CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
April

griteater

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

88 ??? Geez, that is ridiculous. We usually don't hit 88 until May. I don't ever remember it being 88 in April before.

You've been watching too much Heidi Cullen or something. I've seen 90 in March a few years back. Hell, I've seen 90 in New York City in March back in the early 2000s. Yes we've had a few hot days but nothing unheard of. I've had 4 days with highs in the 80s IMBY but I've also had 2 frosts this month. Also, that earliest last freeze in KATL is not relevant to the spring. I had a freeze in mid to late March which is completely normal. I'd be willing to bet that outlying areas close to KATL had a freeze around the same time. That god forsaken strip of concrete is not the right place to take weather measurements and base a whole areas climate data off of it. Some of the northern suburbs have double the number of frosts in a year.

One more day in the low 90's...then it's cool and cloudy :wub: At least for a day or two......:lol:

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY/...

FRONTAL BOUNDARY WILL STALL ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA TONIGHT AND

REMAIN STATIONARY INTO FRIDAY. THE FRONT WILL THEN LIFT NORTHWARD AS

AS HIGH PRESSURE OVER COASTAL NEW ENGLAND EJECTS NORTHEASTWARD. WITH

THE FRONT OVER THE AREA ACTING AS A FOCUSING MECHANISM CHANCES OF

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WILL REMAIN IN THE FORECAST...HOWEVER

THERE ARE A COUPLE OF CONCERNS. FIRST CONCERN IS TEMPERATURE AND

THE ABILITY WITH EXTENSIVE CLOUD COVER TO REACH THE CONVECTIVE

TEMPERATURE. NEXT ARE THE MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES WHICH ARE NEARLY

MOIST ADIABATIC LIMITING INSTABILITY. FINALLY WILL BE A DEVELOPING

WEDGE FOR FRIDAY RESULTING IN VERY STABLE CONDITIONS AND SOME

POSSIBLE LIGHT SHOWERS. WITH THOSE CONCERNS IN MIND HAVE INCREASED

POPS SLIGHTLY AND TRENDED MORE TOWARD SHOWERS WITH LOWER CHANCE OF

THUNDERSTORMS...ESPECIALLY FRIDAY. TEMPERATURES IN THE SHORT TERM

WILL BE AROUND 80 ON THURSDAY AND UPPER 60S TO MIDDLE 70S WITH THE

WEDGE ON FRIDAY.

Look how wet its been in GA and points west since the year began. The third tier of Green and even some yellows showing up, which is 25" to 30" +, meanwhile most of the Carolinas and Virginia are first tier of green, or blue, roughly 10" to 15" of precip.:axe: RDU has only 9.15" so far, and Fayetteville 8.95". Compared to 18" in ATL and 23" in Huntsville.

post-38-0-12264400-1303392591.jpg

Look how wet its been in GA and points west since the year began. The third tier of Green and even some yellows showing up, which is 25" to 30" +, meanwhile most of the Carolinas and Virginia are first tier of green, or blue, roughly 10" to 15" of precip.:axe: RDU has only 9.15" so far, and Fayetteville 8.95". Compared to 18" in ATL and 23" in Huntsville.

We're only at 10.88 here in Savannah. Hopefully we'll pick up a little today and tomorrow, but I'm not betting on it.

Really, I'm just looking forward to the daily afternoon storms starting up again.

I know I'm at or above 20" for the year. I've got 13" for March and April alone.

18.52" for the year here at my house.

post-38-0-12264400-1303392591.jpg

Lake Nottely is at it's highest level in 20 years, Nottely river is barely moving it is so full.

I would gladly send some of the rain in your direction if I could!

Setting up to be a dreadful summer in Texas...but what's new I guess.

I love on that drought map how my county to the northern Upstate doesn't even register. What , with our 150" twelve year negative departure and all. Theres only been 2 years when the rivers and streams around here ran anywhere close to "normal" for any sustained length of time, 2003 and 2009.

You've been watching too much Heidi Cullen or something. I've seen 90 in March a few years back. Hell, I've seen 90 in New York City in March back in the early 2000s. Yes we've had a few hot days but nothing unheard of. I've had 4 days with highs in the 80s IMBY but I've also had 2 frosts this month. Also, that earliest last freeze in KATL is not relevant to the spring. I had a freeze in mid to late March which is completely normal. I'd be willing to bet that outlying areas close to KATL had a freeze around the same time. That god forsaken strip of concrete is not the right place to take weather measurements and base a whole areas climate data off of it. Some of the northern suburbs have double the number of frosts in a year.

