e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Feb 25 Obs/disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

agree, some of the "academic" in the Atmos. Dept. at LSC think march will be a great month, snow-wise, for CNE and NNE....its almost March and there will be snow on the ground here along the coast just north of Boston, it might not be pretty but it will still be here, its awesome

23/20 One of the reasons I like living here is having wall to wall snowcover all Winter is pretty much the norm. Looking forward to more snow tomorrow night/Sun. The wind is howling here now. Winter has a long way to go despite some bumps in the road. I'll be amused Monday when peopl once again call Winter dead, this Winter is going to be like Freddy Krueger, it just won't die.

I totally agree...I use it with a grain of salt. Also, I mentioned this on here last night but I went to a talk at the national AMS conference about the HRRR (actually the folks that run and maintain it) and they are trying to improve how it forecasts convection, in particular, the positioning of individual storm cells. They also said some general improvements are on the way this summer.

If you don't mind me asking...do you go to school for meteorology??

My snowpack has amazed me. It went from 32 on Feb 2 to about 18 a week ago...and then it just stayed at 18, not budging at all. Now it is up around 27 or 28. I might hit 32 again and then the rain will push it back to 18-20 and then it is going to be ice cement, as cold as it gets later next week.

The freeze refreeze cycle has really made the snow more like ice down here. The snow in my yard absorbed two plus inches of liquid today, which is now congealing again. Just an epic winter looking at all aspects. Today was wild crazy. I watched the neighbors weather station online gyrate with temps every ten minutes as an incredible thermocline sat right over us. I fully expect that kind of wild crazy stuff to continue, perhaps setting us up for something in the historic nature as March progresses, got that feeling and have had it for a very long time. Something about 85 in Fla and -30 in Canada really stirs the pot.

My snowpack has amazed me. It went from 32 on Feb 2 to about 18 a week ago...and then it just stayed at 18, not budging at all. Now it is up around 27 or 28. I might hit 32 again and then the rain will push it back to 18-20 and then it is going to be ice cement, as cold as it gets later next week.

Being a member of the CoT pays dividends.lol Much more snowy weather to go Mark. I wish it never had to end. This has been an awfully fun Winter. Snow motivates me.

yes, lyndon state...senior.....work for Vermont Institute of Applied Meteorology as a climate researcher for a hedgefund and I am a lead forecaster for the Vermont DOT....can't wait to graduate in May. I love reading what you guys have to say, I can't keep up with the talk most of the time because I can't type fast enough but its a lot of fun seeing what I have learned applied. Hope to see some of you at the Northeastern Storm Conference, I am vice president of the AMS club, Paul Kocin is going to be there (my suggestion back in the fall).

If you don't mind me asking...do you go to school for meteorology??

yes, lyndon state...senior.....work for Vermont Institute of Applied Meteorology as a climate researcher for a hedgefund and I am a lead forecaster for the Vermont DOT....can't wait to graduate in May. I love reading what you guys have to say, I can't keep up with the talk most of the time because I can't type fast enough but its a lot of fun seeing what I have learned applied. Hope to see some of you at the Northeastern Storm Conference, I am vice president of the AMS club, Paul Kocin is going to be there (my suggestion back in the fall).

Very very very cool dude.

agree, some of the "academic" in the Atmos. Dept. at LSC think march will be a great month, snow-wise, for CNE and NNE....its almost March and there will be snow on the ground here along the coast just north of Boston, it might not be pretty but it will still be here, its awesome

Glad to hear it especially since the honorable Mica Vim Toot has granted me CNE status.lol That and I plan on spending as much time at MRG the next two months as I can. Hoping to renew my annual tradition of skiing MRG on my birthday, 4/20.

Of course we all love snow up there so some wish casting gets thrown in too, but it should be better than last March. We were calling early-mid March spring skiing and thats not right!

Glad to hear it especially since the honorable Mica Vim Toot has granted me CNE status.lol That and I plan on spending as much time at MRG the next two months as I can. Hoping to renew my annual tradition of skiing MRG on my birthday, 4/20.

Wow, cool. Congrats on what you have going on already.

My co-worker was at that conference and told me about them mentioning HRRR. I started using it last summer along with the SPC 4km WRF. I don't take it verbatim, but I find that it gives clues about the orientation and development of cells. It's pretty good with placement too.

The freeze refreeze cycle has really made the snow more like ice down here. The snow in my yard absorbed two plus inches of liquid today, which is now congealing again. Just an epic winter looking at all aspects. Today was wild crazy. I watched the neighbors weather station online gyrate with temps every ten minutes as an incredible thermocline sat right over us. I fully expect that kind of wild crazy stuff to continue, perhaps setting us up for something in the historic nature as March progresses, got that feeling and have had it for a very long time. Something about 85 in Fla and -30 in Canada really stirs the pot.

