• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
April 7th-10th Severe Weather

On our way back to our hotel in Davenport - what an absolutely amazing day. We literally saw so many tornadoes we lost count. Several multi-vortex tornadoes. All kinds of footage and pictures. Will try to go through some of it tomorrow morning.

Very sobering to to see the damage and injury reports. Also we rarely saw/heard towns/cities activating their tornado sirens - kind of discouraging really.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see they didn't have sirens. Many towns don't.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On our way back to our hotel in Davenport - what an absolutely amazing day. We literally saw so many tornadoes we lost count. Several multi-vortex tornadoes. All kinds of footage and pictures. Will try to go through some of it tomorrow morning.

Very sobering to to see the damage and injury reports. Also we rarely saw/heard towns/cities activating their tornado sirens - kind of discouraging really.

I can't verify for the rest of Iowa but I know in the Webster/Humboldt County area sirens go offs but they don't carry well at all. My grandma doesn't live far at all from town,roughly a 1/2 and it the sirens can be heard if your outside but unless your paying close attention you don't notice it inside the house. Also have to give her a call if severe weather is moving into the area. Carry on though, probably me just being overly sensitive to Iowa being put down.

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA

1136 PM CDT SAT APR 9 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DES MOINES HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTHERN EMMET COUNTY IN NORTHWEST IOWA...

PALO ALTO COUNTY IN NORTHWEST IOWA...

* UNTIL 1215 AM CDT

* AT 1133 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS

STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR WEBB...OR 13 MILES SOUTH OF SPENCER...AND

MOVING NORTHEAST AT 55 MPH.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SIOUX FALLS SD

1139 PM CDT SAT APR 9 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SIOUX FALLS HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTHEASTERN CLAY COUNTY IN NORTHWEST IOWA...

* UNTIL MIDNIGHT CDT

* AT 1139 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS WERE

TRACKING A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS

DANGEROUS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR WEBB...OR 13 MILES SOUTH OF

SPENCER...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH.

* THIS TORNADIC STORM WILL AFFECT MAINLY RURAL AREAS OF SOUTHEASTERN

CLAY COUNTY.

I can't verify for the rest of Iowa but I know in the Webster/Humboldt County area sirens go offs but they don't carry well at all. My grandma doesn't live far at all from town,roughly a 1/2 and it the sirens can be heard if your outside but unless your paying close attention you don't notice it inside the house. Also have to give her a call if severe weather is moving into the area. Carry on though, probably me just being overly sensitive to Iowa being put down.

Remember that these systems are supposed to be outdoor warning systems - the mets here have been hammering on that point recently - probably because they are trying to sell some weather radios.

Got home from chasing a few hours ago. Went pretty well considering my time was limited and was thinking bust for a while for my area. I headed up to Norfolk, Ne and then decided to head west to catch a storm i saw going up (wanted to stay on the back edge to avoid the hail core before it got going good). I caught up to it around schuyler, ne and caught some nickel size hail. Took a few pictures of the storm-sorry there arent that many.

http://s259.photobuc...mview=slideshow

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA

1155 PM CDT SAT APR 9 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DES MOINES HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

CENTRAL KOSSUTH COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL IOWA...

EAST CENTRAL PALO ALTO COUNTY IN NORTHWEST IOWA...

* UNTIL 1230 AM CDT

* AT 1150 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS

STORM WAS LOCATED 9 MILES EAST OF EMMETSBURG...OR 14 MILES WEST OF

ALGONA...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH.

Not news Mapleton needs to hear.

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OMAHA/VALLEY NEBRASKA

1215 AM CDT SUN APR 10 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN OMAHA HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

MONONA COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL IOWA...

* UNTIL 100 AM CDT

* AT 1211 AM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS DETECTED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL. THIS

STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR DECATUR...OR 38 MILES SOUTH OF SIOUX CITY...

AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

ONAWA...KENNEBEC...CASTANA...RODNEY AND MAPLETON.

This stuff got from omaha to mapleton in no time...this is incredible how quickly this cell developed

Kingsley, IA (the northern part of the Mapleton Dual-Cell going on right now)...

Does anyone see rotation that has developed along the northern part of that cell?

I'm looking just south of HWY 20 by Kingsley

Tiny Cell just north of St. Joseph, MO... will that blow up too?

It's certainly possible, the atmosphere is unstable, we've just been lacking forcing. Looks like there might be a boundary east of the IA/NE border, down into MO, that is firing up now.