I actually had my last freeze on the same day as KATL did. 20 years ago where my house is was rolling farmland, now it's sprawling suburbia. I hate this hot, sticky weather though, the humidity shows that summer is near.

This is kinda off topic but hey, it's slow anyway.

If you were going to Atlanta Motor Speedway, would this be enough weather for you? http://www.daculaweather.com/national_alerts/ams_weather.php

The SCCA is having a National Tour event (that I'm driving in) with about 300 drivers, May 7-8 at AMS. I thought I'd create a page for everyone to get the weather for that area.

I actually had my last freeze on the same day as KATL did. 20 years ago where my house is was rolling farmland, now it's sprawling suburbia. I hate this hot, sticky weather though, the humidity shows that summer is near.

It was only 75 when I got home but it was so humid I didn't want to go outside. I put a swing in the backyard and we've been out there every day for awhile but yesterday was too muggy. Also, I picked up another .15" last night so my official YTD tally is 22".

An unusual, moist and very muggy flow will set up early next week in the Southeast, well ahead of the cold front. The Bermuda high will steer in mid and upper 60 dewpoints maybe 70, which is pretty impressive for late April. If the cap can be broken I think some pop up cells will form in part of GA and the Carolinas, I feel like the flow will really help get these going right in northern and eastern GA near the SAV River Valley to near AVL, both Monday and Tuesday afternoon, and spill over the western side of the Apps late Tuesday. It would be nice to have this kind of surface flow in the Summer months, even though it would mean high humidity, the daily pop ups would be a certainty.

post-38-0-10538500-1303475733.gif

post-38-0-91983200-1303475744.gif

post-38-0-23539800-1303475749.gif

Woke up this morning to the sound of rumbling thunder and moderate rain :thumbsup: What a perfect way to celebrate Earth Day :wub: I'm headed to Lowes to see what kind of trees they are giving away today......hopefully it's not a pine tree :lol:

Celebrate earth day? A little corny don't you think? :lol::P

J/k btw :) I used to love planting trees when I was little. I would go out and find me a maple or oak and plant it without telling my father and he wasn't too happy some of the time lol. I always wanted to get me some of those super fast growing trees I saw in magazines because I thought it would be cool to see a tree grow so many feet per year and they looked like good shade trees. Never got a chance though since he wouldn't order them :angry: I liked having more trees but unfortunately my father didn't.

Got woke up to a good t-storm this morning between 5 and 6am. Seemed like the lightning was unusually bright..or maybe it was because it was so damn early in the morning lol. There were some pretty close strikes though. Picked up 1.25. It's been an enjoyable spring to me between all the severe weather/t-storms and having frequent rains..or enough frequency to keep everything so green.

Celebrate earth day? A little corny don't you think? :lol::P

J/k btw :) I used to love planting trees when I was little. I would go out and find me a maple or oak and plant it without telling my father and he wasn't too happy some of the time lol. I always wanted to get me some of those super fast growing trees I saw in magazines because I thought it would be cool to see a tree grow so many feet per year and they looked like good shade trees. Never got a chance though since he wouldn't order them :angry: I liked having more trees but unfortunately my father didn't.

Got woke up to a good t-storm this morning between 5 and 6am. Seemed like the lightning was unusually bright..or maybe it was because it was so damn early in the morning lol. There were some pretty close strikes though. Picked up 1.25. It's been an enjoyable spring to me between all the severe weather/t-storms and having frequent rains..or enough frequency to keep everything so green.

:lol: Me and the earth have this deal......I walk barefoot to scratch her back, plant some trees to bring relief from the heat, and she let's Old Man Winter bring me snow at least once a decade :wub::lol::P

I have ordered two Lombardy Poplar trees for the backyard. They are supposed to grow up to 6ft per year, but with this drought I'll be happy if they make it to next summer :lol:

Woke up this morning to the sound of rumbling thunder and moderate rain :thumbsup: What a perfect way to celebrate Earth Day :wub: I'm headed to Lowes to see what kind of trees they are giving away today......hopefully it's not a pine tree :lol:

Had clouds and rain on radar for 3 days and nary a drop fell here. Now the next chance is next week sometime. Oh, well, I managed to

get my grass seed growing via the sprinkler so I guess I can keep it alive the same way :)

