• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
European cold

Ajdos

Not only that but Quebec City and Montreal are some of the coolest and nicest cities I've ever been to (I think we had this discussion before heh). I don't know French, but want to learn it. Though you don't really need to know it up there. Most people know at least minimal english. I've been looking at past years in Quebec City and there's a pretty good chance I'll experience sub-zero temps. If I'm lucky, sub -20, which happens often during the colder winters. Can't imagine how awesome it'll be walking around the Old Town in such cold temps and snow. And hopefully the St. Lawrence River will freeze over.

Winter carnival in early feb is awesome. Recommend it for every snow lover. Book a boutique hotel in the lower town. Fantastic snow vibe there.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ps, finally, we had a beut of a Polar Low hit the east coast today, the radar presentation was wonderful and honestly looked like a weak hurricane on radar, with nearly a closed eyewall feature and obvious eye type feature as well, though that presentation kept coming and going until it made landfall, where it briefly got tighter before weakening again...it did develop amazing inflow channels through from either side of England.

Are polar lows common in England? How much snow falls? What about the winds?

Are polar lows common in England? How much snow falls? What about the winds?

Not that common really, Scotland tens to get more of them but I'd say they aren't common, esp as far south as this one was. This one wrapped up really quickly and the evolution on radar was very impressive, starting as a single thunderstorm complex then it spun up into a very compact low. It didn't have time to really become too strong, though it did give gusts in the 40-50kts range which was markedly above the surrounding area, though its possible locally gutsts were a little higher. Also because of its compact nature and the fact it was weakening into landfall snowfall totals weren't that high. However the presentation was unreal. It had a clear inflow channel to its east, a small and at one point nearly closed eyewall type feature and an eye that nearly had a clear spot on radar. Sadly that didn't last that long but no doubt it was a polar low given the depth of cold we have at the moment, the strong lapse rates and also the evolution.

I remember back in Jan we had another low that dropped southwards through the country and into the Channel, there it tightened up a great deal and also developed a sort of lopsided hurricane like apperence on radar with a total clear slot and obvious eyewall like feature, plus strong banding features. That feature ended up giving some areas 10-14 inches of snow.

Further north though in Scotland is the place to really find really strong PL, probably the strongest was in Feb 69 which gave a wind gust of 118kts to sea level...so pretty much on par with a cat 3 hurricane in terms of gusts anyway...

Germany is experiencing quiet a bit of cold and snow atm, they went right into winter. Frankfurt is experiencing very cold weather with occasional snowfall each day. This is a bit werid because during la-nina years, especially strong Germany seems to be on the mild side, not this year.. The Extreme winters in europe are becoming more common.

-NAO?

I was there last winter carnival at the same hotel, a little bit of a walk but what a great hotel. I love Quebec City, great place.

The walk is beautiful though. Love the stairs and climbing up the steep narrow streets. Might be a bit harder in the winter but still.

And Pur's free espresso = wub.gif

Time sensitive, but the forecast in this link seems very very extreme for Paris... I lived in Bonn for 3 years (admittedly was young) but it rarely got that cold, and days with highs below freezing were very unusual (this was 96-99). For highs to stay in the teens in Paris is pretty extreme, and 3" of snow is even pretty unusual.

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Paris/forecasts/latest

I've found automated forecast sites like weather-forecast.com and wunderground.com are often way off (they are usually 5-10F too warm for Israel).

The Meteo France and UK Met Office forecasts for Paris are a lot more moderate - highs of 0 to -2C (30-32F) Wed and Thu.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/europe/parisforecast.html

http://france.meteofrance.com/france/meteo?PREVISIONS_PORTLET.path=previsionsville%2F751010%2F

Time sensitive, but the forecast in this link seems very very extreme for Paris... I lived in Bonn for 3 years (admittedly was young) but it rarely got that cold, and days with highs below freezing were very unusual (this was 96-99). For highs to stay in the teens in Paris is pretty extreme, and 3" of snow is even pretty unusual.

http://www.weather-f...orecasts/latest

I've found automated forecast sites like weather-forecast.com and wunderground.com are often way off (they are usually 5-10F too warm for Israel).

The Meteo France and UK Met Office forecasts for Paris are a lot more moderate - highs of 0 to -2C (30-32F) Wed and Thu.

http://www.metoffice...isforecast.html

http://france.meteof...lle%2F751010%2F

Yeah I might take a compromise between the two...ECM shows 850s around -13C and I hear there's some snow cover around, so I wouldn't be surprised if they topped out in the mid 20s in the suburbs with upper 20s downtown. That's a brutally cold pattern for Europe. Should be some more snow coming to the British Isles as well.

Broke the record for the coldest week in the last week of November, beating some of the last weeks of November from the Little Ice Age...and indeed beat it by quite some way as well!

Super impressive pattern for the time of year, and VERY cold throughout most of Europe. Some place sin the SE of England not that far from a foot...further north in Scotland they quite widely have a foot and some have had a LOT more then that, 3-4ft now.

Dublin and parts of southeast Ireland have had one to two feet of snow from sea-effect squalls past two days, causing widespread travel disruptions in that part of the country. But at least the Irish have a sense of humor about it, one comment on an Irish weather forum says something like this:

Ever since it started to snow, my wife has been looking through the window ... I guess if it gets any worse, I may have to let her in.

