• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
European cold

Ajdos

Germany is experiencing quiet a bit of cold and snow atm, they went right into winter. Frankfurt is experiencing very cold weather with occasional snowfall each day. This is a bit werid because during la-nina years, especially strong Germany seems to be on the mild side, not this year.. The Extreme winters in europe are becoming more common.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Germany is experiencing quiet a bit of cold and snow atm, they went right into winter. Frankfurt is experiencing very cold weather with occasional snowfall each day. This is a bit werid because during la-nina years, especially strong Germany seems to be on the mild side, not this year.. The Extreme winters in europe are becoming common.

Solar?

There has been cold weather in some parts of Europe lately (Scandinavia), but not really in Germany. Frankfurt is +4.4 for the month and has not had a temperature below freezing until yesterday when it got down to 31F. On the other hand Stockholm is -3.8 for the month and has already had 11" of snow.

Having said that, there were numerous calls at least in the Polish media for an extremely cold and possibly record breaking winter. The reasoning used was a slowdown in the Gulf Stream of over 50% due to the oil spill. It is the polish media though so I would do some research before taking that as fact, and I haven't done the research.

There has been cold weather in some parts of Europe lately (Scandinavia), but not really in Germany. Frankfurt is +4.4 for the month and has not had a temperature below freezing until yesterday when it got down to 31F. On the other hand Stockholm is -3.8 for the month and has already had 11" of snow.

Having said that, there were numerous calls at least in the Polish media for an extremely cold and possibly record breaking winter. The reasoning used was a slowdown in the Gulf Stream of over 50% due to the oil spill. It is the polish media though so I would do some research before taking that as fact, and I haven't done the research.

Frankfurt went below freezing back in October, October the 18 to be exact, and it has been very cold since.. They went below freezing several times.. Lowest temp was 27, which was this month on the 25th. Looking at the next two weeks, below average temps and above avrg snowfall look likely.

Frankfurt went below freezing back in October, October the 18 to be exact, and it has been very cold since.. They went below freezing several times.. Lowest temp was 27, which was this month on the 25th. Looking at the next two weeks, below average temps and above avrg snowfall look likely.

Where are you getting your stats from? +4.4 for the month is pretty significantly above normal and not very cold. Also, for the 25th, I have a low temp of 31 on the AccuPro site for Frankfurt Main. Even if it was 27, normal low is 34 so not that significantly off.

Where are you getting your stats from? +4.4 for the month is pretty significantly above normal and not very cold. Also, for the 25th, I have a low temp of 31 on the AccuPro site for Frankfurt Main. Even if it was 27, normal low is 34 so not that significantly off.

Yeah, most of Germany was mild for the first three weeks of the month...but things have turned cold/snowy this week and Berlin is expecting high temps below 20 next week, which is very cold for this early. Definitely an impressive cold spell for much of Europe.

Yeah, most of Germany was mild for the first three weeks of the month...but things have turned cold/snowy this week and Berlin is expecting high temps below 20 next week, which is very cold for this early. Definitely an impressive cold spell for much of Europe.

Agreed. Single digits coming to Poland also. Jealous of their cold. I was in Poland during January 2010 when temperatures plummeted to -20F and it was amazing. Would be impressive if temps got that cold for a second consecutive winter.

Agreed. Single digits coming to Poland also. Jealous of their cold. I was in Poland during January 2010 when temperatures plummeted to -20F and it was amazing. Would be impressive if temps got that cold for a second consecutive winter.

Ireland is preparing for the cold.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1127/1224284258562.html

UK is very cold for the time of year as well, cold may well end up brodering on exceptional and looks like we will get a top 10 coldest last week to November at the moment, with the data going back ovr 300 years...so pretty impressive stuff!

Ugh-- I'm heading to Prague next week for a two- or three-month business trip. I hate winter, I hate the darkness, and I hate the cold. It's gonna suck. :lol:

I'll gladly go in your place. :P

I love the cold and can't wait for our first freezes and snows here. I'm probably not headed there this winter, but I am likely going to go up to Quebec (I'm in love with it), which means my chance for big snows and sub zero temps is even greater! :)

I feel for you though, since you couldn't even enjoy a decently warm summer (minus the one record breaker lol)...

I'll gladly go in your place. :P

I love the cold and can't wait for our first freezes and snows here. I'm probably not headed there this winter, but I am likely going to go up to Quebec (I'm in love with it), which means my chance for big snows and sub zero temps is even greater! :)

I feel for you though, since you couldn't even enjoy a decently warm summer (minus the one record breaker lol)...

I really love winter and want to get this one rolling. Very jealous of how well Europe is doing early in the game, as I am not expecting too much of a winter for the NYC area. I'm also thinking of heading up to Quebec as I'm near fluent in French (was my college major) and want to volunteer up there. I love the spruce and maple forests you find in the far north; Quebec has some of the most picturesque scenery around.

I really love winter and want to get this one rolling. Very jealous of how well Europe is doing early in the game, as I am not expecting too much of a winter for the NYC area. I'm also thinking of heading up to Quebec as I'm near fluent in French (was my college major) and want to volunteer up there. I love the spruce and maple forests you find in the far north; Quebec has some of the most picturesque scenery around.

Not only that but Quebec City and Montreal are some of the coolest and nicest cities I've ever been to (I think we had this discussion before heh). I don't know French, but want to learn it. Though you don't really need to know it up there. Most people know at least minimal english. I've been looking at past years in Quebec City and there's a pretty good chance I'll experience sub-zero temps. If I'm lucky, sub -20, which happens often during the colder winters. Can't imagine how awesome it'll be walking around the Old Town in such cold temps and snow. And hopefully the St. Lawrence River will freeze over.