My spidey sense has gone off for April as well. I believe we'll see a major April bomb after a very robust March. Let's face it, despite what some of the debbie Downers would say, this has been and continues to be, a very good winter. Big Winter incoming.BIG BIG WINTER!!!1

Where's Ray...I gotta get a progress report.

I walked from the Science Museum to Mike's Pastry. I notice sidewalks were starting to ice over and I mentioned to my daughter that I expect the drizzle to go over to heavier snow shortly. Not 10 seconds later...bam! She had that look of awe in her eyes....lol.. Big splotches quickly accumulating. I figure we'll end with a quick 1-2 inches. Then there is Sunday. 29.5.....cold rain by day, snow by night.

Of course we all love snow up there so some wish casting gets thrown in too, but it should be better than last March. We were calling early-mid March spring skiing and thats not right!

eeewwww! I've had some of the best powder days in March and April. Still a long way to go. When Spring skiing finally does take hold this year it's going to be SWEET!

Big fat dendrites here in Brookline... beautiful to see after the torch...

Why did KBOS tick up from 32.7 to 33, now 34 on NW winds... the only thing holding back whitening roads right now...

Where's Ray...I gotta get a progress report.

I walked from the Science Museum to Mike's Pastry. I notice sidewalks were starting to ice over and I mentioned to my daughter that I expect the drizzle to go over to heavier snow shortly. Not 10 seconds later...bam! She had that look of awe in her eyes....lol.. Big splotches quickly accumulating. I figure we'll end with a quick 1-2 inches. Then there is Sunday. 29.5.....cold rain by day, snow by night.

Big fat dendrites here in Brookline... beautiful to see after the torch...

Why did KBOS tick up from 32.7 to 33, now 34 on NW winds... the only thing holding back whitening roads right now...

KBOS now 33

KBOS 260123Z 31011G20KT 1 1/2SM -SN BR BKN014 BKN019 OVC029 01/M01 A2949 RMK AO2 PRESRR P0000

enjoy it through early Monday....then don't look, not going to be a "killer" or torch as they call it BUT will be some rain/mix/warmer temps late monday then cold again but probably some granular conditions returning next week, hope for a clipper or 2 mid week

Wow, what a storm!

10" NEW in just over 12 hours.

Snow depth has been restored to solidly over 2 feet.

KBOS now 33

KBOS 260123Z 31011G20KT 1 1/2SM -SN BR BKN014 BKN019 OVC029 01/M01 A2949 RMK AO2 PRESRR P0000

Actualy the METARs went from 33F to 34F. The special obs like you posted don't tell you if it is 33F or 34F (just the +1C in the body of the ob). BOS won't report a temp like "32.7" so I'm not sure where wxsniss got that from. :snowman:

This winter is teaching me about a true New England snowpack. It's a living breathing organism.

What a fun day today! Snow watching and weenieing out on the board, doing a little work, then off to snowshoe at our friend's farm, then their chocolate chip cookies fresh outta the oven. Drove home as the last good band came through.....LONG LIVE WINTER!!!

Watching Tosh.0...is there a funnier show on TV? My God that dude is funny and sick.

Actualy the METARs went from 33F to 34F. The special obs like you posted don't tell you if it is 33F or 34F (just the +1C in the body of the ob). BOS won't report a temp like "32.7" so I'm not sure where wxsniss got that from. :snowman:

Actually...it does...

Conditions at Feb 25, 2011 - 08:23 PM EST Feb 25, 2011 - 07:23 PM CST Feb 25, 2011 - 06:23 PM MST Feb 25, 2011 - 05:23 PM PST Feb 25, 2011 - 04:23 PM AST Feb 25, 2011 - 03:23 PM HST

2011.02.26 0123 UTC Wind from the NW (310 degrees) at 13 MPH (11 KT) gusting to 23 MPH (20 KT) Visibility 1 1/2 mile(s) Sky conditions overcast Weather Light snow

Mist Precipitation last hour A trace Temperature 33 F (1 C) Windchill 23 F (-5 C) Dew Point 30 F (-1 C) Relative Humidity 86% Pressure (altimeter) 29.49 in. Hg (998 hPa) Pressure tendency rising rapidly

Being a member of the CoT pays dividends.lol Much more snowy weather to go Mark. I wish it never had to end. This has been an awfully fun Winter. Snow motivates me.

Have been loving this winter....my trip to Anchorage next week got cancelled :(

Unlike you, though, I do look forward to spring and summer. I love New England because of the distinct seasons. Fully loving the snow and anticipating a great summer and garden.

Archived