMAGE TO TREES AND POWER LINES.

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ONSITE SURVEY HAS RATED THE TORNADO AS

EF2. THE TORNADO DEVELOPED SOUTHWEST OF ARTHUR AND STRENGTHEN AS IT

CROSSED HIGHWAY 175 TWO MILES WEST OF ARTHUR WHERE IT DID EF2 DAMAGE

TO A FARMSTEAD. THE TORNADO WAS AT ITS WIDEST IN THIS AREA...HAVING

A WIDTH OF ONE-QUARTER MILE. THE TORNADO CONTINUED TO MOVE NORTHEAST

AND WEAKENED AS IT MOVED NORTH OF ARTHUR. THE TORNADO HAD A PATH

LENGTH OF APPROXIMATELY 4 MILES.

A WEAKER TORNADO DEVELOPED SOUTHWEST OF GALVA IOWA AROUND 840 PM

CDT. THIS TORNADO WAS RATED EF1 WHEN IT DID DAMAGE TO AN ETHANOL

PLANT 2 MILES SOUTH OF GALVA NEAR HIGHWAY 20.

OTHER STORM SURVEYS ARE BEING PERFORMED ACROSS NORTHWESTERN IOWA BY

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SURVEY TEAMS FROM DES MOINES IOWA AND OMAHA

NEBRASKA. THIS INCLUDES A SURVEY OF A TORNADO WHICH DID DAMAGE NEAR

NEWELL IOWA IN BUENA VISTA COUNTY.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THESE TORNADOES...INCLUDING SPECIFIC TRACK

INFORMATION...WILL BE POSTED TO OUR WEB SITE AT

WEATHER.GOV/SIOUXFALLS EARLY NEXT WEEK.

$

4 EF2s and 2 EF3s in Sac and Pocahontas counties. 1 EF1 in Kossuth County.

Note that one of the tornadoes was 2-3 mi wide O__O (Tornado No 1 in Pocahontas Co). Other than that, almost all the rest of the tornadoes in the Sac-Pocahontas counties were 1/2 - 1 mile wide, and all but one in the two counties had path lengths around 8-16 miles long. Beastly.

Divided up into different colors to differentiate between the three counties:

http://www.crh.noaa....=66515&source=0

2-3 miles wide seems like an error but maybe it was. One tornado sounds like it might as well be rated EF4 since the wind speed is only 1 mph away from it.

2-3 miles wide seems like an error but maybe it was. One tornado sounds like it might as well be rated EF4 since the wind speed is only 1 mph away from it.

There have been tornadoes wider than 2 miles wide. The current record is being held by the 2.5 mile wide F4 that hit Hallam, Nebraska on May 22, 2004. It sounds like this tornado might have broken that record.

There have been tornadoes wider than 2 miles wide. The current record is being held by the 2.5 mile wide F4 that hit Hallam, Nebraska on May 22, 2004. It sounds like this tornado might have broken that record.

You would think a tornado that is 2-3 miles wide would be an EF4 or EF5. I guess it did not impact enough structures to be rated higher than EF2.

You would think a tornado that is 2-3 miles wide would be an EF4 or EF5. I guess it did not impact enough structures to be rated higher than EF2.

Or it might not have been that strong. There's somewhat of a relationship between size and intensity but you can find a lot of examples that go against it.

Or it might not have been that strong. There's somewhat of a relationship between size and intensity but you can find a lot of examples that go against it.

Yeah, there seems a good correlation between size and intensity but it does not necessarily since its a damage scale. A tornado more than a mile-wide might only do F1(EF1) or F2(EF2) damage on either the F-scale or EF-scale, but a rope tornado less than 100 yds wide might do F4(EF4) or F5(EF5). Good examples of violent rope/cone tornadoes would be like Tracy, MN, Pampa, TX, Oakfield, WI, and Elie, MB. Large tornadoes that were fairly weak were like Happy, TX. and the one during the May 10th outbreak from last year that was 1.4 miles-wide.

Not going to lie, at first we had no idea this was even a tornado (there was a satellite rope tornado to the Southwest that we were concentrating on) and I looked to the Northwest and started asking my right hand man Brad if that was a wedge on the ground. The more we watched it, the more we were convinced. Had no idea it was 2-3 miles wide though. Absolutely amazing. We saw so many tornadoes last night that we literally lost count. Amazing two day chase - I'll never chase in Wisconsin again though, awful terrain, awful data, awful road network.

post-783-0-85205300-1302505244.png

So Chi Storm, myself and 2 others rode the Mapleton supercell from its infancy (first radar echoes) in eastern Nebraska all the way to Pocahantas, IA this evening. What an amazing storm. It occluded and re-strengthened over a half dozen times, and at a couple points had several mesos all rotating around each other. Just before it hit Mapleton, it had occluded and formed this massive cyclonic gyre (essentially one big meso) with an extremely long and impressive inflow tail. We rode to Mapleton to get ahead of it, and stopped under the BP gas station awning there to take shelter from one of the many hail shafts this thing spit out along the way, which were extremely prominent and very noticeable. It was truly awesome to see it dump a massive load of hail and see it fall to the ground in a matter of seconds.

About the time we got to the station, we had another hail shaft threatening the vehicle, so we hunkered down. Right at about this time, it cycled, and produced a new meso within a couple of minutes. Chi Storm caught a snapshot of the meso at the time the tornado was developing. We hopped in the vehicle immediately and sped away from the station, as it had literally developed and moved towards us from just a few hundred yards away. Luckily we got to an escape route right down the street about 20-30 seconds before it did. It then proceeded to chase us out of town and eventually grow into a big tornado. The shot Chi Storm took above was looking back down the road, and though you can't tell from the picture, it was heading right for us at a pretty good clip.