Not only that but Quebec City and Montreal are some of the coolest and nicest cities I've ever been to (I think we had this discussion before heh). I don't know French, but want to learn it. Though you don't really need to know it up there. Most people know at least minimal english. I've been looking at past years in Quebec City and there's a pretty good chance I'll experience sub-zero temps. If I'm lucky, sub -20, which happens often during the colder winters. Can't imagine how awesome it'll be walking around the Old Town in such cold temps and snow. And hopefully the St. Lawrence River will freeze over.

I haven't spent much time in Montreal but Quebec City is awesome...great restaurants, historic old city with the fortress, lots of clubs and bars to explore at night. Just a wonderfully active and enjoyable place to spend a vacation. I also love the views down to the St. Lawrence River and surrounding hills. They got hammered in 07-08 with 230" of snow on the year...I wish I'd gone there. From what I'm seeing early on, this should be a good winter for them.

I haven't spent much time in Montreal but Quebec City is awesome...great restaurants, historic old city with the fortress, lots of clubs and bars to explore at night. Just a wonderfully active and enjoyable place to spend a vacation. I also love the views down to the St. Lawrence River and surrounding hills. They got hammered in 07-08 with 230" of snow on the year...I wish I'd gone there. From what I'm seeing early on, this should be a good winter for them.

Didn't hit up any clubs last time I was in Quebec but I will this time. Montreal is more of a major city, but not any less fun. Good shopping areas, a great Old Town, lots of restaurants too. Hard to imagine 230" of snow in Quebec though on those tiny, steep, narrow streets. Driving and parking must be fun! I did hear they have an interesting method of plowing though by basically vacuuming the snow into a truck and dumping it elsewhere.

I wish I were able to go during the Winter Carnival. The Summer one was incredible.

Didn't hit up any clubs last time I was in Quebec but I will this time. Montreal is more of a major city, but not any less fun. Good shopping areas, a great Old Town, lots of restaurants too. Hard to imagine 230" of snow in Quebec though on those tiny, steep, narrow streets. Driving and parking must be fun! I did hear they have an interesting method of plowing though by basically vacuuming the snow into a truck and dumping it elsewhere.

I wish I were able to go during the Winter Carnival. The Summer one was incredible.

Yeah my mom and I are considering going during Winter Carnival. Hopefully they get hammered this winter and it's a fun one. I saw some pictures from 07-08; it was literally insane with drifts of snow reaching the 2nd story of many buildings. They tend to do very well in La Niña years so let's just hope the polar jet is active and we get enough of a -EPO to keep Canada cold.

I PMed you by the way.

Ugh-- I'm heading to Prague next week for a two- or three-month business trip. I hate winter, I hate the darkness, and I hate the cold. It's gonna suck. :lol:

Yeah, going from the sun and warmth of southern California, to the dark and cold of Prague will be a real shock to the system!!

http://www.guardian....haos-uk-weather

Guardian article about the brutally cold and snowy conditions in Britain.

I used to live in Chester in NW England and was there for the winter of 1995-96. It was very cold and very snowy and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Long-time residents of that area commented how unusual it all was, normally it was just dismally cold and rainy. Local canals froze up. I was in Newcastle in the NE on Xmas Day in 1995 and it snowed like crazy, first time I'd ever seen a white Xmas.

Ah 95-96, that was a good winter, nothing exceptional but fairly consistantly cold with several decent cold spells...

Last night was the 2nd coldest November night on record overall, only one night in November 1904 beat it, we really are dealing with record breaking cold here.

Weekly average for the last week of November likely will come in at the coldest ever recorded in 300 years of data, indeed may well beating the record by quite a way as well which is quite stunning given we haven't set a record like that for a very long time indeed...

Lots of snowfall, some places in lucky spots now upto a meter of snow and still falling (I think the highest offical total is 90cms) and there are a good few areas, esp in eastern parts that are generally between 6-12 inches. London probably will pick up a streamer at some point tomorrow so we will see more snow here, esp in the south of the city, also will get a weaker version of ytour Lake snow effect from the North Sea as the cold air stengthens aloft again.

ps, finally, we had a beut of a Polar Low hit the east coast today, the radar presentation was wonderful and honestly looked like a weak hurricane on radar, with nearly a closed eyewall feature and obvious eye type feature as well, though that presentation kept coming and going until it made landfall, where it briefly got tighter before weakening again...it did develop amazing inflow channels through from either side of England.

Ah 95-96, that was a good winter, nothing exceptional but fairly consistantly cold with several decent cold spells...

Last night was the 2nd coldest November night on record overall, only one night in November 1904 beat it, we really are dealing with record breaking cold here.

Weekly average for the last week of November likely will come in at the coldest ever recorded in 300 years of data, indeed may well beating the record by quite a way as well which is quite stunning given we haven't set a record like that for a very long time indeed...

Lots of snowfall, some places in lucky spots now upto a meter of snow and still falling (I think the highest offical total is 90cms) and there are a good few areas, esp in eastern parts that are generally between 6-12 inches. London probably will pick up a streamer at some point tomorrow so we will see more snow here, esp in the south of the city, also will get a weaker version of ytour Lake snow effect from the North Sea as the cold air stengthens aloft again.

ps, finally, we had a beut of a Polar Low hit the east coast today, the radar presentation was wonderful and honestly looked like a weak hurricane on radar, with nearly a closed eyewall feature and obvious eye type feature as well, though that presentation kept coming and going until it made landfall, where it briefly got tighter before weakening again...it did develop amazing inflow channels through from either side of England.

Enjoy it mate, sounds like a lot of fun. Now if only they could teach Brits to drive in the snow... ;)

Quebec City tops my list for beautiful snow filled cities. The trip up ene along the St. Lawrence is awesome in winter.

Archived