Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 7th-10th Severe Weather

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturday has the makings of a major severe weather outbreak including tornadoes for the Midwest. I am liking what I see especially across Iowa. 850 mb and 500 mb winds look great, plenty of sbcape ( 2000+ in a large area, most likley a lot more), li's between -6 to -8, breakable cap, mid-upper 60's dewponts, strong southerly surface winds, and the list goes on and on. It's still several days out, however if the GFS verifies we may be looking at a high end moderate/low end high risk type of day. I smell tors especially for Iowa. Perfect timing for my wife to have a B-day get together Saturday night meaning a no go chasing wise for me. Geez...:yikes:

Saturday has the makings of a major severe weather outbreak including tornadoes for the Midwest. I am liking what I see especially across Iowa. 850 mb and 500 mb winds look great, plenty of sbcape ( 2000+ in a large area, most likley a lot more), li's between -6 to -8, breakable cap, mid-upper 60's dewponts, strong southerly surface winds, and the list goes on and on. It's still several days out, however if the GFS verifies we may be looking at a high end moderate/low end high risk type of day. I smell tors especially for Iowa. Perfect timing for my wife to have a B-day get together Saturday night meaning a no go chasing wise for me. Geez...:yikes:

Iowa again lol

Euro is still 12-18 hours slower than the GFS, FWIW. I see Saturday being a Plains threat with the possibility of some warm-frontal activity farther east, and Sunday being the big, synoptically-evident outbreak day for the Midwest.

Agree completely. Wouldn't be surprised to see a decent tornado threat develop along the warm front on Saturday. The only thing that worries me with that scenario is that the models have been to slow with the last few storms and the storms have actually ejected to the NE quicker than what was progged, but needless to say, it continues to look like one of the best outbreak set-ups of the season.

Anybody chasing this weekend, particularly Sunday, is going to have some difficulty I think. Still early but if this holds, I would expect average storm motions anywhere from 50-70 mph.

I think both days could have fast storm motion problems. The GFS has H7 winds progged at 40-55kt for saturday. I wont even mention sunday.

I think both days could have fast storm motion problems. The GFS has H7 winds progged at 40-55kt for saturday. I wont even mention sunday.

Sunday looks like a classic one and done. Position yourself wisely, get your shot and then wave goodbye.

IWX already using the O word but they are favoring a slower solution

FORECAST MODELS STILL ON TRACK TO SUPPORT A VERY VIGOROUS SYSTEM INTO THE CENTRAL CONUS SUN. MASSIVE HEIGHT FALLS WITH A STRONG 110+ KNOT MID LEVEL JET STEAK OVER APPRECIABLE LL MOISTURE WILL LIKELY SUPPORT A MAJOR SEVERE WEATHER OUTBREAK IN THE WESTERN MIDWEST...GIVEN BULK SHEAR VALUES NEAR 80 KNOTS/A STAUNCH EML IN PLACE SUPPORTING A PERIOD OF CONVECTIVE SUPPRESSION/AND AMPLE LL INSTABILITY IN PLACE.

The European as others have mentioned hold things back until Sunday for the Midwest. I hope this is the case as it would be a win win sitiuation for me as I could go to my wifes b-day party Saturday night and then go chasing Sunday. It would be nice though to see those winds backed a tad more over the Midwest (SSE) Saturday instead of southerly if you trust the GFS. Southerly winds will work of course. Can't get too greedy. :P

The European as others have mentioned hold things back until Sunday for the Midwest. I hope this is the case as it would be a win win sitiuation for me as I could go to my wifes b-day party Saturday night and then go chasing Sunday. It would be nice though to see those winds backed a tad more over the Midwest (SSE) Saturday instead of southerly if you trust the GFS. Southerly winds will work of course. Can't get too greedy. :P

Hopefully you will be able to stay around home or drive east Sunday rather than west.

LOT brought this up in today's "Weather Story" on their page.

If they are thinking about it this far out.... makes me wonder. I will be paying attention to this, looks like good potential for Sunday around here.

Skilling is also throwing out hints he's watching this on his FB page.

IND has some comments too...

THE MAIN SHOW THOUGH WILL BE ON SUNDAY/SUNDAY NIGHT AS A VERY POTENT SYSTEM MOVES THROUGH THE UPPER MIDWEST. A STRONG LOW LEVEL JET WILL MOVE THROUGH ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON FOLLOWED BY A 100 PLUS KT UPPER LEVEL JET THAT EVENING. UNLIKE PREVIOUS STORM SYSTEMS SO FAR THIS SPRING...THIS ONE WILL HAVE SOME INSTABILITY TO WORK WITH AS WELL AS DYNAMICS.

One thing that I have noticed with the 18z gfs for Iowa on saturday anyway is that the surface winds are not backed nearly as much as they are in east central KS and that the 850/500 mb winds also look better as far as shear goes in East Central KS. Was chatting with a friend earlier tonight and he said that Central OK is really dry attm and I am sort of wondering what effect this may have on this upcoming system and the rest of the systems the rest of the year for OK? Perhaps the dry lines will setup further east than normal the rest of the year for the most part?

Archived