• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 7th-10th Severe Weather

I know myself and others have been mentioning this next trof coming in later in the week into the weekend and it looks like atleast a few days could have some good potential. It's too early to work out the details but both the GFS/Euro are showing this trof coming out into the plains by the weekend.

Too tired from chasing today to type much more.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know myself and others have been mentioning this next trof coming in later in the week into the weekend and it looks like atleast a few days could have some good potential. It's too early to work out the details but both the GFS/Euro are showing this trof coming out into the plains by the weekend.

Too tired from chasing today to type much more.

I like the potential, as this has time to allow moisture to traverse further north. Certainly one to monitor.

This is going to come with some serious juice, as a large low-level subtropical ridge entrenches itself east of FL, which establishes southerly wind trajectories over the entire Gulf for 3-4 days before the main event. The GFS, ECMWF, and associated ensembles have been pretty consistent in showing a large trough ejecting out into the Central U.S. I like the looks of this one better than any other setup this season this far out.

I know we are crossing ours fingers as we will most likely go chasing again if the set-up this weekend looks promising. And I hear you on the tired part, I just woke up. We didn't get home until 6 AM and of course as soon as we got home, the county I live in was under a SVR Warning about 30 mins later.

Can't get excited about this one given past trends (but that's not the reason for this post). Latest runs of GFS and Euro already showing a dearth of moisture in the 850-925mb levels, which almost always means moisture at the sfc will mix out and be overdone on the models. While the setup seems fantastic for severe weather (from supercells to a nice squall line), and a few isolated tornadoes, we will probably not end up seeing a significant tornado outbreak out of this system.

Given this system's wind fields and trajectory of motion as modeled right now (as well as the ongoing drought) it would be a good candidate to enable the dryline to maintain some of its characteristics farther east than normal. The 12z GFS hints at this with a nice dry punch into Missouri/Arkansas on Sunday

gfs150hr_sfc_dewp.gif

gfs156hr_sfc_dewp.gif

Still way too early to get excited but a system to monitor.

Given this system's wind fields and trajectory of motion as modeled right now (as well as the ongoing drought) it would be a good candidate to enable the dryline to maintain some of its characteristics farther east than normal. The 12z GFS hints at this with a nice dry punch into Missouri/Arkansas on Sunday

Still way too early to get excited but a system to monitor.

Wow, that's one hell of a dryline.

not gunna open it and guess its 4/19/96 lol

Well I mentioned that one in my thread but I was talking about 4/3/56.

Anyway, regarding this system, the 18z GFS has 500 mb winds pushing 120 kts. Unless there are some big changes, I don't see how this isn't a significant severe weather event one way or another.

Well I mentioned that one in my thread but I was talking about 4/3/56.

Anyway, regarding this system, the 18z GFS has 500 mb winds pushing 120 kts. Unless there are some big changes, I don't see how this isn't a significant severe weather event one way or another.

Ya I'm liking the potential for something good on saturday as well.

Not sure if you saw my thread from a few months ago:

http://www.americanw...721#entry236721

Be sure to click the first link in the first post. That is probably one of the more extreme examples this far east.

Yeah that's very impressive. Very unusual this far east. That would have been a fun system to forecast and track.

The more I look at this set-up, the more I like it. This looks to be one of those storm system that lashes areas like Illinois/Missouri with several rounds of severe thunderstorms over a multi-day period.

Yeah I foresee hydro issues along that warm front by the weekend.

I was pleased with yesterday for a non tornado day - lots of amazing pictures. It was worth the 6-1/2 hour drive.

I wouldn't of went if it was that far lol would of stayed home at go but 3hrs was nice. The low level turning really killed the tornado theat. Put backed sfc winds ahead of those storms and it would of been different.

I'm just not sure about the Plains portion of this setup (Saturday). It's already showing signs on the models of being more positively-tilted and de-amplifying as it finally kicks out into the Rockies. You know, just like every single damn trough for the past half-year. I'm no synoptician, so I won't pretend to understand all the teleconnections and other factors involved, but something about the ongoing pattern simply won't allow big troughs to dig into the Desert SW and progress eastward without a huge ride simultaneously poking up into the Pac NW and ruining everything (first causing stalling/retrogression of the energy, then eventually kicking out as a positive-tilt, shearing-out mess).

Heck, the 12z ECMWF stalls the ULL for so long in CA that it almost suggests Sunday would be the Plains day, with Monday a threat over parts of the Midwest. Another system is right on its heels and could be something to watch for early-mid next week, although I'm not sure the short wavelengths will allow for good moisture return.

SPC issued a risk area:

day48.gif

In the OMG department, the 6z GFS has near bombogenesis as it takes the surface low from 984 mb to 973 mb over Lake Superior between 144-156 hours. I don't recall seeing a surface low that deep in the second week of April.

I'm just not sure about the Plains portion of this setup (Saturday). It's already showing signs on the models of being more positively-tilted and de-amplifying as it finally kicks out into the Rockies. You know, just like every single damn trough for the past half-year. I'm no synoptician, so I won't pretend to understand all the teleconnections and other factors involved, but something about the ongoing pattern simply won't allow big troughs to dig into the Desert SW and progress eastward without a huge ride simultaneously poking up into the Pac NW and ruining everything (first causing stalling/retrogression of the energy, then eventually kicking out as a positive-tilt, shearing-out mess).

Heck, the 12z ECMWF stalls the ULL for so long in CA that it almost suggests Sunday would be the Plains day, with Monday a threat over parts of the Midwest. Another system is right on its heels and could be something to watch for early-mid next week, although I'm not sure the short wavelengths will allow for good moisture return.

As far as the teleconnections are concerned, the oncoming strongly positive NAO suggests the development of a SE ridge, which is indeed picked up on by the models, though to varying degrees. This is great for prolonged moisture return, and generally prevents full intrusions by fronts into the Gulf. The upstream pattern is a bit more difficult, but I don't see anything that would suggest to me that the ridge should develop into a block. Rather, it looks like the upstream pattern will break it down before it has the chance to become stable (more like a "roll-over" ridge, which is generally unstable, has a weak beta-effect, and breaks down quickly), thus keeping the pattern progressive.

Went chasing on Sunday over towards where Chi Storm was and we got some good pics. Definitely plan on chasing this weekend if this holds. Only concern is cloud cover if it does pan out. Let's hope we have a relatively cloud-free situation like Sunday.

Didn't know you chased, we'll have to meet up sometime.

Archived