northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
The Look Ahead Thread

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS is being pretty stubborn about some sort of storm next weekend. It has had something sizable on the runs I have looked at for the last three days. It feels to me like if there is going to be one last chance at being disappointed while places nearby cash in, it's next weekend.

This was the relevant frame from the latest run of the GFS:

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfs/06zgfs850mbTSLPp12204.gif

The GFS is being pretty stubborn about some sort of storm next weekend. It has had something sizable on the runs I have looked at for the last three days. It feels to me like if there is going to be one last chance at being disappointed while places nearby cash in, it's next weekend.

This was the relevant frame from the latest run of the GFS:

http://raleighwx.ame...bTSLPp12204.gif

If you look at the 192 hour 2 m temp it's almost plus 10 with the wave going right over us. The 2 m temp almost falls to freezing by 204 hr but by then the precip is pretty much over. I guess it could change but that is not a snow look at least to me.

If you look at the 192 hour 2 m temp it's almost plus 10 with the wave going right over us. The 2 m temp almost falls to freezing by 204 hr but by then the precip is pretty much over. I guess it could change but that is not a snow look at least to me.

Unless I'm reading the 2m temp map incorrectly, it looks like the 0 line is close to NOVA at hour 204 with plenty of precip coming down.

thats the freezing line at the end of the 12hr frame-snip.

That's what I was trying to explain. Too many people are looking at the temp at the end of the 12h period and are therefore thinking its snow and that's not how I see the storm on the GFS. The same thing holds for the 12Z run. It's not a bad track of the low but has no cold air.

What in the hell is going on with this Monday storm? Either the GFS is on crack, or the Euro has some serious catching up to do. 500mb getting radically sheared off on the GFS... NAM and Euro hold it together a bit more, though timing is still a big issue with this system. It's about time to tell the northern stream to f*** off so we can get some storms that aren't complicated in more ways than they should be.

Was going to say pretty much the same thing...surely all the precip is done by that time frame (it's the 12 hour amount ending at 204-h). As Wes says, it's way above freezing in the 12 hour period before that. Maybe some flakes at the end though before the precip stops! Regardless, sure looks like a fairly active pattern if the GFS is correct in what it's been showing the past few days, and neither all that cold or warm. I suppose the chance for some lucky/fluke last snow event in there is possible, but who knows.

Was going to say pretty much the same thing...surely all the precip is done by that time frame (it's the 12 hour amount ending at 204-h). As Wes says, it's way above freezing in the 12 hour period before that. Maybe some flakes at the end though before the precip stops! Regardless, sure looks like a fairly active pattern if the GFS is correct in what it's been showing the past few days, and neither all that cold or warm. I suppose the chance for some lucky/fluke last snow event in there is possible, but who knows.

It may be active but is not a very good pattern for snow in our area unless the pattern switches in the pacific or Atlantic. The models are forecasting a positive NAO and a negative PNA pattern. That's a pretty bad combo.

It may be active but is not a very good pattern for snow in our area unless the pattern switches in the pacific or Atlantic. The models are forecasting a positive NAO and a negative PNA pattern. That's a pretty bad combo.

True enough, not exactly the most ideal look for snow to be sure. But certainly appears active. The good thing about that, I suppose, is if the GFS is correct we can sure use the precip! We really don't need a dry spring, heading into the upcoming summer. (Not to mention, it's nice to have something wash away the pollen now and then!)

Wes, it's so hard to talk storms on this site sometimes. We are almost out of time. I was not posting that as if it was a snow look, or a lock, just noting the presence of a storm. I don't know that there are a lot of chances left, so I was just mentioning a storm on the map for next weekend. I suppose I could have been lame and posted crap from Feb 2010 as if its current instead of mentioning actual current weather, but that's kinda being covered elsewhere.

If it's done, it's done. But this pattern bores me, and if it's not going to warm up, I guess I will keep an eye and see if there is a surprise that could pop. Even though I fully acknowledge, and think I have always been pretty clear in acknowledging, it is a longshot to see snow still on this season.

I would be much happier to see 70s on the maps for a week straight, but that's not in the cards either it would appear.

Archived