• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
00z GGEM

Ji

You always make it a big deal when Ji posts or makes a thead. It if is that annoying just skip it. Problem solved. I mean we had two threads going on yesterday for the cold front and wind event and people were posting obs and talking on both, that was more confusing than a 0z GGEM thread started by Ji.

Always? I've ignored most of these threads in recent weeks. Also, are you supporting these types of threads? Do you find value in them?

The one thread was for obs/etc., and the other one is for more continual discussion of future events. There may have been a few misplaced replies in the longer-running thread, but that's out of 13 pages of mostly on-topic and appropriate discussion.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who said it was a big deal? I was just giving my opinion in one of the many off-shoot and/or IMO pointless/troll threads that Ji has posted. He has a habit of creating inane threads or making separate threads for things that are already being discussed in an on-topic manner in another thread. I'm not a fan of seeing things like "look at this one/few frame(s) from the [insert model here]" threads, especially when it can be discussed in an existing thread. In this instance, he made a thread indicating a run of the GGEM, which most would interpret from the title as being a current event. It, in fact, is not. I wouldn't have a problem with it if he had done a remembrance thread of sorts.

Well said!

In 26 days days Ji has posted 14 topics.

8 were basically BS and 6 were actually about current events.

4 alone were just repeatedly whining about the snow hole in DC.

Perhaps Ji can have his own thread to talk about all of this rather than ramming it down everyones throat.

You always make it a big deal when Ji posts or makes a thead. It if is that annoying just skip it. Problem solved. I mean we had two threads going on yesterday for the cold front and wind event and people were posting obs and talking on both, that was more confusing than a 0z GGEM thread started by Ji.

And most people who follow this hobby or pro career would know if it said 00z GGEM,and they thought it was a current run of it, would know it wouldnt be showing a snowstorm.

Why are you such a tool? I was talking about before I opened the thread. It could show a snowstorm in the day 7 range. The GGEM is a pretty crappy model anyway.

if you give ji a separate thread, you make him special, and there is not one damn thing special about him. Ellinwood is right in his assertions about him. Ignore him. as I said earlier, maybe he will go away. doubtful.but possible. Otherwise stop feeding this threads!!!! I know I,m doing it too.!!

ya im going to go away

Always? I've ignored most of these threads in recent weeks. Also, are you supporting these types of threads? Do you find value in them?

The one thread was for obs/etc., and the other one is for more continual discussion of future events. There may have been a few misplaced replies in the longer-running thread, but that's out of 13 pages of mostly on-topic and appropriate discussion.

You make as many whiny posts about Ji as Ji makes about missing out on a snowstorm. You whine here, 40 s and dbm. So I guess now, no one is allowed to talk about old storms, hope everyone got the memo.

A few? more than a few, people were posting in both. If one thread bothers you, I dont know what to say. you want all serious and proper discussion go to other boards then

Why are you such a tool? I was talking about before I opened the thread. It could show a snowstorm in the day 7 range. The GGEM is a pretty crappy model anyway.

why do you even care? you dont even live in the region. If the GGEM is such a crappy model then why are you even bothering reading that specific thread.

You make as many whiny posts about Ji as Ji makes about missing out on a snowstorm. You whine here, 40 s and dbm. So I guess now, no one is allowed to talk about old storms, hope everyone got the memo.

A few? more than a few, people were posting in both. If one thread bothers you, I dont know what to say. you want all serious and proper discussion go to other boards then

I haven't talked about Ji on 40S in a loooooooooong time. In DBM I was hoping to point out that Ji was running amok with weenie posts in the winter threads (more so than usual), and that some of it would at least get moderated.

Did I say people could not talk about past storms? No. I even suggested that, if he had made the thread title about last year's storm, that I would be fine with this thread.

It's okay to talk about a storm the day of in an ongoing thread... the only thing that was really out of place was the nowcasting/obs stuff, and the VAST majority of that discussion moved over into the separate thread when the time came for it. Even so, that doesn't really pertain to the argument at hand, which is the usefulness/quality of threads like the one we're in right now, unless you're suggesting that we put all of the nowcasting/obs into the original 2011 Severe thread.

I haven't talked about Ji on 40S in a loooooooooong time. In DBM I was hoping to point out that Ji was running amok with weenie posts in the winter threads (more so than usual), and that some of it would at least get moderated.

