joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys--have had house guests for a few days which has kept me too busy to post. Not great weather for guests either as we've been cooped up in the house... ;)

Up to 1.31" for a two day total of rain so far. I'm glad to see it certainly but looking at the week ahead I'm not sure how much motorcycling I'll get in. I rode to work and back all five days last week though.... 300 miles at 50 mpg vs 300 miles at 19 mpg. Adds up!

We certainly did need some rain. Everything was dry dusty and covered with pollen but now all is cleansed and scrubbed.

Guys thank you for inviting me into your hood this past academic year.. i am out likely for good. It was a great time posting learning and socializing with you northeners. Im off to the abyss that is Baltimore MD in July to start my freshman year as a towson tiger football player....

Im truly going to miss maine and the foothill/lake region.. a couple shoutouts to dryslut and gayhawk.. the locals closest who taught the local climate to me

Good luck in MD, man. It'll be a just wee bit different from Maine, I'd reckon, ha-ha.

The wife and I may be headed there in July (ugh!). Her grandmother lives down near the Bay (western shore) and she's moving soon and wants to give us a bunch of furniture. So, we might pile in the truck later this summer and pick through her belongings. Glad the AC works on the truck. ;)

Guys thank you for inviting me into your hood this past academic year.. i am out likely for good. It was a great time posting learning and socializing with you northeners. Im off to the abyss that is Baltimore MD in July to start my freshman year as a towson tiger football player....

Im truly going to miss maine and the foothill/lake region.. a couple shoutouts to dryslut and gayhawk.. the locals closest who taught the local climate to me

Jay, Good luck and hope your football career takes off....... :drunk:

I like to call this time of year the other foliage season. The blooming and leafing-out trees this time of year make for a pretty spectacular sight on the hillsides. A couple shots from around the hood this past weekend:

It's amazing the number of different shades of green there are, not to mention the other colors that come out this time of year. It is almost a shock to the system after months of gray and white.

Fantastic pics, Allenson! Looks very similar around these parts in the 1-2K foot elevation band... fog, mist, fresh green (various shades). Judging by looking up at the mountain, the "green line" (unfortunately not snow line) appears to be right around 2,000ft or only a few hundred feet above the base area. Above that level it still looks like November stick-season with dead leaves on the forest floor.

Depressing day.

I like to call this time of year the other foliage season. The blooming and leafing-out trees this time of year make for a pretty spectacular sight on the hillsides. A couple shots from around the hood this past weekend:

Many of the same colors as autumn, but in delicate pastels.

Storm total 2.13" as of 7 AM, probably .1-.2" since as it's been lighter today. Temp has been in the 40s since Sat eve, hanging in low 40s today - woodstove feels good, and I'm sure glad I held off on planting anything in the garden.

Found my 1st tick (dog, not deer) of the season Sat, near my right ear, trying to hide under the glasses. My cervical collar is supposed to be worn 24/7, but tick inspection makes an exception. Between collar pads and skin would be a nearly perfect place for those beasts to set up shop.

Hope Baltimore is cooler than normal for your sake, Jay, especially if you're doing two-a-days. It's a much nicer town than when I was in school there 45 yr ago, but it's summer triple HHH earns it the Armpit of the East insult (along with its location near the head of Chesapeake.)

Snow is going real fast now... under 2 feet on the ground. Down from 3 feet late last week.

506 PM EDT MON MAY 16 2011
STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT 		SNOW
          		24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER 	NEW TOTAL SWE
MOUNT MANSFIELD 	1.41    44  37  43   NOT AVBL 	0.0  23    

All that rain and snow melt is flowing past my place, and I will say there has been a very noticeable rise in water level over the past couple hours. I know its getting high when I can start to hear the roar.

Here's the local watershed that flows past here... including all of the eastern slope of Mansfield as well as south facing slopes of Spruce and Madonna peaks. This is the first location I've ever lived in that's near a true quick-response waterway where a thunderstorm over Mansfield can cause the shallow, rocky river out back to rise a few feet within hours.

lull.

rain gauge sittin on 1.5 for the week so far (2 since sat pm), nice walk this morning, in the woods birds were deafening and the grouse were drumming like crazy , up to 48F

only time I don't like the rain is on day 6 of a 7 day thru hike, when even the dry bag is soaked, your boots start bubbling, and a miss step on a log plank could mean your diggin mud out of your pockets

left the rink at J last night in some wicked fog, lookin like 1 last ski day may not be in the cards, won't know unitl the clouds lift sometime on friday!

Talk about a reality check and shock stepping off the plane yesterday in Manchester after 6 days in SE Arizona, we saw only one cloud the whole time we were there. It was actually perfect weather a bit cooler than normal with highs in the 80s and 90s and around 50 for lows. The father in-law was saying it had been extra dry and especially windy out there recently. I saw zero water in any creek or even a pond they say during the dry season will still have a few feet of water in it. Beautiful country and great to visit, especially during these ruts we can get in out here, but certainly couldn't live there.

BTW had 1.47" in the bucket from the time I was gone.

Wonder if that big plume of rain south of LI/CT is going to keep trucking north and east. Could be a pretty wet night and the same for tomorrow.

Not much going on today--drizzley with an occasional bonefide shower.

Not a good week for garden-bound seedlings....

Not a good week for garden-bound seedlings....

figured we give it a shot and see how it goes - got a large portion of the garden seeded Sat morning, felt a little strange not having to water every morning since then, time will tell...

suns out up here now, lots o clouds but man does that put a spring in peoples steps

Rain stopped long enough today for me to get up and hike around the mountain for a few hours. Wow is it wet up there. Stayed below 3,000ft to respect the state's guidelines that close the upper elevations until they dry out. Still snow up there and a lot of weenie patches on the snowmaking trails. I'm borderline considering skiing tomorrow if it doesn't rain all day... there are still a few patches large enough to be worth it, but the effort-to-reward ratio is lowering quickly.

Sky brightened mid afternoon and quickly got the lawn cut. 2.57" so far in this event. Im down to my last 12 logs from 7 cords of wood I burned this season. Have not turned on the furnace yet. Just start the stove up once a day and burn a couple of logs to get the chill out of the house.

Gene

Me too. CT Blizz would weep if he saw my weed patch.

What a morning, 1.25 inches since midnight, bringing us well over 3 inches this week, and vernal pools that were dry are now filled up again. Almost as wet as it was after the snowmelt. Not having the sun at all this long is a little depressing. Monday and Tuesday our highs here were 47 and 48.

Only reported 0.01" to cocorahs this AM, though there's been more since and my total since Sat eve approaches 2.5". At least yesterday lost some of the wood-eating coolness, reaching 58. Sun-Tues temps: 49/44; 44/40; 46/38. Blecchh!

Blackflies held at bay, but when we get sun and 60s the onslaught will begin, and they'll be landing teeth first. Not only am I happy to have postponed planting any of the garden, but I'm very glad the apple blossoms are still in bud, as no self-respecting bee would be out working in temps like those listed above.

Archived