We got beat up a bit by the FFD, but luckily was able to ride the edge and not take serious damage to the vehicle. After hunkering down near Battle Creek, we caught up to it in time to see it dropping another tornado.

Later, we got some great lightning and structure video. The storm structure tonight was simply awesome.

Since csnavywx handled the disco, here are a few pictures/video to go with it...

skyhigh71.jpg

skyhigh72.jpg

skyhigh73.jpg

skyhigh74.jpg

Sounds like a missed out on a good event (or two, but I'm just finishing reading this thread) this weekend.

Looking back at some of the posts, I saw a few related to this. The main difficulty is that it is a damage scale and not a direct measurement. For that reason if a tornado doesn't hit any structures of significance there is no way to tell approximately how strong the winds were. I think back to the survey I did on 6/6/10 of the Magnolia, IL tornado from the day before. I have a feeling it may have been a low end EF3, but it was cycling as it entered town. Therefore no structures showed higher than EF2 damage, and outside of town there was nothing to hit besides open fields. Our team decided we would rate it right up to the top of the EF2 scale in that case (135 mph not 136 mph).

You can also run into the problem of poorly built or maintained structures. Those can be completely destroyed at a much lower wind speed than otherwise expected. This is why the EF-Scale has upper and lower bounds.

Another possibility, mainly in regards to the 1 mph short of EF4 discussion, is that only one structure had damage indicative of higher strength. Sometimes that isn't enough to jump to the next rating. Was that construction poor, was it damaged by other debris and not the tornadic winds, etc? Sometimes secondary confirmation is more appropriate. Also, if damage was truly in the violent (EF4/EF5) range, experts are called in so they can examine the construction quality down the individual anchor points and hurricane clips.

And there have also been some good posts about how the more destructive tornadoes are generally also quite large, but several contradictory examples were brought up. Some of the teams that made up VORTEX2 have data that almost looks as if whole mesos have descended to the ground, giving the appearance of a very wide damage path (which is wind damage that rotated cyclonically), so where do you end the tornado damage swath can sometimes be tricky.

Just trying to maybe shed some light onto the subject for those that are less familiar with it, but that's why damage surveys are so interesting, so many variables involved.

And there have also been some good posts about how the more destructive tornadoes are generally also quite large, but several contradictory examples were brought up. Some of the teams that made up VORTEX2 have data that almost looks as if whole mesos have descended to the ground, giving the appearance of a very wide damage path (which is wind damage that rotated cyclonically), so where do you end the tornado damage swath can sometimes be tricky.

Just trying to maybe shed some light onto the subject for those that are less familiar with it, but that's why damage surveys are so interesting, so many variables involved.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but whats the difference between a meso coming all the way to the ground and a two mile-wide tornado? ....Couldn't all tornado damage be described as "wind damage that rotated cyclonically" (save for updrafts in the tornado, i suppose).

NWS DMX has put out a page on the tornadoes, which includes prelim tracks and damage pictures. You may check it out here:

http://www.crh.noaa....=66541&source=0

Information from the page indicates that the towns of Early and Varina took direct hits, with extensive damage in both (some rivaling the Mapleton damage IMO). They were lucky the tornado(es) were not stronger when they hit.

One of the tornadoes has been upgraded to an EF3, and in my previous count i had counted one of the tornadoes twice. Additionally I think DMX merged the tracks of two of the tornadoes. Thus the revised total is across the three CWA's affected on the 9th is:

2 EF1

3 EF2

4 EF3

9 total tornadoes.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but whats the difference between a meso coming all the way to the ground and a two mile-wide tornado? ....Couldn't all tornado damage be described as "wind damage that rotated cyclonically" (save for updrafts in the tornado, i suppose).

That was my point. While a meso on the ground may only have wind damage of EF0 strength, the tornadic circulation within the meso could be much higher. I believe, but don't quote me on it, there have been observed damage swaths near 5 miles wide associated with a meso with an embedded tornado track inside it. The idea being that the larger meso would rotate more slowly, with a tornadic swath of much more intense and concentrated damage embedded within it. But I can imagine it would be very difficult to differentiate where one would begin and the other would end.

That was my point. While a meso on the ground may only have wind damage of EF0 strength, the tornadic circulation within the meso could be much higher. I believe, but don't quote me on it, there have been observed damage swaths near 5 miles wide associated with a meso with an embedded tornado track inside it. The idea being that the larger meso would rotate more slowly, with a tornadic swath of much more intense and concentrated damage embedded within it. But I can imagine it would be very difficult to differentiate where one would begin and the other would end.

This appeared to be the case as we were on this tornado and while the whole meso appeared to be literally sitting on the ground, we would see a "elephant trunk/stove pipe tornado" emerge from the meso/small rope tornado emerge from the meso, etc. It did this for quite a while, while at the same time, the whole back drop looked liked a massive wedge.

NWS Des Moines has confirmed a third tornado in Pocahontas County on the 9th.

• Event date: April 9, 2011.
  • Event time: to be determined.
  • Intensity rating: EF0.
  • Event location: began 3.5 miles W of Pocahontas and ended 3 NW miles Pocahontas.
  • Peak wind: 100 mph.
  • Peak path width: 250 yds.
  • Path length: 2.5 mile.
  • Injuries: unknown.
  • Fatalities: none known.

Also updated information page http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dmx&storyid=66541&source=0

• 2 weeks later...

Archived