Did I say people could not talk about past storms? No. I even suggested that, if he had made the thread title about last year's storm, that I would be fine with this thread.

It's okay to talk about a storm the day of in an ongoing thread... the only thing that was really out of place was the nowcasting/obs stuff, and the VAST majority of that discussion moved over into the separate thread when the time came for it. Even so, that doesn't really pertain to the argument at hand, which is the usefulness/quality of threads like the one we're in right now, unless you're suggesting that we put all of the nowcasting/obs into the original 2011 Severe thread.

ive been posting since 1999 on weather boards. Im not changing. Deal with it.

ive been posting since 1999 on weather boards. Im not changing. Deal with it.

It's not so much about having you change as it is trying to get the mods to, IMO, do a better (read: more objective) job curbing some of the posts/threads you make.

And yes, I do realize how ultimately fruitless the effort on my part is.

the good thing for your ellington is that i dont post much in the non cold season. I usually post from April-August for 3 reasons. To complain about dry weather, talk baseball and troll the hurricane season. Otherwise, you wont see much of me till fall

I love listening to the "new" people on americanwx. If they had spent any time on Eastern they would know the deal. It is easy enough to block JI. just go into your settings and block him. I have blocked him for years. Every now and then he post something worth reading. And I usually get to see what it is through someones reply.

I love listening to the "new" people on americanwx. If they had spent any time on Eastern they would know the deal. It is easy enough to block JI. just go into your settings and block him. I have blocked him for years. Every now and then he post something worth reading. And I usually get to see what it is through someones reply.

most of the people who complain about him dont know half of what he does about weather

thank you for that insight. Have made my changes.

most of the people who complain about him dont know half of what he does about weather

Does he write a blog or something where he actually comes across as knowledgeable? All I see him do is post about model runs. I guess he is good at looking at the blue line and green splotches. Then again, I've seen him screw that up many times as well.

Does he write a blog or something where he actually comes across as knowledgeable? All I see him do is post about model runs. I guess he is good at looking at the blue line and green splotches. Then again, I've seen him screw that up many times as well.

I think Ian's comment has more to do with his and Ellinwood's fight, than it has to do with Ji's forecasting abilities. But hey what the hell do i know, i can barely figure out the blue lines and green splotches :thumbsup: .

TBH Guys I really think you are making too much of a big deal of it. Relax, we are on a weather forum and I think its fine to have joke comments along side more knowledgable ones. Ji, is a fine poster and I am not a newb, I've been around weather forums since 2007 (I have been through eastern and a few other other places).

Another thing, I do appreciate the moderating of new members, but sometimes it really gets ridiculously out of hand, the world is not gonna end with every weenie comment made, if it gets too much then ok, but to moderate every question as if all posters should be experts in weather or have at least some knowledge in weather is unfeasible. This is a place where people try to learn things along with discuss weather so if there is a crazily basic question made by someone then why don't you try answering it instead of saying "read more post less"..

TBH Guys I really think you are making too much of a big deal of it. Relax, we are on a weather forum and I think its fine to have joke comments along side more knowledgable ones. Ji, is a fine poster and I am not a newb, I've been around weather forums since 2007 (I have been through eastern and a few other other places).

Another thing, I do appreciate the moderating of new members, but sometimes it really gets ridiculously out of hand, the world is not gonna end with every weenie comment made, if it gets too much then ok, but to moderate every question as if all posters should be experts in weather or have at least some knowledge in weather is unfeasible. This is a place where people try to learn things along with discuss weather so if there is a crazily basic question made by someone then why don't you try answering it instead of saying "read more post less"..

I was on Eastern near the beginning of last winter up through the time it shut down, then re-joined here at American soon after it started up. So I'd probably be considered relateively "new", though even before I joined at Eastern I lurked for some time (there, and on the Accuweather forums), probably about a year or so. I saw the battles that went on in here over Ji (and some others), various comments, weenieisms, etc. Quite the fireworks when DT would go at it with Ji and others, too, I have to say! Of course I have no idea how long that had been going on but I assumed for some time.

I joined because it looked like an interesting weather board, myself being interested in this field and also holding degrees in meteorology/atmospheric science (though not really a forecaster per se). Certainly, the topics, analysis, and commentary were a lot more intelligent and informative than what I saw on Accuweather's forums. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here, and most everyone, I find, adds something to the discussions. That, despite some of the internal "warfare" that can go on.

