• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
April 7th-10th Severe Weather

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to chase in SW Wisconsin (west of Madison) due to the terrain. However, chasers in Northern Illinois should consider staying where they are or even moving into SE Wisconsin, as those areas still stand a good chance at dangerous supercells which may include tornadoes tomorrow late afternoon and early evening.

There's plenty of good chase terrain west of Madison imo, it does get a little too steep towards IA though.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's plenty of good chase terrain west of Madison imo, it does get a little too steep towards IA though.

Nvm then, I thought the steep terrain started pretty quickly west of Madison, I guess it's just near the Mississippi. Only have been west of Madison near the Mississippi once or twice in my life.

Already west of Iowa City, heading west...

The latest few HRRR runs look pretty encouraging. Love that little wind max at H7 punching into eastern Nebraska later on too that's shown on the RUC. Good luck to everyone chasing today!

were about to enter IA on I-80.

11z and 12z runs of the HRRR were perfect blowing up a monster supercell in western IA before 0z.

Looks like I'll be following the UW-Madison chasing convoy tomorrow. They prefer if all majors who want to chase follow the veterans for this one, since it looks like we're probably dealing with a high risk. I'm very excited, can't believe this is actually gonna happen!

3km EHI over 12 over a huge area on the 16z RUC. Overdone, but still pretty damn impressive!! Any surface based storm in that environment will be very dangerous.

We're just now passing by Des Moines.

And it pops an isolated storm at 23z just w of OAX in an insane environment..

were near Victor, IA on I-80.

The timing for a chase couldn't have happened at a worse time for me. I have a family get together in Prairie Du Chien Wi. tomorrow, but perhaps I can get some good pictures of the storms as they roll in. Actually I'll be North of PDC by about 10 miles or so. Have a feeling that area will be in a hot spot. To the folks wondering about SW WI- the bluffs as you get closer to the river are huge, the roads in SW WI bend all around and over the place too- makes for getting somewhere quick very difficult. I personally wouldn't want to be chasing between Dubuque Iowa and PDC Wisconsin its a mess road wise and the trees on some of those big valley's the roads drop into block your visibility.

I was just getting ready to ask when initiation is likely to take place. Vis sat showing something wanting to brew in Eastern Neb.

Driving near some of that stuff right now. It's high based convection. More of an overgrown ACCAS (altocumulus castellanus). Certainly indicates some lift going on in the mid and upper levels, as well as some considerable instability aloft.

where?

I think he is referring to the visible satellite, which is showing Cu developing from South Central Nebraska through Central Oklahoma. Nothing showing up on radar yet, but the visible satellite is showing something trying to pop. Once\if it does, it should blow up pretty quickly.

I think he is referring to the visible satellite, which is showing Cu developing from South Central Nebraska through Central Oklahoma. Nothing showing up on radar yet, but the visible satellite is showing something trying to pop. Once\if it does, it should blow up pretty quickly.

ah, you're right...now that is an encouraging sign

Archived