Newest Member
    joxey
Feb. 8-12 Model Discussion Part III

beanskip

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the other thread.

I don't think you are... the RUC continues to be MUCH stronger than the other american model guidance. If the European models come in stronger than their 12z runs, then I'd still say game on.

With the last few events, the RUC has been far superior to both the GFS and the NAM with at least depicting precipitation. Perhaps it might score another coop here?

r2j0ue.gif

Ok Major changes in just the first 12 hours on the GFS... s/w is much stronger and already more neutral tilt. This run will not be as suppressed IMO than the last three.

EDIT: never-mind... the GFS loses its major changes about 6-12 hours later... It just reverts back to the old solution. If you see hours 12-24 though, there was a major shift stronger with the shortwave.

Just got done reading about 45 pages of thread VI of the X-MAS storm. Climo wise I know these two are totally different. There is a great lesson to be learned though...... never ever say no way. Things can change very quicly in the world of weather. Sometime when you are bored read that thread. It's a hope renewer. Most of the models don't look good but I am not ready to throw in the towel on this thing yet.

Just got done reading about 45 pages of thread VI of the X-MAS storm. Climo wise I know these two are totally different. There is a great lesson to be learned though...... never ever say no way. Things can change very quicly in the world of weather. Sometime when you are bored read that thread. It's a hope renewer. Most of the models don't look good but I am not ready to throw in the towel on this thing yet.

Link to the hope?

Guys I hate to say it as it disappoints me greatly also, but as it appeared 2 weeks back, more than the core of winter has been done for our area. Even in the mountains, the majority of the snow cover is long way gone and the current pattern hold little confidence that we get it back other than a stray dusting or two.

At least we had a good 45 days of solid winter from early December through mid-January.

I'm afraid we have a false spring then dip back to a cold late March to April.

We have 5 months or so of torrid heat out in the Piedmont each year, so winter is a very welcome reprieve. Thanks to the good Lord for the cooler higher elevation temperatures in the summer.

Link to the hope?

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/5462-christmas-storm-v/

This thread occurred when the models pretty much lost the storm for about 24 hours.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/5730-christmas-storm-vi/

This thread brought it back at the last moment... weenies rejoiced!

GFS is still rapidly losing the moisture once its east ofthe Mississippi. The cold advection is almost continuous starting around 48 hours east of the Apps, and it generally can't snow here unless there's neutral or warm advection, we have cold advection and downslope and a very weak, and weakening 5H system that never taps the Gulf well. Atleast not progged to. I do think its too dry in Ark, Miss, Al and most of Tenn. however.

00z GFS @ 54 is the driest run to date. :gun_bandana::arrowhead:

Not true... notice how the axis of precipitation is further north and west of 18z... this run is slighly more amplified, but the way the trends were the first 18-24 hours, it should have been a much bigger trend towards additional amplification. Baby steps. If the GGEM, UKMET, and EURO hold serve or trend stronger at 00z, I still think there is a good chance the gfs and nam are just lost in the woods waiting to be rescued.

Guys I hate to say it as it disappoints me greatly also, but as it appeared 2 weeks back, more than the core of winter has been done for our area. Even in the mountains, the majority of the snow cover is long way gone and the current pattern hold little confidence that we get it back other than a stray dusting or two.

At least we had a good 45 days of solid winter from early December through mid-January.

I'm afraid we have a false spring then dip back to a cold late March to April.

We have 5 months or so of torrid heat out in the Piedmont each year, so winter is a very welcome reprieve. Thanks to the good Lord for the cooler higher elevation temperatures in the summer.

Keep in mind cold in late March and April would be highs in the 50s.

While we're waiting on Dr. Yes, I'm curious. Compare the 500mb vorticity 06z panel to the current water vapor loop. Does that potent looking spin now diving southeastward through western Wyoming look like what would be expected given the rather strung out look on the vorticity map? Not saying it means anything necessarily down the road. Also, just how well sampled is this region of the country.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/00/images/gfs_500_006l.gif

Zoom in on Wyoming here. http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/comp/ceus/flash-wv.html

Archived