As for Ji, who knows, obviously he's a snow lover. So am I, and many others, and I know it's easy to let emotions or whatever bring you up or down for any event, especially around here and especially what we've seen this year. But in some ways, I have to wonder if some of his comments are done purely for the snark factor, i.e., for sarcastic humor and not to be serious, or else just to see if it would ruffle some feathers and get a whirlwind of negative commentary. In which case, it's actually kind of funny sometimes. I like putting up the occasional humorous comment too. If anything, to lighten the mood.

That said, when I thought about it, I do have to say it's a bit borderline posting a new topic with the title "00Z GGEM" as if it's recent, when in reality it was last February's storm. To be honest, given that there is some element of possibility for some winter in the longer ranges of the GFS (slight as it may be!)...when I first saw this thread I thought to myself "well, maybe something really interesting has come up!" Then I saw the map and the date. That's kind of borderline there between a humorous joke and just plain asinine and rude. Heck, it's not even the 1 year anniversary of that storm either! It might be funny if it were done on Feb. 4 or something. Besides, we did have a couple of "reminiscing" threads about all the storms last year anyhow.

I agree about moderating, not just new members but everyone...I suppose every type of board like this requires that. But Snow36 is right, we shouldn't hammer every single "weenie" comment unless it's really getting wild. A lot of people (myself included) ask legitimate questions that maybe some might find aggravating and toss out the "read more post less!" comments. Well, that's true, sometimes one should read a little more. But sometimes, let's be honest, who wants to look through hundreds of previous comments to get an answer on (for instance) "hey, what did the 00Z Euro show?" I mean, really, would it be that hard to give a quick run-down and spare the smack-down remarks? Or something a little more polite like, "check a few pages ago, so-and-so gave a good interpretation of it, but it looks great."? Everyone knows how fast information can scroll off the top of the page (so to speak) when there's a big event and tons of posts every hour about it.

OK, well, sorry for the long post, but my 2 cents for what it's worth!

I think Ian's comment has more to do with his and Ellinwood's fight, than it has to do with Ji's forecasting abilities. But hey what the hell do i know, i can barely figure out the blue lines and green splotches :thumbsup: .

not really.. tho ellinwood has a history of getting annoyed over everything.

You and Ellinwood are turning into a Mid-Atl tradition.

he's got a big head already for such a young met. i'll just stop posting about svr if i have to.. no big loss. ill get more done in my life.

I joined because it looked like an interesting weather board, myself being interested in this field and also holding degrees in meteorology/atmospheric science (though not really a forecaster per se). Certainly, the topics, analysis, and commentary were a lot more intelligent and informative than what I saw on Accuweather's forums. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here, and most everyone, I find, adds something to the discussions. That, despite some of the internal "warfare" that can go on.

You should ask for a red tag.

It's not so much about having you change as it is trying to get the mods to, IMO, do a better (read: more objective) job curbing some of the posts/threads you make.

And yes, I do realize how ultimately fruitless the effort on my part is.

so now that you've got the point, no need to whine about it anymore, right?

You should ask for a red tag.

:lol: Not sure if you're saying that jokingly! But nah, not so sure if I'm really even "eligible" for that. Though I've got a lot of meteorological background, I don't do any real forecasting myself and even in the past haven't done all that much in that regard. I thought the "red tag" was for those who do some modicum of actual forecasting on a regular basis. I do enjoy examining the models, know well enough how to "read" them, make assessments, follow forecast discussions on here and add my thoughts, but not anything like professionally. I've actually learned a lot just seeing what others point out, things to look for in certain situations, etc.

:lol: Not sure if you're saying that jokingly! But nah, though I've got a lot of meteorological background, I don't do any real forecasting myself and even in the past haven't done all that much. I thought the "red tag" was for those who do some modicum of actual forecasting on a regular basis. I do enjoy examining the models, know well enough how to "read" them, make assessments, follow forecast discussions on here and add my thoughts, but not anything like professionally. I've actually learned a lot just seeing what others point out, things to look for in certain situations, etc.

I'm not joking. My understanding is that anyone with a met degree can get a red tag.

Archived