Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2/20 -2/22 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z GFS coming in like the nam for the 1st wave. Nice looking event coming up

12z NAM up this way puts out 7.6 fot the first wave then 0.4" for the second wave

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=nam&site=kswf

the 06z GFS spits out 3.0" total for both waves.

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=gfsm&site=kswf

think there will be a few surprises in store...for better or worse with these overrunning/WAA setups.

agreed.

probably have three big things to look for:

1. banding - could have some localized gradients to make totals vary

2. moisture - if it has no problem (or a bigger problem) coming over the mountains...total potentials could be higher or lower.

3. exact track - further north, more mixing. further south, northern areas get screwed

the timing is good, overnight to mid-morning, so any areas with marginal temps should be fine.

I went with 2-4" for SW CT...somewhat tempted to go higher, but can't do that just yet. much higher confidence in 4" than 2" though...

Very interesting trend so far today...looks like nyc and nnj could be in for a decent event........Dont hold qpf as a bible....these overrunning events tend to be juicer...

Yes, we seen this before in overrunning events like February 1994, 2003.

i'm talking about C/NNJ and NYC proper. I see no reason why it shouldn't be extended further south at this point.

marginal temps, probably waiting for the next shift (late afternoon) before pushing any advisories. may even see low end warning criteria for the climatologically favored areas around Orange County and POSSIBLY NW NJ?

Forecast snow amounts for 1st event (Around 2AM-Noon Monday):

TEB: 3-6"

EWR: 2-5"

SWF: 4-7"

HPN: 3-6"

NYC: 3-6"

LGA: 3-5"

JFK: 2-4"

Port Jefferson, NY: 3-6"

ISP: 3-5"

FOK: 3-5"

BDR: 3-5"

DXR: 3-5"

HVN: 2-4"

MMK: 2-4"

GON: 2-4"

For 2nd event (Mon night):

EWR: 0-1"

JFK: 0-1"

Every other location: 0

2nd wave on EURO looks south. not that I was expecting it to go north, but it would be nice to see NYC and PHL both get thumps in the same day, from separate systems.

I always thought the EURO was the better mid - long range model and the NAM was the better short range within 48 hours ? My suggestion is to wait and see what the 18Z NAM and 0Z MAM and the other mesoscale SREF's RUCS say before writing off their previous north trends today..........

Archived