joxey
Feb. 8-12 Model Discussion Part III

beanskip

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HPC's thoughts

...FRONT DROPPING THROUGH THE SOUTHWEST TUESDAY...PREFERENCE... 00Z NAM/ECMWF

00Z NAM IS A BIT DEEPER ALOFT THAN THE 00Z ECMWF ALOFT BUT COMPARES WELL AT THE SFC. THE 00Z GFS IS WEAKER ALOFT AND THE 00Z UKMET IS SLOWER WITH THE FRONT THROUGH WEST TEXAS THAN THECONSENSUS. WILL LEAN AGAINST THE WEAK/SHEARED OUT GFS....WAVE CROSSING THE GULF STATES EARLY THURSDAY......

SFC LOW PUSHING OFFSHORE NC/SC THURSDAY...PREFERENCE... 00Z ECMWF

THE 00Z NAM/UKMET TRACK THE SFC LOW A BIT FARTHER NORTH THAN THE00Z ECMWF/CANADIAN LATE WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY. THE 00Z GFS ISMUCH WEAKER ALOFT AND AT THE SFC AND MAINTAINS A FLATTER/WEAKER/MORE SUPPRESSED SYSTEM COMPARED TO THE OTHER GUIDANCE WITH THIS SYSTEM AND AS A SECOND AREA OF LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPS EAST OF THE CAROLINAS EARLY THURSDAY. THE 00Z NAM/UKMETARE A BIT STRONGER/QUICKER WITH THIS SECOND LOW THAN THE 00ZECMWF. TREND HAS BEEN FOR A BIT WEAKER SYSTEM HERE THOUGH NOT AS WEAK AS THE GFS... SO WILL LEAN TOWARD THE MIDDLE OF THE PACK 00Z

ECMWF.

I'm afraid the writing is on the wall for the western half of NC. From RDU west the trend just isn't there. The coastal is going to take over tomorrow night and the best lift and moisture jumps to the eastern Carolinas. This has been suggested for quite a while now. Areas east of I 95 to the northern OBX will probably get a decent little snow.

12znamp06thickpmsl_MA048.gif

Ok guys. Let's break it down. Here are the last 3 runs of the NAM from 00z to 06z to 12z. Notice how @ H5 the upper level energy is stay consolidated a little longer each time and not getting broken down by the confluence from the NE. As a result we now have much higher vorticity in MS. Baby steps into the right direction. :snowman:

2m5e6bq.gif

I'm afraid the writing is on the wall for the western half of NC. From RDU west the trend just isn't there. The coastal is going to take over tomorrow night and the best lift and moisture jumps to the eastern Carolinas. This has been suggested for quite a while now. Areas east of I 95 to the northern OBX will probably get a decent little snow.

Based off of the latest NAM I'm afraid I beg to differ. I'll wait till 00z to really start thinking this is a total screw job. I think you make a very valid point...but I think it's going to be a wait and see thing.

Based off of the latest NAM I'm afraid I beg to differ. I'll wait till 00z to really start thinking this is a total screw job. I think you make a very valid point...but I think it's going to be a wait and see thing.

well, I certainly hope that I am wrong. However, the first system gets squashed tomorrow afternoon/evening as it kind of gets left behind- you'll notice the 700 mb RH from the initial system never makes substantial headway into the western Carolinas. Instead- a new area of 700 MB RH/Omega develops along the coast in response to the developing coastal.

I agree with your burger, unfortunately we are going to have to model watch some more, the latest NAM is definitely wetter and shifted N/W some. We are still 36+ hours away. I was kind of hoping it would be dry again to put us out of our misery but we are now forced to watch a little longer.

Archived