• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Your ideal climate

weatherMA

We know what some people will post but what would be your ideal climate? As much as I love winter, I wouldn't want winter 12 months of the year because then snow would be less "special." I would want more of it though. My ideal climate would be something like this, and I live in a good enough area to be satisfied even though my winter climo is nowhere near this.

I would want 4 seasons with emphasis on winter. My ideal climate would be something like 5 months of winter with ~100"-150" of snow, 1.5 months of spring...50s and 60s, 3.5 months of summer...mostly 70s and 80s, sometimes getting warmer and more humid to allow for some nice t-storms, and 2 months of fall...40s and 50s.

Nov-beg April-Winter

Mid Apr-May-Spring

June-early Sep-Summer

Mid Sep-early Nov-fall

Make it happen. guitar.gif

Full on winter Nov 1-April 15 mommas clutching babies, etc

A "nice" meltdown with some rain to wash off the roads, etc. No real warm stuff...

Cool dry summer from June 25 or so until Sept 1 (no mosquitoes or deer flies)

Instant fall with temps in the 40s and 50s until winter rears its head again. Killing frosts starting mid Sept.

I think Pete already lives there

We know what some people will post but what would be your ideal climate? As much as I love winter, I wouldn't want winter 12 months of the year because then snow would be less "special." I would want more of it though. My ideal climate would be something like this, and I live in a good enough area to be satisfied even though my winter climo is nowhere near this.

I would want 4 seasons with emphasis on winter. My ideal climate would be something like 5 months of winter with ~100"-150" of snow, 1.5 months of spring...50s and 60s, 3.5 months of summer...mostly 70s and 80s, sometimes getting warmer and more humid to allow for some nice t-storms, and 2 months of fall...40s and 50s.

Nov-beg April-Winter

Mid Apr-May-Spring

June-early Sep-Summer

Mid Sep-early Nov-fall

I like it, I think your just described skimrg's climate :scooter:

I'd be perfectly fine with 4 equal seasons, but I want winter to be winter.

Hot summer, average high in the mid 80s in July, and average high above 70 from mid-May to mid September. Occasional severe weather, and occasional heat waves of temps in the 90s.

Fall of 2.5 to 3 months. Average high around 50 on Halloween, first snow around mid-November.

Then I want a winter with consistent snow cover from December to March, with an average January high of 30, average low in the teens. I want 12"+ storms to happen every winter, with 20+ storms happening every few years, and 4-8" storms being very common.

Then I want winter to end when it's supposed to end, with an average high of 55 on April Fool's day.

In fact, Worcester is one of my dream snow towns.

If the high plains got a lot more snow then that would be ideal for me. Big time t-storms, lots of outdoor wx, hot but not humid. The huge draw back is the incredibly boring winters that once in a long while lines up just right for a full tilt true blizzard (not like our fake ones).

If snow mattered most the I'd probably take just East of Bennington, VT at over 2000 feet. Lots of snow, South enough for most coastal storms, upslope snow common, constant snow cover often deep, averaging about 110-115" per year and you get that Bennington mini severe storm jackpot area.

Nov-beg April-Winter

Mid Apr-May-Spring

June-early Sep-Summer

Mid Sep-early Nov-fall

That sounds like an upstate NY type climate. Buffalo, Syracuse, Oswego...

That sounds like an upstate NY type climate. Buffalo, Syracuse, Oswego...

Yeah an area like that would be nice, but Id still prefer elevated interior Mass because of the variety of storms, and it being somewhat more civilized and closer to the city.

I've never really experienced lake effect so I don't know what it's like.

Yeah an area like that would be nice, but Id still prefer elevated interior Mass because of the variety of storms, and it being somewhat more civilized and closer to the city.

I've never really experienced lake effect so I don't know what it's like.

higher ceiling on event totals, more intense rates, more lightning and thunder with snow

less water equivalent, generally less wind...

Oswego and Syracuse are a bit better places for synoptic snowfall than Buffalo...they can still get hit hard from HV runners.

I liked it in Steamboat CO :) Long dry summers, short cool falls and long white winters. Mud season sucked but was bearable most years.

