• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
April 7th-10th Severe Weather

If I didn't have class on Monday i'd be roaming WI, we are still deciding the risk/reward travelling east towards the cities on sunday. I think Western WI is gonna gonna see some long trackers

Meh.. most missing my point.. Winter storms are fun to track a week out even if missing me north or south... These severe threads are serious business and encompass to many miles out of the MW range for me and logic of the geography of most on this side of the board unless you're a chaser radar gawker and I have to weed through all the plains and hickville chasing area talk to get any info for the areas less desirable to chase.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, I'm sort of puzzled as to why the slight risk area on day 2 wasn't expanded east, especially given that the slower NAM is coming in line.

You and me both, I really think that not only the cold front will yield late, but the warm front especially across MI has the potential to yield.

Day 2...

...TORNADO OUTBREAK POSSIBLE SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING ACROSS THE

UPPER MS VALLEY...

..UPPER MS VALLEY

AN IMPRESSIVE UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH WILL MOVE INTO THE GREAT PLAINS

SUNDAY AS A POWERFUL 90 TO 110 KT MID-LEVEL JET EJECTS NEWD ACROSS

THE CNTRL STATES. AT THE SFC...A STRONG LOW WILL MOVE NEWD INTO IA

SUNDAY AFTERNOON WITH SFC DEWPOINTS REACHING THE LOWER TO MID 60S F

SOUTH OF A WARM FRONT ACROSS MUCH OF THE UPPER MIDWEST. THE EXIT

REGION OF THE JET WILL OVERSPREAD THE UPPER MS VALLEY SUNDAY

AFTERNOON CREATING STRONG DEEP LAYER SHEAR PROFILES VERY FAVORABLE

FOR SEVERE STORMS. THIS COMBINED WITH STRONG INSTABILITY WILL RESULT

IN A SIGNIFICANT POSSIBILITY FOR SUPERCELLS AND TORNADOES ACROSS THE

MODERATE RISK AREA. AN UPGRADE TO HIGH RISK APPEARS LIKELY ACROSS A

PORTION OF THE UPPER MS VALLEY IN LATER OUTLOOKS.

THE CURRENT THINKING IS THAT CELLS WILL FIRST DEVELOP IN NRN IA AND

SE MN AND MOVE INTO NRN WI DURING THE AFTERNOON AHEAD OF THE TRACK

OF A SFC LOW AND ALONG A WARM FRONT. FORECAST SOUNDINGS AT 21Z NEAR

THE WARM FRONT SHOW MLCAPE VALUES AROUND 2000 J/KG...0-6 KM SHEAR

VALUES NEAR 60 KT AND 0-3 STORM RELATIVE HELICITIES OF 250 TO 350

M2/S2. LOW-LEVEL SHEAR SHOULD INCREASE WITH TIME AS A LOW-LEVEL JET

STRENGTHENS AND APPROACHES FROM THE SOUTH. THIS ENVIRONMENT SHOULD

SUPPORT THE DEVELOPMENT OF TORNADIC SUPERCELLS WITH A POTENTIAL FOR

LONG-TRACK TORNADOES WITH CELLS THAT TRACK ENEWD ALONG THE WARM

FRONT. ADDITIONAL SEVERE STORM DEVELOPMENT SHOULD OCCUR SWD ACROSS

THE WARM SECTOR FROM ERN IA NEWD INTO SRN AND CNTRL WI BY EARLY

EVENING. THIS ACTIVITY SHOULD ALSO RAPIDLY BECOME SUPERCELLULAR WITH

TORNADOES AND LARGE HAIL LIKELY WITH THE MORE DOMINANT CELLS. A

THREAT FOR STRONG TORNADOES SHOULD CONTINUE THROUGH MUCH OF THE

EVENING AS A CLUSTER OF SUPERCELLS MOVES ENEWD ACROSS WI. SEVERE

STORMS SHOULD ALSO DEVELOP SWD INTO NRN AND WRN IL WHERE THE

STRONGER CELLS SHOULD HAVE A TORNADO...WIND DAMAGE AND LARGE THREAT

DURING THE EVENING.

Meh.. most missing my point.. Winter storms are fun to track a week out even if missing me north or south... These severe threads are serious business and encompass to many miles out of the MW range for me and logic of the geography of most on this side of the board unless you're a chaser radar gawker and I have to weed through all the plains and hickville chasing area talk to get any info for the areas less desirable to chase.

Or we could not be like the East Coast and break everything up in 50' increments

You and me both, I really think that not only the cold front will yield late, but the warm front especially across MI has the potential to yield.

Probably has to do with timing and instability concerns. Instability is going to fall off as we move through Sunday night but I question how fast.

I think on Sunday a good area will be around Waterloo Iowa and Rochester Minnesota... I would bet somewhere around or just Northeast of these cities will see at least one moderate tornado of EF3ish strength.... and that threat will extend into much of Central and Southern Wisconsin. Further South across Eastern Iowa into Northern Illinois it appears we may be a bit more removed from the best shear but not enough to lower the threat by a huge amount, and the more discrete storms will certainly have the potential to produce a strong tornado. But I'd focus on Northeast Iowa, Southwest Wisconsin, and Southeast Minnesota I think for the highest probability.