Basically this is a small cold front looking at obs, associated with a weak wave that the formative MCS is riding on.

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/article_6f622336-630d-11e0-96fe-001cc4c03286.html

"Mapleton looks like downtown Beirut"

MAPLETON, Iowa - With 10 minutes' warning, residents of Mapleton escaped serious injury when a devastating tornado ripped through the town about 8 p.m., cutting all power and wiping out blocks of the Monona County town of 1,294.

"Mapleton looks like downtown Beirut," Monona County Sheriff's Deputy Roger Krohn said.

At Burgess Health Center in Onawa, Iowa, hospital spokeswoman Beth Frangedakis said three people were admitted with minor injuries suffered in the tornado. She didn't know whether they had arrived by ambulance.

Early reports indicated there were no fatalities or serious injuries.

The American Red Cross set up shelters at the Mapleton Community Center and Maple Valley/Anthon-Oto High School, and an emergency response vehicle was sent to provide food for residents and emergency personnel.

Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad approved an emergency proclamation for the county Saturday evening.

Krohn said 50 to 60 percent of the town had been damaged or destroyed. He said he had spotted the tornado, which he estimated was three-quarters to a mile wide and hit the city from the southwest, heading northeast through town.

So Chi Storm, myself and 2 others rode the Mapleton supercell from its infancy (first radar echoes) in eastern Nebraska all the way to Pocahantas, IA this evening. What an amazing storm. It occluded and re-strengthened over a half dozen times, and at a couple points had several mesos all rotating around each other. Just before it hit Mapleton, it had occluded and formed this massive cyclonic gyre (essentially one big meso) with an extremely long and impressive inflow tail. We rode to Mapleton to get ahead of it, and stopped under the BP gas station awning there to take shelter from one of the many hail shafts this thing spit out along the way, which were extremely prominent and very noticeable. It was truly awesome to see it dump a massive load of hail and see it fall to the ground in a matter of seconds.

About the time we got to the station, we had another hail shaft threatening the vehicle, so we hunkered down. Right at about this time, it cycled, and produced a new meso within a couple of minutes. Chi Storm caught a snapshot of the meso at the time the tornado was developing. We hopped in the vehicle immediately and sped away from the station, as it had literally developed and moved towards us from just a few hundred yards away. Luckily we got to an escape route right down the street about 20-30 seconds before it did. It then proceeded to chase us out of town and eventually grow into a big tornado. The shot Chi Storm took above was looking back down the road, and though you can't tell from the picture, it was heading right for us at a pretty good clip.

We got beat up a bit by the FFD, but luckily was able to ride the edge and not take serious damage to the vehicle. After hunkering down near Battle Creek, we caught up to it in time to see it dropping another tornado.

Later, we got some great lightning and structure video. The storm structure tonight was simply awesome.

So Chi Storm, myself and 2 others rode the Mapleton supercell from its infancy (first radar echoes) in eastern Nebraska all the way to Pocahantas, IA this evening. What an amazing storm. It occluded and re-strengthened over a half dozen times, and at a couple points had several mesos all rotating around each other. Just before it hit Mapleton, it had occluded and formed this massive cyclonic gyre (essentially one big meso) with an extremely long and impressive inflow tail. We rode to Mapleton to get ahead of it, and stopped under the BP gas station awning there to take shelter from one of the many hail shafts this thing spit out along the way, which were extremely prominent and very noticeable. It was truly awesome to see it dump a massive load of hail and see it fall to the ground in a matter of seconds.

About the time we got to the station, we had another hail shaft threatening the vehicle, so we hunkered down. Right at about this time, it cycled, and produced a new meso within a couple of minutes. Chi Storm caught a snapshot of the meso at the time the tornado was developing. We hopped in the vehicle immediately and sped away from the station, as it had literally developed and moved towards us from just a few hundred yards away. Luckily we got to an escape route right down the street about 20-30 seconds before it did. It then proceeded to chase us out of town and eventually grow into a big tornado. The shot Chi Storm took above was looking back down the road, and though you can't tell from the picture, it was heading right for us at a pretty good clip.

We got beat up a bit by the FFD, but luckily was able to ride the edge and not take serious damage to the vehicle. After hunkering down near Battle Creek, we caught up to it in time to see it dropping another tornado.

Later, we got some great lightning and structure video. The storm structure tonight was simply awesome.

Sounds like you guys had a great chase, can not wait to see more pictures/video from the chase.

Archived