• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
JB's Wild Start to December

I seem to remember a very nice snowstorm you had at the end of last Feb.

For Philly, not the Scranton area... I havent had a good storm here since the 06-07 winter.

Analog, You are correct. Here's something to jog your memory, Dodge:

http://thetimes-trib...-storm-1.643419

Most of your area received at least a foot, up to 20 inches in some area.

That storm made February 2010 the snowiest February on record in Scranton: http://thetimes-trib...ranton-1.644206

Looks like Analog wins in the memory contest. Snowman.gif

With all the cold air progged for the next few weeks we will surely have snow and a good chance at above normal snowfall for the month of December. JB is also on the train (shock) for a possible big storm...however he has allowed that such a storm could of course track west of the big cities and be a snow to rain event with a brief warm up and then back to the cold. He is however NOT predicting a big east coast snowstorm at this time.

He like most others continue to pound the fact that the end of winter for cold is also in sight and likely around the solstice. But after last winter....not much to complain about from me!

God, I was REALLY hoping that wasn't the case....

I haven't really looked enough to know, but is there anything to support a storm of that magnitude, or is he talking about a lesser storm with the same sort of setup and areas impacted?

Yeah he likes to really stir the pot doesnt he.....

Is that the 240 storm on the euro?

If it is, many areas hit by the blizzard of 96 will be hit by the Rain of 2010.:whistle: Of course in 12 hours it will look totally different. What is encouraging from the Euro is the last several runs show a storm somewhere in the east in about 10 days.

With all the cold air progged for the next few weeks we will surely have snow and a good chance at above normal snowfall for the month of December. JB is also on the train (shock) for a possible big storm...however he has allowed that such a storm could of course track west of the big cities and be a snow to rain event with a brief warm up and then back to the cold. He is however NOT predicting a big east coast snowstorm at this time.

He like most others continue to pound the fact that the end of winter for cold is also in sight and likely around the solstice. But after last winter....not much to complain about from me!

you're like the Joe Gibbs of the Bastardi administration

Analog, You are correct. Here's something to jog your memory, Dodge:

http://thetimes-trib...-storm-1.643419

Most of your area received at least a foot, up to 20 inches in some area.

That storm made February 2010 the snowiest February on record in Scranton: http://thetimes-trib...ranton-1.644206

Looks like Analog wins in the memory contest. Snowman.gif

NICE!!!!

How sad would it be, if the storm track was suppressed pretty far south of us during December, such that we see nothing here but cold and dry, then goes well north of us as winter ends after Christmas. It's certainly seems possible.

While the next week or so will be dry i think mid month will not be though that doesn't mean all that falls from the sky will be frozen, at least in these parts.

How sad would it be, if the storm track was suppressed pretty far south of us during December, such that we see nothing here but cold and dry, then goes well north of us as winter ends after Christmas. It's certainly seems possible.

Its always a threat during a La Nina winter....but with a -NAO like I think we're going to see dominate this winter I'd be surprised if there is not chances for storms in Feb/March...January I think will be relatively dead although with the -NAO will probably average only near to slightly above normal.

Interesting post by Joe Bastardi this morning. Apparently the new Euro weeklies that he's seen show the cold holding through the new year and is leading him to question his forecast a bit and think that maybe he's too fast with his call for a flip to warmth. He brings up the winter of 1916-1917, which apparently, like this year, had a strong La Nina. Interestingly, this past summer in Ottawa averaged almost exactly the same as that of 1916, as did Sepetmber and October. November 1916 averaged about a degree and half celcius colder than November 2010. Also interesting to note is the fact that December 1916, while moderately cold, did not see any extreme cold up here. Instead, that winter continued to deepen and turn colder against the means as it progressed, with January being colder than December and February being the coldest of all. Oh, January 1917 saw a metre of snow fall in Ottawa.

The winter of 1916-17 in Chester County featured 53.8" of snow with a storm on December 15, 1916 bringing 6.7" and the seasons biggest storm on March 17, 1917 when 8.8" fell

FWIW, since I have the data already ranked in Excel, the winter of 1916-1917 was the 12th snowiest winter in Memphis (data from 1884-85 through 2009-10).

The winter of 1916-17 in Chester County featured 53.8" of snow with a storm on December 15, 1916 bringing 6.7" and the seasons biggest storm on March 17, 1917 when 8.8" fell

53.8" of snow with the largest storm producing 8.8" ... very interesting. There must have be a lot of storms that winter.

Yes...by month as follows...with above normal December/March/April and below normal Jan and Feb...this sounds like what we might see this year

Dec 14.9"

Jan 8.5"

Feb 9.6"

Mar 15.3"

April 5.5"

53.8" of snow with the largest storm producing 8.8" ... very interesting. There must have be a lot of storms that winter.

Yes...by month as follows...with above normal December/March/April and below normal Jan and Feb...this sounds like what we might see this year

Dec 14.9"

Jan 8.5"

Feb 9.6"

Mar 15.3"

April 5.5"

50.7" of snow for NYC in 1916-17...12.7" 12/15...

snowfalls.................................................................................

0.6"...0.2"...12.7"...0.3"...0.7"...0.9"...1.0"...1.8"...0.4"...1.7"...3.4"...1.2"...3.3"...4.3"...2.9"...6.7"...2.1"...6.5"...

Thanks Paul and Unc.

The smaller snowfall amounts seem typical for La Nina, but the 200%+ totals for the season are a little surprising. Just another reminder that you can't look at ENSO alone when making a seasonal forecast. Let's hope this year has a trick or two up its sleeve. Snowman.gif

As i said in a regional thread, JB has been pushing his point that winter will be over for most people in the east come january - he makes it sound like the return of January 1990 and 2006. He is characteristically vague though. Is he calling for a bust of a winter for places like Burlington, Plattsburgh, Ottawa and Montreal, or just in the places that got hammered last year? Will the cold and the storm track shift north of 42N like in 2007-2008?

Does anyone here think his call for a change to snow on Wednesday has merit? What do other mets think?

post-866-0-38803400-1291484763.jpg

Archived