I think on Sunday a good area will be around Waterloo Iowa and Rochester Minnesota... I would bet somewhere around or just Northeast of these cities will see at least one moderate tornado of EF3ish strength.... and that threat will extend into much of Central and Southern Wisconsin. Further South across Eastern Iowa into Northern Illinois it appears we may be a bit more removed from the best shear but not enough to lower the threat by a huge amount, and the more discrete storms will certainly have the potential to produce a strong tornado. But I'd focus on Northeast Iowa, Southwest Wisconsin, and Southeast Minnesota I think for the highest probability.

I concur fully with this. The sweet spot is just east of the surface low where the backed surface winds are. The models don't really show the backed surface flow that well right now, but they do sometimes underestimate this, and with the deepening of the low nearby, the winds should respond in this region.

I plan to...

If it was a MW/GL winter storm thread you would post any weenie model showing it pound your fanny. That's what's missing to me about severe weather threads.. To sterile, to large of an area to the south west and not enough how you would stebo cast the main threat 100 miles south tonight and bulls eye ones backyard tomorrow.

Carry on tho, chasers and radar gawkers..

If it was a MW/GL winter storm thread you would post any weenie model showing it pound your fanny. That's what's missing to me about severe weather threads.. To sterile, to large of an area to the south west and not enough how you would stebo cast the main threat 100 miles south tonight and bulls eye ones backyard tomorrow.

Carry on tho, chasers and radar gawkers..

:unsure:

"THIS COMBINED WITH STRONG INSTABILITY WILL RESULT IN A SIGNIFICANT POSSIBILITY FOR SUPERCELLS AND TORNADOES ACROSS THE MODERATE RISK AREA. AN UPGRADE TO HIGH RISK APPEARS LIKELY ACROSS A PORTION OF THE UPPER MS VALLEY IN LATER OUTLOOKS."

A little surprised with the evolution differences and timing amongst guidance. Hard forecast--I am a little surprised they mention high right now.

Eh you had to expect one to be thrown up after yesterday. Believe it or not it's been 2 years since we've seen a Moderate Risk 3 days out so it seemed like a High Risk was a lock for Sunday

We are off - heading towards Davenport to start with (to check in to our hotel) and then heading West/Northwest into Iowa. Staying in Davenport tonight - figured that would put us at a good place to get positioned for tomorrow.

Really trying to avoid chasing in Wisconsin (god awful terrain) so plan on staying in Iowa and Illinois.

We are off - heading towards Davenport to start with (to check in to our hotel) and then heading West/Northwest into Iowa. Staying in Davenport tonight - figured that would put us at a good place to get positioned for tomorrow.

Really trying to avoid chasing in Wisconsin (god awful terrain) so plan on staying in Iowa and Illinois.

Yeah I am worried this might be a WI chase, there are some favorable pockets in the state there but a lot of it is similar to Northern MI which is brutal chase territory.

Wow, the new RUC has 5500j/kg cape nosing north through Omaha. 0-3km EHI of over 10 as well. Beautiful forecast soundings there as well with the LLJ ramping up. Also shows CIN weakening there as well. Getting ready to take off. Looks like we'll head down I-80 towards Omaha, and adjust from there. Probably end up between there and Sioux City. Wouldn't be surprised if we have to head to eastern Nebraska though. Not the damn Missouri River again!?!?! (6/7/09) :guitar:

Wow, the new RUC has 5500j/kg cape nosing north through Omaha. 0-3km EHI of over 10 as well. Beautiful forecast soundings there as well with the LLJ ramping up. Also shows CIN weakening there as well. Getting ready to take off. Looks like we'll head down I-80 towards Omaha, and adjust from there. Probably end up between there and Sioux City. Wouldn't be surprised if we have to head to eastern Nebraska though. Not the damn Missouri River again!?!?! (6/7/09) :guitar:

I'd probably knock a 1/3rd of that instability off. RUC always goes insane on instability. still that being said around 4000 J/kg SB CAPE is very respectable

I wonder if that lone severe cell trekking across southern MN will lay down a boundary that may come into play later.

It probably will lay down a boundary but with it being a relatively small cell the boundary will likely be weak. Model data suggests storms not going/ingredients coming together for a significant threat until after 1800 LST. By then the boundary will likely be ill-defined if even present. The biggerthing to keep an eye on would be clearing line to your south enhancing the differential heating. It's nice to see signs of a gravity wave already. Typically that is a good pre-cursor for an energetic system and severe weather. Nice SREF forecasts too. Part of me wishes I was there (a large part).

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to chase in SW Wisconsin (west of Madison) due to the terrain. However, chasers in Northern Illinois should consider staying where they are or even moving into SE Wisconsin, as those areas still stand a good chance at dangerous supercells which may include tornadoes tomorrow late afternoon and early evening.

Archived