Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
April

griteater

From FFC for next weekend...

MAIN IMPACTS ON GEORGIA WEATHER WILL BE CHC FOR STORMS LATE THURSDAY AND EARLY FRIDAY AND A SIGNIFICANT DROP IN TEMPS FOR THE FOLLOWING WEEKEND. TOO SOON TO JUMP ON THESE SOLUTIONS SO HAVE TEMPERED GUIDANCE TEMPS WHICH HAD LOWS IN THE 30S AND HIGHS IN THE 50S AND 60S LATE FRIDAY AND SATURDAY. EVEN HAD TO DUST OFF MY WINTER WEATHER AWIPS PROCEDURES TO MAKE SURE THE MODELS DIDNT HAVE ANY SNOW PROGGED NEAR US. WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THIS STORM.

I hope not. I am ready for the cold weather to be gone. My arthritis would appreciate it greatly.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking the same thing. I'm interested to see if this is the month that switches, like it usually does for my area. In most of the last few years, pretty much going back to around 1999, we'd go really dry until August atleast, sometimes September. The good news is the pattern still looks just as active as can be. System after system is slated for 2 more weeks yet.

how severe will storms be tomorrow night in my area? Are we in a big risk?

how severe will storms be tomorrow night in my area? Are we in a big risk?

I'd say anytime an upper low crosses over in April, during the daylight, is a good time for hailers. I haven't had a lot of time lately, but just briefly looked at the models and yet another low is going to form and drift from eastern Ky to central VA, and any spokes rotating around it could set off some storms. Its going to be hard to place where the vorts are rotating around it, but I'd be shocked if they don't occur. So anywhere under the upper low could get instability showers and maybe some of them grow into big towers, even coming off the Apps into the western and northern piedmont. This type of setup happened a lot in the 90's in April and May, and I remember a lot of good Tstorms even here, with weak F0's and hailers. Also, just cold enough in the high mtns for MORE SNOW.

The GFS and Euro have another southern stream system and very cold rain coming at the Southeast after the late week system, so its still very active.

post-38-0-50641600-1302525504.gif

post-38-0-12249800-1302525515.gif

87 here at 5 pm. No wind, no clouds. That is more than enough summer for me already...and such a long way to fall. T

As soon as mby reached 90 I started counting down the days until September..... 142 days to go :sun::P:lol:

1.02" for the event. :thumbsup:

Sweet! :thumbsup:

0.99" for the month so far, 0.62" last night.

Nice to see your totals going up :hug:

it looks like the system may close off a little earlier than thought. If that happens, this would probably mean more rain chances and severe esp. in nw GA area, and then again the time of day tomorrow midday would be good for eastern Carolinas. Also, with 546 thickness and cold aloft crossing over ne TN and northern and western NC, probably some instability showers and thunderstorms, some with hail.

Beyond this system, an explosive system across Ga and the western Carolinas/Southern Apps. on Friday night. Strong diffluent system has been shown several days on the GFS, this would be a severe outbreak in that area once again, with tornadoes possible again. No shortage of action.

post-38-0-42942400-1302549116.gif

post-38-0-33526500-1302549127.gif

it looks like the system may close off a little earlier than thought. If that happens, this would probably mean more rain chances and severe esp. in nw GA area, and then again the time of day tomorrow midday would be good for eastern Carolinas. Also, with 546 thickness and cold aloft crossing over ne TN and northern and western NC, probably some instability showers and thunderstorms, some with hail.

Beyond this system, an explosive system across Ga and the western Carolinas/Southern Apps. on Friday night. Strong diffluent system has been shown several days on the GFS, this would be a severe outbreak in that area once again, with tornadoes possible again. No shortage of action.

:thumbsup: I hope it continues well into the summer :wub:

Got one flash of light and a tenth of spotty rain. Not much of a deal..kind of typical of drought fronts. Hope to do much better next time. At least it cooled off some...had to get up in the night and turn off the fan. Bring on fall...I'm more than ready for it to start early... especially as winter ended the first week of Feb.!! Eight months of summer would sure suck. T

I was going to post some updated rainfall stats yesterday but I was glued to the coverage of the events to our east...anyways, we got another huge soaker over the past 36 hours...