Summer out west is much more pleasant...I spent all of last summer in Montana, Utah, and Nevada...the lower humidity when heat waves strike and the cooler nights in the mountains are all welcome changes from years of spending the summer in Westchester. I can only remember a few nights that didn't get into the 40s living in St. Mary, MT....and my favorite spot was in the Wasatch Mountains of eastern Utah, just endless days of golden sunshine with temperatures in the 70s (town) and 60s (elevations) followed by crisp nights with great views of the stars, perfect for campfires. I also liked the camping in Angel Lake Recreation Area in eastern Nevada, tons of sunshine and epic alpine meadows that look down upon the parched, red desert. Very striking. Summer in the east is lush but just a mess of bugs, rain, humidity, etc...

Summer out west is much more pleasant...I spent all of last summer in Montana, Utah, and Nevada...the lower humidity when heat waves strike and the cooler nights in the mountains are all welcome changes from years of spending the summer in Westchester. I can only remember a few nights that didn't get into the 40s living in St. Mary, MT....and my favorite spot was in the Wasatch Mountains of eastern Utah, just endless days of golden sunshine with temperatures in the 70s (town) and 60s (elevations) followed by crisp nights with great views of the stars, perfect for campfires. I also liked the camping in Angel Lake Recreation Area in eastern Nevada, tons of sunshine and epic alpine meadows that look down upon the parched, red desert. Very striking. Summer in the east is lush but just a mess of bugs, rain, humidity, etc...

After experiencing the extremes of the last two years-- Im pretty confident I know what I want : 60" plus snow with at least one 2 foot snowstorm every year and one or more days of below zero temps-- snow from December through early April sharp turn to heat and 30 plus 90 degree days with at least 3 100 degree days and 10 95 degree days in the summer from late April through late September and then a sharp turn to cold..... rinse and repeat :P Wouldnt mind an active severe and hurricane season thrown in also.

If the high plains got a lot more snow then that would be ideal for me. Big time t-storms, lots of outdoor wx, hot but not humid. The huge draw back is the incredibly boring winters that once in a long while lines up just right for a full tilt true blizzard (not like our fake ones).

There are some areas in the Plains States that get lots of snowfall, like the Black Hills in western South Dakota. You should check out the town of Deadwood, it's at around 5500' elevation I believe, and they get blasted in winter. But you're generally right...it's a pretty dry climate but once in a while you get a true blizzard. I've never experienced a Plains Blizzard but am absolutely dying to road trip out there for a snowstorm with 75mph winds, temperatures dropping below 0F, and blowing snow reducing visibilities to near zero. What we have in the East doesn't hold a candle to what a hooking low can do to the Dakotas...the temperature contrast and winds in the open prairies are something we just can't fathom. Dakota Blizzard FTW.

I've done the cold nights in NNE during the summer, and I cannot stand em. My body just doesn't like the rapid temperature swings. I'll take a NYC summer, but a Worcester winter.

I hate NYC summers...the endless humidity is just disgusting, tires me out after a while. I grew up spending summers at our vacation house at 1500' in the Poconos, and that's the ideal climate for me. Average in July is 77/55, just perfection...you get plenty of nights in the 40s with the occasional muggy evening to satisfy your craving for true summer. The fall comes on much more quickly with late August nights turning chilly and leaves starting to change before meteorological summer is finished.

There are some areas in the Plains States that get lots of snowfall, like the Black Hills in western South Dakota. You should check out the town of Deadwood, it's at around 5500' elevation I believe, and they get blasted in winter. But you're generally right...it's a pretty dry climate but once in a while you get a true blizzard. I've never experienced a Plains Blizzard but am absolutely dying to road trip out there for a snowstorm with 75mph winds, temperatures dropping below 0F, and blowing snow reducing visibilities to near zero. What we have in the East doesn't hold a candle to what a hooking low can do to the Dakotas...the temperature contrast and winds in the open prairies are something we just can't fathom. Dakota Blizzard FTW.

I hate NYC summers...the endless humidity is just disgusting, tires me out after a while. I grew up spending summers at our vacation house at 1500' in the Poconos, and that's the ideal climate for me. Average in July is 77/55, just perfection...you get plenty of nights in the 40s with the occasional muggy evening to satisfy your craving for true summer. The fall comes on much more quickly with late August nights turning chilly and leaves starting to change before meteorological summer is finished.

I hate humidity but I love dry heat like we had last summer. You should cherish the power of the sun in its full glory sans all the pollution that humidity brings. Humidity is just another form of air pollution, I wish it would vanish.

I just don't go outside. As I told John (earthlight), heat it up as I stay inside. Keep the pool in the back going, and the baseball on the tube... nothing better. I will admit I once spent a June 1st or 2nd day where highs struggled to reach 60 and thought "cool", but usually I'm a warm guy.