Don't plant pines...I've lost at least 50 to pine beetles. I risk my life weekly, it seems, cutting down these dead sentinals so they won't get me when I'm not looking. Get some Japanese maples! Absolutely beautiful trees. T

Had clouds and rain on radar for 3 days and nary a drop fell here. Now the next chance is next week sometime. Oh, well, I managed to

get my grass seed growing via the sprinkler so I guess I can keep it alive the same way :)

Don't plant pines...I've lost at least 50 to pine beetles. I risk my life weekly, it seems, cutting down these dead sentinals so they won't get me when I'm not looking. Get some Japanese maples! Absolutely beautiful trees. T

I got lucky this time with that batch of rain sitting over the midlands this morning. Not sure how much is in the bucket, but has to be close to an inch :weight_lift: I planted a small (about 4' tall) Japanese maple last spring :wub: I would like a cottonwood tree for the back yard, but I've been afraid to get one with the lack of rain these past few years :(

Those bastards took out 2 or 3 acres of pines on my family land. Fortunately they were away from any of the houses but they did fall on our road to the barn for awhile. We finally got most of them cut but we left a few for the Pileated woodpeckers that were nesting in there. One good thing is we get a lot of fatwood from the old stumps.

Can't stand pines anyway, they're only good for straw and falling on houses. Get maples of any type. I have a Japanese Maple at my patio and out front, I'll get a picture of it in a while and post it. Beautiful tree but it can get zapped by very cold weather as it's starting to green up. I don't think I'd try it in the mountains. I have 4 sugar maples across the back of the yard, but that's it for big trees in the yard. I don't want things falling on the house and filling my gutters with leaves or needles. I do have some 50 foot Leyland Cypress down one side of the backyard, LOVE those. Great fence, wind block, and shade for other plants.

I got lucky this time with that batch of rain sitting over the midlands this morning. Not sure how much is in the bucket, but has to be close to an inch :weight_lift: I planted a small (about 4' tall) Japanese maple last spring :wub: I would like a cottonwood tree for the back yard, but I've been afraid to get one with the lack of rain these past few years :(

I thought of you when I saw it pouring in SC this morning. I had a couple hours of very good rain, totalled up to .54". Nice, drippy day, I love it. Everything is lush and green. If the high winds didn't shred some stuff off early, along with hail storms, plus all the downed trees this would have been one of the prettiest Springs I can recall here. Perfect mix of weather, just a little bit rough LOL.

If you want a fast growing shade tree, I recommend the October Glory Maple. Lowe's has them. I bought their standard gallon size back in Oct 2005. Here's a pic in Feb or March 2006, and one I just took last week. I watered in the Summer, esp . in June and July, when it wouldn't rain. Over the last 2 years I'd say its really been growing faster and faster. I love trees, and could live in the middle of the forest. :lol: Hope your's grows well, whatever you plant. Just keep a hose handy for June and July!

post-38-0-53278600-1303495562.jpg

post-38-0-10496000-1303495602.jpg

I thought of you when I saw it pouring in SC this morning. I had a couple hours of very good rain, totalled up to .54". Nice, drippy day, I love it. Everything is lush and green. If the high winds didn't shred some stuff off early, along with hail storms, plus all the downed trees this would have been one of the prettiest Springs I can recall here. Perfect mix of weather, just a little bit rough LOL.

If you want a fast growing shade tree, I recommend the October Glory Maple. Lowe's has them. I bought their standard gallon size back in Oct 2005. Here's a pic in Feb or March 2006, and one I just took last week. I watered in the Summer, esp . in June and July, when it wouldn't rain. Over the last 2 years I'd say its really been growing faster and faster. I love trees, and could live in the middle of the forest. :lol: Hope your's grows well, whatever you plant. Just keep a hose handy for June and July!

Thanks Robert :wub: I had no idea they grew that fast :) I ended up with 1.28 this morning :weight_lift:

BTW......the Lowes tree offer is on Saturday, and they are giving away pine trees here in colatown. :lol::angry::axe:

Thanks Robert :wub: I had no idea they grew that fast :) I ended up with 1.28 this morning :weight_lift:

BTW......the Lowes tree offer is on Saturday, and they are giving away pine trees here in colatown. :lol::angry::axe:

I thought you were joking about the free trees from Lowes. Are they saplings? I never had any luck with them, they just grow so crooked for me. But I'll check it out. Glad you got a nice rain!

Archived