Dublin and parts of southeast Ireland have had one to two feet of snow from sea-effect squalls past two days, causing widespread travel disruptions in that part of the country. But at least the Irish have a sense of humor about it, one comment on an Irish weather forum says something like this:

Ever since it started to snow, my wife has been looking through the window ... I guess if it gets any worse, I may have to let her in.

I read that London received 10" of snow; does anyone have numbers from London/Paris and the other major European cities? An amazing event if true.

I read that London received 10" of snow; does anyone have numbers from London/Paris and the other major European cities? An amazing event if true.

I'm not sure about central London but there are widespread values just to the south/west/east of central London of over 8-9 inches and some places are way in excess of that, I've heard of numerous reports of 13-16 inches in the rural spots. I'm about 2 miles off the south coast and have 6 1/2 inches tonight and will probably end up with something just under 8 I'd imagine...

Widespread snow depths of 18-24 inches further north and there are reports in Scotland of 2/3 times those values...

So its certainly been a big snow set-up for the UK, very few areas haven't had some decent snowfall...and some areas have had huge falls for our country...

Its funny, before 08-09 we had pretty much a non-stop milder winter chain with very few major snowfalls. Then 08-09 was a below average winter with a decent snow set-up in Feb, then we had the very cold 09-10 winter which was our first well below average winter in 20 years which had a period of a month which had constant snow threats...but I think this cold spell may well have beaten out even that...and so super early in the season as well...unreal!!

It is very hard to find exact snow totals which is frustrating, but the snowstorm/blizzard (very strong winds at the start of the storm, up to 130kph) paralyzed most major cities for several hours. Warsaw and Bialystok (my hometown) were basically stand-still for several hours. Buses got stuck in the snow, trucks that got stuck blocked pretty much every way in and out of Bialystok, some people were stuck for hours in one place.

I actually found some snow totals which indicate 33cm for Warsaw (over a foot) and 22cm for Bialystok as of 7AM November 30th. Don't know official final totals though. :(

BTW, after the storm Bialystok dropped to -23.3C (-10F). Beautiful! Wish I was there.

56428.jpg

I'm not sure about central London but there are widespread values just to the south/west/east of central London of over 8-9 inches and some places are way in excess of that, I've heard of numerous reports of 13-16 inches in the rural spots. I'm about 2 miles off the south coast and have 6 1/2 inches tonight and will probably end up with something just under 8 I'd imagine...

Widespread snow depths of 18-24 inches further north and there are reports in Scotland of 2/3 times those values...

So its certainly been a big snow set-up for the UK, very few areas haven't had some decent snowfall...and some areas have had huge falls for our country...

Its funny, before 08-09 we had pretty much a non-stop milder winter chain with very few major snowfalls. Then 08-09 was a below average winter with a decent snow set-up in Feb, then we had the very cold 09-10 winter which was our first well below average winter in 20 years which had a period of a month which had constant snow threats...but I think this cold spell may well have beaten out even that...and so super early in the season as well...unreal!!

How much in Portsmouth?  I know a few people there.

Hush, you.  :P

P.S.  I'm going to be in NYC starting Saturday.  Want to meet me, Yehuda, Ben (C*ck Puppet), and whoever else for lunch one day next week?  Come on-- do it!  :)

Of course, Ive been trying to get a get together going for the past 2 years or so.  It would be a nice Hanukkah get together ;)  Get ready for the cold weather!

Todays high winds and heavy rains would have made even you think you were in the middle of a tropical storm ;)  Sustained winds of 30+ Gusts of 50+ every hour from 5 am thru 3 pm out of the SE!

EIDW 012000Z 05008KT 8000 -SHSN TS FEW012 SCT018CB BKN022 00/M02 Q1015 TEMPO 3000 BKN008 10490899

Effectivly what happened is the low that gave loads of snow to Germany yesterday developed a secondary low further west which moved into the channel and gave S.England a good amount of snow. Value between 9-14 inches seem to be reported as highest values for last nights snow, widely 6-8 inches across the SE with not many places escaping...

Just for your information those sorts of values aren't very common in our neck of the woods, we do get 3-6 inch systems say maybe once a year but to get 2 pretty hefty snowfalls in our nexk of the woods in 2 days is very good indeed...

Its quite amazing though, we've waited her ein the UK a very long time for a severe winter cold spell and now we get 2 in the same year!

Effectivly what happened is the low that gave loads of snow to Germany yesterday developed a secondary low further west which moved into the channel and gave S.England a good amount of snow. Value between 9-14 inches seem to be reported as highest values for last nights snow, widely 6-8 inches across the SE with not many places escaping...

Just for your information those sorts of values aren't very common in our neck of the woods, we do get 3-6 inch systems say maybe once a year but to get 2 pretty hefty snowfalls in our nexk of the woods in 2 days is very good indeed...

Its quite amazing though, we've waited her ein the UK a very long time for a severe winter cold spell and now we get 2 in the same year!

Didnt you have a very snowy winter last year also?  Looks like youre having what NYC had in the early 00s to make up for a big snow drought.

Archived