• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The Look Ahead Thread

WinterWxLuvr

The GFS is showing a scenario that reminds me of March 8, 1995. Am I remembering correctly? Anybody who has info on that storm, or can link me to that event, it would be appreciated.

I was living in College Park, Md then, and after early highs in the 60's some heavy rain and falling temps on strong NW winds came in. By evening I'd recorded around 2.00" of rain, and enough snow fell at the end to cover the ground.

Looking at local records, Martinsburg finished with 3" of snow with much less rain.

BTW, you can get the maps for past events here: http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/dwm/data_rescue_daily_weather_maps.html

You'll need a viewer in all likelihood for the DJVU file extension. http://www.caminova.net/en/downloads/download.aspx?id=1

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next weekend's storm... GFS pushes it through Saturday night into Sunday, and the ECMWF has it coming through late Monday (with a very lagged system in the SE slowing it down). I'm all :huh:

Still could be anything... this will be a fun one to track.

Yes, I've been thinking so too for several days. And in noting that, to all who want to rush in and assure me it's not going to snow, I am NOT saying it's going to snow, just that it has for several runs been on the maps as a significant storm and at least something to keep an eye on it, whether it is all rain or has a chance at ending as snow.

Yes, I've been thinking so too for several days. And in noting that, to all who want to rush in and assure me it's not going to snow, I am NOT saying it's going to snow, just that it has for several runs been on the maps as a significant storm and at least something to keep an eye on it, whether it is all rain or has a chance at ending as snow.

It does look interesting, even if not for snow. If I recall correctly the GFS has at times dumped a lot of QPF over us as the front goes through, probably due to the wave that goes up along the front. Then there looks to be some rather chilly air behind it. I can see rain changing to some snow at the very end, too, as you say.

Next weekend's storm... GFS pushes it through Saturday night into Sunday, and the ECMWF has it coming through late Monday (with a very lagged system in the SE slowing it down). I'm all :huh:

Still could be anything... this will be a fun one to track.

still could be anything but snow. I dont think it will be that fun to track

http://www.nco.ncep....fs_pcp_162s.gif

still looks interesting....

Not nearly as interesting on the last few runs as previous....GFS go nuts with frontal passages over 180 hours, and thats what this is, a frontal passage...If anyone buys an accumulating snow for the area from this set up then well I dont know what to say...more rain with possible severe storms.

Just the weenie in me but some times with these late winter gropes events you can get those pesky little lows that develope off hatteras were the warm meet the chilly and if they can wrap them selves enough you get noreaster

Just the weenie in me but some times with these late winter gropes events you can get those pesky little lows that develope off hatteras were the warm meet the chilly and if they can wrap them selves enough you get noreaster

18z GFS hour 168 seems to want to develop a storm along the front that passes thru on Sunday. Cold air is on the doorstep. Might be one to watch, maybe the grand finale to a lackluster winter.

From the look of the ind. GFS members, those that I can see, there appears to be a few that seem to want to do just this. I just hope that if we can't get something in the next couple of weeks, that it just fades away. The last thing I want is a bunch of rainy days in late March and early April with highs in the 30's and 40's.

18z GFS hour 168 seems to want to develop a storm along the front that passes thru on Sunday. Cold air is on the doorstep. Might be one to watch, maybe the grand finale to a lackluster winter.

the euro was there first and is a little colder.. not much if any snow accum but some flakes at the western edge over this area.

the euro was there first and is a little colder.. not much if any snow accum but some flakes at the western edge over this area.

Now it seems that the new EC is a little colder, farther east with the low and the cold than its run of 24 hours ago. The ensemble is too. It's just so hard to tell much from the maps that I can access. The ind. GFS from 6z has a few interesting possiblilities as well. Maybe we aren't dead yet.

Now it seems that the new EC is a little colder, farther east with the low and the cold than its run of 24 hours ago. The ensemble is too. It's just so hard to tell much from the maps that I can access. The ind. GFS from 6z has a few interesting possiblilities as well. Maybe we aren't dead yet.

For what it's worth the 06Z GFS Ensemble mean looks colder for that time period as well. But the mean also gives the indication that there is a wide spread between the members for the event.

Ummmm....not if it is correct. All I'm seeing is precip on our doorstep, 850's below 0c, surface near, both above and below, freezing, thickness below 540, and a good looking sim radar. This is Friday, btw.

Is it correct? :)

did you move to PA?

nam_pcp_084m.gif

Ummmm....not if it is correct. All I'm seeing is precip on our doorstep, 850's below 0c, surface near, both above and below, freezing, thickness below 540, and a good looking sim radar. This is Friday, btw.

Is it correct? :)

I was just saying the vast majority of the run was mostly sunny, heh.

Looks like all rain unless you want to head into higher elevation (or go north)

The thread doesn't need to be closed

Yeah I didn't see a problem with it. Seemed fine to me.

OK. That's fine. But I still maintain that we don't need, or want, multiple threads discussing future weather outlooks. I, and I think others, would like to look in one place for discussion about upcoming events, be they rain, snow, wind, whatever. I really don't mind if it is somewhere besides this thread, but let's have one.

I won't comment on this again. I'm not upset here. It's just what I think about the whole idea of a thread in the first place.

Now, some of you magicians find us a way to get a snow chance in here before we're mathematically eliminated.

OK. That's fine. But I still maintain that we don't need, or want, multiple threads discussing future weather outlooks. I, and I think others, would like to look in one place for discussion about upcoming events, be they rain, snow, wind, whatever. I really don't mind if it is somewhere besides this thread, but let's have one.

I won't comment on this again. I'm not upset here. It's just what I think about the whole idea of a thread in the first place.

Now, some of you magicians find us a way to get a snow chance in here before we're mathematically eliminated.

Maybe in eight days, then that's it.

Yeah I know what you mean. Even so, it's not too hard to go to specific places to find specifics for certain threats.

Archived