• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April

griteater

Very windy day today here in Dahlonega. Peak gust measured is 40mph and highest 10min average is 22mph! And my wind gauge is only 6 feet off the ground. Breeezzyy...

Yeah, I was just out watering the grass seed....and after just getting 4 inches of rain a few days back..... go figure. But that wind will dry out the ground surface in a heart beat. Tony

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool pics, downeastnc! Surprised it got as cold as it did last night. We bottomed out at 30° with a light frost.

I am working nights this weekend so I slept all day and as I started in to work I was like whoa thats some serious virga and it was getting close to the surface. Wild to think snow is making it to within 500 ft or so of the ground when its 60 degrees at the surface.

When I walked out of the plant at 7:30 this morning there were a few patches of very light frost and it looks like we got to 36 right at 7am. I am ready to get my garden going so hopefully we dont have to worry about another frost till sometime in Oct.

They're hinting an one more shot of frost over this way Tuesday night -- and calling for 85° tomorrow. Glad I haven't planted yet.

i have been wanting to put out plants for about 2 weeks now, but have been holding off (which is good since we had more frost last week). i wish the nws would use something other than a special wx statement for the fire statements. just call them a fire statement. for a brief moment i thought we might have some active wx on the way lol

Late Spring type weather looks to be headed for the region this weekend and first part of next week. I for one am ready for 80 and 90 degree weather. I've got some projects to do in the yard that require it to get warm and stay warm so bring it on!

We had some pretty good wind in Franklin, NC (far-western North Carolina) yesterday. Here is a short clip I shot at an outdoor festival yesterday that shows the difficulty the band was having with the wind. It even knocked over my tripod because I didn't have the legs fully extended... http://twitpic.com/4g84yu

It was horrible, I was at two softball games on saturday. Left with windburn!:thumbsdown:

Interesting temp gradient this morning...

40F in Cullowhee (2078' in a bowl valley) at 7am

Climbed to 58F in Cyde, NC (2600') at 7:35am.

I climbed over Balsam Gap (3200') which essentially is the lowest point on the massive Great Balsam Range (Pkwy; 4500' - 6400')). This range must have been the divider for this cold to warm temp gradient.

Wild month of April is holding to its name... Upper 70's today then only up to 57 tomorrow. All for nothing as we're close to 80 Saturday! :sun:

It looks to me like N ga/ Upstate SC could be in for a widespread hard frost wednesday morning. 850 temps are below freezing at midnight and warm to 2 or 3 C by daybreak; however, we are gonna be directly centered under high pressure from about midnight onwards so we should really maximize radiational cooling.

It looks to me like N ga/ Upstate SC could be in for a widespread hard frost wednesday morning. 850 temps are below freezing at midnight and warm to 2 or 3 C by daybreak; however, we are gonna be directly centered under high pressure from about midnight onwards so we should really maximize radiational cooling.

I think it will be great conditions for radiational cooling in those areas. I would be surprised if I do not drop below freezing Wed AM. My hope is that this is it.:gun_bandana:

I'm afraid many will hit the freezing mark. Glad I didn't put out tomatoes or anything. The center of the high will be directly on top of the western Carolinas to N. GA by morning, and I think clouds will break this evening, so we'll radiate. The high moisture content will lead to some heavy frost probably.

post-38-0-43966700-1302017059.jpg

No more freezes! blueberries are covered with blooms as are the apples, be a shame to loose them! Another windy, cool day ahead.

1.70 from last nights storms.

I think they will be fine. It takes a harder freeze than this to get to apples and blueberries. I am worried about my hydrangeas though. They've already been burned once.

Bone chilling (for April at least) 30.6 so far here in Dahlonega as expected. I bet Rosie is in the 20's for sure.

glad i didnt plant anything yet! was 31.2 when i took the dog out this morning. a decent frost as well - still visible in the shady areas at 9 am

no frost but 32 here this morning. I think most of us outside the mountains are now done with frost until next October or November. No cold air showing up in any model runs, but atleast we get 2 more weak fronts next week each with a little bit of rain. Also, there's no huge outrageous heatwaves yet, ie, 588dm ridges in the Southeast. I'm going to enjoy the warmer, sunny weather.

no frost but 32 here this morning. I think most of us outside the mountains are now done with frost until next October or November. No cold air showing up in any model runs, but atleast we get 2 more weak fronts next week each with a little bit of rain. Also, there's no huge outrageous heatwaves yet, ie, 588dm ridges in the Southeast. I'm going to enjoy the warmer, sunny weather.

Yep looks like nothing but boredom for awhile. No chance to make up for the severe fail anytime soon :(.

Archived