I just don't go outside. As I told John (earthlight), heat it up as I stay inside. Keep the pool in the back going, and the baseball on the tube... nothing better. I will admit I once spent a June 1st or 2nd day where highs struggled to reach 60 and thought "cool", but usually I'm a warm guy.

I don't have AC in my house (except a wall unit in the bedroom) so I don't have the option of just staying inside when it's brutally hot...I have to live with it. I really like being outside in the summer, working in the vegetable garden and hiking upstate, so I prefer temperatures to be comfortable. I love days in the low 80s with no humidity and then nights that drop into the 50s, really perfect. Once in a while a heat wave is good to warm up the lakes for swimming...I go to this place called Sterling Lake State Park across the Hudson, and there's a pristine lake that gets really warm in summer.

I've done the cold nights in NNE during the summer, and I cannot stand em. My body just doesn't like the rapid temperature swings. I'll take a NYC summer, but a Worcester winter.

They have a pretty fair winter, no doubt, especially up at the airport with the extra 500' or so....I'd rate it just ahead of an Albany winter...though a fraction behind a Pittsfield one.

They have a pretty fair winter, no doubt, especially up at the airport with the extra 500' or so....I'd rate it just ahead of an Albany winter...though a fraction behind a Pittsfield one.

Worcester sees more exciting storms than Albany though, I'd think...especially in the last few years with the dearth of coastal huggers. SNE really got killed in 04-05 for example with all the offshore coastals, and that winter wouldn't have been nearly as fascinating in Albany. I also think their elevation allows for more snowpack retention than the lowlands of the Hudson Valley; for instance, ORHWXMAN had 50" on the ground in March 2001, a snowpack that would be unimaginable in Albany. I'd much rather take the elevation than the slight increase in latitude. Also, the higher parts of Worcester are really snowy compared to the surrounding area, whereas ALB is a snowhole compared to its environs...the hills like Thatcher State Park get way more snow than downtown. It's nice to be the snowiest location in your area instead of feeling like a loser on most storms.

Worcester sees more exciting storms than Albany though, I'd think...especially in the last few years with the dearth of coastal huggers. SNE really got killed in 04-05 for example with all the offshore coastals, and that winter wouldn't have been nearly as fascinating in Albany. I also think their elevation allows for more snowpack retention than the lowlands of the Hudson Valley; for instance, ORHWXMAN had 50" on the ground in March 2001, a snowpack that would be unimaginable in Albany. I'd much rather take the elevation than the slight increase in latitude. Also, the higher parts of Worcester are really snowy compared to the surrounding area, whereas ALB is a snowhole compared to its environs...the hills like Thatcher State Park get way more snow than downtown. It's nice to be the snowiest location in your area instead of feeling like a loser on most storms.

meh Albany is boring. ORH is where all the fun is at :) Theyve had a few 30" snowstorms over the last couple of decades.

meh Albany is boring. ORH is where all the fun is at :) Theyve had a few 30" snowstorms over the last couple of decades.

Parts of the Capital District did get close to 30" in the Christmas 2002 Nor'easter...the official total at KALB was 21.0", the 9th largest snowstorm on record there. Interestingly, KALB saw 20.8", the 10th largest snowfall ever, a few days later in the January 3-4 storm. They must have had quite a snowpack back then!

The largest snowstorm on record in 46.7" in March 1888, 20" more than the 2nd greatest snowstorm.

ORH has seen a few 30" events...I believe they got 30" in December 1992 and April 1997.

1892-93 through 2003-04 (obviously not all at high airport) Worcester saw just 8 storms of more than 20" per Kocin book...Albany saw 10 such storms from 1884-85 through 2003-04. Climate is more than what happened the last 20 years.

Parts of the Capital District did get close to 30" in the Christmas 2002 Nor'easter...the official total at KALB was 21.0", the 9th largest snowstorm on record there. Interestingly, KALB saw 20.8", the 10th largest snowfall ever, a few days later in the January 3-4 storm. They must have had quite a snowpack back then!

The largest snowstorm on record in 46.7" in March 1888, 20" more than the 2nd greatest snowstorm.

ORH has seen a few 30" events...I believe they got 30" in December 1992 and April 1997.

Yes, its absolutely amazing they got that much snow in early April. The elevation plus further east location makes that an ideal spot for the typical track of noreasters-- which is more common than the hugger track.

Archived