Storm event: 3.99 inches

April Total: 5.64 inches

Since March 1st: 12.60 inches

Yearly Total: 16.68 inches

A very active spring has caught up to the deficit we ran through the winter months...

Yep.. Joe drinks form the cold streams right out of the mountain.. That or a good PBR...

Wind was been very bad this spring around my area.. We do live on a hill so any wind ends up being on the strong side....

I concur. I've had some crazy wind this Spring, really windy probably 5 days out of the week. Every morning I get up with my coffee, and go outside and say to myself, here comes the inevitable wind. I bet Joe does too, except he's probably not drinking coffee.

I've really came to not liking a random windy day all the sudden. Seems as though every time I try to go ride my bike around town, here comes the wind to blow against you rather than pushing you from the back for extra speed. :angry: Thankfully, the weather will cooperate for the next few days to allow perfect riding conditions until the next chance of showers and storms roll in, which is looking to be between Wednesday and Saturday.

I concur. I've had some crazy wind this Spring, really windy probably 5 days out of the week. Every morning I get up with my coffee, and go outside and say to myself, here comes the inevitable wind. I bet Joe does too, except he's probably not drinking coffee.

I have a feeling this is the scene at Joe's back porch. Although, he probably drinks stuff older than the 10 year.

post-295-0-11963700-1303153132.jpg

God, I hate the wind and Spring. Turned an otherwise beautiful 62 degree day into one that I didn't even want to go outside. I move to Salter Path in four weeks. I can't wait to get off this miserable mountain.

We'll be hoping for some wind come summer when it's 95 degrees with dewpoints in the 70's and the air isn't moving. Be careful what you wish for!

Despite the epic storms Saturday, the highlight of the month for me has been meteors. Anybody noticed this? I like to relax on the deck at night and have noticed at least one meteorite each night I've been out, with the best being a fireball in the eastern sky last night.

We'll be hoping for some wind come summer when it's 95 degrees with dewpoints in the 70's and the air isn't moving. Be careful what you wish for!

At this rate, we will be 95 degrees with dp's in the 70's by the middle of May. Well above normal temps the next week. Highs 5-10 above average, lows 10-15 above average. This could go down as one of the warmest Aprils ever in Atlanta.

I may be wrong but I dont feel like this April has been any warmer than normal. Yes weve had some hot days but there have been plenty of comfortable and chilly days as well. This upcoming stretch may change that but it doesnt look like anything unheard of for late April. I know the garden will love the mid 80s.

I may be wrong but I dont feel like this April has been any warmer than normal. Yes weve had some hot days but there have been plenty of comfortable and chilly days as well. This upcoming stretch may change that but it doesnt look like anything unheard of for late April. I know the garden will love the mid 80s.

So far, Atlanta has been about 3 degrees above normal for the month and the rest of the month will probably be well above average. I think this spring in general has been warmer than normal, I mean Atlanta had it's earliest freeze in the last 65 years !! That is unbelievable.

So far, Atlanta has been about 3 degrees above normal for the month and the rest of the month will probably be well above average. I think this spring in general has been warmer than normal, I mean Atlanta had it's earliest freeze in the last 65 years !! That is unbelievable.

I don't have the raw data and would love to see it, I just don't feel it's been that warm this spring yet. We have probably not even seen 85 yet. I remember some very hot April in years past. This has not been one of them.

Edit: I take that back about the 85 part, one day we hit 88

I don't have the raw data and would love to see it, I just don't feel it's been that warm this spring yet. We have probably not even seen 85 yet. I remember some very hot April in years past. This has not been one of them.

Edit: I take that back about the 85 part, one day we hit 88

88 ??? Geez, that is ridiculous. We usually don't hit 88 until May. I don't ever remember it being 88 in April before.

Archived