Newest Member
    Toothache
Melt Down?

Tropopause_Fold

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is sad is this post..and you giving in to the warm ideas..what a shame

Check out the point and click forecasts through Sunday....those who have snow keep some (or most depending on ele-location), but those running near E mostly in SNE are cooked.

For ex: Moosup CT is above freezing all week, including lows.

Hopefully we can avoid a huge torching 3 inch rainstorm....we would get a double whammy. The interior snow pack is so full of water that any rain will run right off it and if its a warm 50F+ rain storm then the extra rapid melting of the pack will swell rivers/streams to pretty serious levels.

Much better to melt it off gradually. Where a lot of the source regions are of these rivers/streams probably has 6"+ of liquid equivalent in the pack:

whether it's early next week or the event after...i think avoiding hydro issues is going to be pretty tough. like you say, hopefully it's a slow melt down.

i still think there could be a pretty substantial rain event early next week with relatively high t/tds. i guess the hope is everything remains progressive...or the brunt of it is west of our longitude.

there's a bunch of model solutions out there that would pose problems early next week. someplace between new england and the lakes is going to get a good dose of water.

whether it's early next week or the event after...i think avoiding hydro issues is going to be pretty tough. like you say, hopefully it's a slow melt down.

i still think there could be a pretty substantial rain event early next week with relatively high t/tds. i guess the hope is everything remains progressive...or the brunt of it is west of our longitude.

there's a bunch of model solutions out there that would pose problems early next week. someplace between new england and the lakes is going to get a good dose of water.

Yeah I agree here. Especially given an active pattern we will have several chances for major hydro issues. It will take a 3"+ high td/temp rainstorm over a good chunk of SNE to cause some big problems.

Yeah I agree here. Especially given an active pattern we will have several chances for major hydro issues. It will take a 3"+ high td/temp rainstorm over a good chunk of SNE to cause some big problems.

i think duration of warmth is the big question/concern at this point. definitely like you said having a heavy rain event (3"+ type of deal) would pose a problem...but to me the issue is unlocking the water in the snowpack. that's only going to happen incrementally - and slowly - if it's a continuation of the current up/down temp regime.

if we get the ec ens type of set-up with a solid couple of days of mild air followed by or concurrent with a good sized rain event that would be a problem.

i believe this is the first euro run since this rain signal emerged that has really hit the qpf hard...widespread 3-4" totals in SNE by tuesday morning.

While it may not unleash NNE snowpack, it would be a basin wide event for large rivers, at least priming the pack for something down the road.

big winter incoming. big big winter.

haha, well Pete still has a shot maybe. It's just sad when 90% of your friends are from skiing, and you won't be able to see them every weekend at the hill or learn new tricks with them and cheer and laugh and ahghhh. I'm getting depressed, just gotta make the most out of these next few weeks I suppose...

Lost 90% of the snowpack now, mostly piles, plows and shade, thats it, more warm weather and plenty of rain on the way later this week.

Its a sad transition down here in the tropics but time waits for no weenie, looking forward to the first day of spring tomorrow, it is what it is!! Bring on bbq's and the beach!

I agree...it's mostly over. Sure we could get a fluke storm, but we're toast for the most part since Feb sucked...

Rainfall Totals:

3.91" - Southwick

3.73" - Agawam

3.70" - Westfield

3.41" - Orange

3.36" - Westhampton

3.20" - Greenfield

3.14" - Chicopee

2.82" - Worthington

2.76" - Williamsburg

2.76" - Goshen

2.65" - Easthampton