12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 25 Obs/disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been skiing a pair of Black Diamond Megawatts when conditions warrant. Here's a shot of my friend from AK enjoying them at MRG. They'll definitely float your boat.

Wow. I've got to get up to MRG one of these days.

Not sure how I'd do on a 120mm waist ski in bumps. Thinking I might start with a Blizzard One or Rossi S3.

lol ...dude, people down there have been slitting wrists already. Any idea how deep the pack is at your estate?

I have a 30" fence around the garden. I saw the top of it for the first time in quite some time last week when the torch was on. It's submerged again. Up high there is a lot of snow as the map suggests. This morning I skinned up to the top of the Berkshire Snow Basin. I took my skis off to fix something and promptly postholed up to me waist. Lots of snow.

How long does it take for the snowpack to change temps (I would imagine many variables at play with that question), but you are the hydro resident expert

80 inches, eh? Good call back in July

Dew points drive that bus, wind assisted drying, ground temps. Refreezing takes place rapidly with low dews, frost ground and evaporative cooling. Pete should post snowpack temps tomorrow so you can visualize. The sat thermo imaging is pretty good although warmer near surface temps, precip NCP do skew the numbers. During the 50 degree pouring rain at work the layers underneath were solid frozen 28 degrees. Remember snow melt which is different than sublimation takes place when snow is isothermal 32

Wow. I've got to get up to MRG one of these days.

Not sure how I'd do on a 120mm waist ski in bumps. Thinking I might start with a Blizzard One or Rossi S3.

He's a world class skier, tele/alpine, whatever. He thought they were very snappy in the bumps. I have a 6 year old pair of K2 Axis (all mountain ski) that I love. Of all the skis I have, new and old, those are the ones I'd keep if I could only have one pair in my quiver.

I have a 30" fence around the garden. I saw the top of it for the first time in quite some time last week when the torch was on. It's submerged again. Up high there is a lot of snow as the map suggests. This morning I skinned up to the top of the Berkshire Snow Basin. I took my skis off to fix something and promptly postholed up to me waist. Lots of snow.

:lol: I did the same thing tonight ... went to shovel the deck (for the cat) and decided to go through the yard. Could barely walk with the snow up to my hips. 32" pack FTW.

Ok Kevin, you need a lesson too, uh it will be teens by AM.

I'll check on that. Hope you're right for your sake, not mine.lol Damn Steve, really good Winter. It's about as white and wintery and inhospitable out there as it can be. I'm hoping to snag the high end of a 3-6" snowfall tomorrow night.

It is still snowing surprisingly well...radar echos are weak but the dendrites are huge. Upslope hoping to add a nice topping to the 10" from today...

Nice Scott, not able to get free until tues/wed for my weekly MRG day. Hoping it doesn't get skunked. Looks like Sunday at Magic as some friends called and want to go. Never have to twist my arm.

Dew points drive that bus, wind assisted drying, ground temps. Refreezing takes place rapidly with low dews, frost ground and evaporative cooling. Pete should post snowpack temps tomorrow so you can visualize. The sat thermo imaging is pretty good although warmer near surface temps, precip NCP do skew the numbers. During the 50 degree pouring rain at work the layers underneath were solid frozen 28 degrees. Remember snow melt which is different than sublimation takes place when snow is isothermal 32

Good post. I will look at their map tommorrow morning sometime to see the dif.

Does the temp of a snowpack vary much top to bottom? Again, there would be numerous variables. I would think that in general the top is more succeptible to atmospheric conditions than deeper down... no surprise there.

We had 31.8 degree pouring rain here. Did not take the snowpack's temp. :thumbsup: Neat that it was 28F It will survive Monday... who knows after that. It will be March

I'll check on that. Hope you're right for your sake, not mine.lol Damn Steve, really good Winter. It's about as white and wintery and inhospitable out there as it can be. I'm hoping to snag the high end of a 3-6" snowfall tomorrow night.

Winds are cranking, what is ur yearly total? Polar Arctic conditions for you right now, sweet. Looks great for the w/ e IMHO

Good post. I will look at their map tommorrow morning sometime to see the dif.

Does the temp of a snowpack vary much top to bottom? Again, there would be numerous variables. I would think that in general the top is more succeptible to atmospheric conditions than deeper down... no surprise there.

We had 31.8 degree pouring rain here. Did not take the snowpack's temp. :thumbsup: Neat that it was 28F It will survive Monday... who knows after that. It will be March

Of course, again sunshine and ground temps, top and bottom meet, meltage, that's why those bare spots kill ya. The sun heats the top and the bare ground and poof isothermal, see ya.

:lol: I did the same thing tonight ... went to shovel the deck (for the cat) and decided to go through the yard. Could barely walk with the snow up to my hips. 32" pack FTW.

LOL. Enough snow/ice down on the main rd that the snowmachines are using it as a shortcut from the Federal Wildlife management land behind me to the state forest just below me. I love snowy nights when I hear them scream by down in the valley.

Vim Toot! How's life in your part of the hinterlands. Got a kick out of your desolation monologue earlier. I'm always astonished when the city folk come for a visit here and say "It's beautiful but there's nothing to do, it's so desolate." Nothing to do?!!! More like endless things to do so long as it doesn't require shopping at a mall or some other such nonsense.

Vim Toot! How's life in your part of the hinterlands. Got a kick out of your desolation monologue earlier. I'm always astonished when the city folk come for a visit here and say "It's beautiful but there's nothing to do, it's so desolate." Nothing to do?!!! More like endless things to do so long as it doesn't require shopping at a mall or some other such nonsense.

Life slows down in da country ah yep.

Archived