12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb. 8-12 Model Discussion Part III

beanskip

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it could go either way really. I am just trying to stay somewhat conservative in my approach right now- but hoping for more. We'll see.

Plus this is the only model showing any precip, GFS/EURO/GEM/UKIE were all dry, I thought.

Correction: Ukie and GEM show a .1" too.

It is further SW a bit and the shortwave in MN is further to the north as well.

Looks like it's still going weak pretty fast out to 21...but this should be an improvement over the past couple of runs I would have to guess. Baby steps....these small changes were the same way that ULL destroyed the OV and NE and totally missed us. Maybe we get a reversal of fortunes.

At hr 24 compared to 0z GFS the 12z GFS is a tad further SW with our shortwave. Also the 552 isobars ran straight thru TN on the 0z run is now up to the TN/KY line. So if you have the trough to the west further south while the the isobars (like the 552 in TN) edging further north it means a better opportunity to tap more moisture. We will see if that happens.

Looks like it's still going weak pretty fast out to 21...but this should be an improvement over the past couple of runs I would have to guess. Baby steps....these small changes were the same way that ULL destroyed the OV and NE and totally missed us. Maybe we get a reversal of fortunes.

IIRC the Christmas storm kept getting a little stronger a little longer through the day-before runs as well. sort of like the models were saying "Well, it isn't dead yet...let's keep it around for one more run."

Plus this is the only model showing any precip, GFS/EURO/GEM/UKIE were all dry, I thought.

Correction: Ukie and GEM show a .1" too.

Even here I have my reservations, as these events which are indicated to be light in nature have high bust potential, usually in the negative sense. Very thin ground when output is for less than 0.25", which can sometimes indicate coverage is more sporadic in the grid, where one place ends up with maybe a couple inches and the next town over is left dry. Would much rather be firmly intrenched in the in at-least 0.25" ballpark, and with the Euro coming in with 0.06", not good. We are in the range where small changes can change things quick, and the 12z GFS is a step in the right direction. If the weaker trends continued, this would have almost certainly vanished into not much, if anything. Hopefully that has leveled off and reserved, and we start seeing it come back in wetter. The GFS ens mean has been the wettest output here as of late, with the 0.5" shade almost clipping SE Pitt County. Looking at the individual members, overwhelming majority are better than the OP for ENC, with several showing a somewhat widespread 0.5" event. Needless to say, less than avg confidence going foreword, and will basically come down to a nowcast with MHX pinning hopes on a WWA to verify.

Here's the deal. Everyone wrote the GFS off (including the HPC) because it was... well, very wrong. Now, it's starting to come around also.

Time and trends are in our favor I believe.

I know for a time it was washing out both storms quite similarly, and yet that piddling little line of showers yesterday gave me .3. If that had been snow, I'd have seen some flakes :) It is 36.5 here so I'm not over impressed with the cold, but that isn't too bad considering it is near noon. I think there is snow in the future. And now I'm interested in the 15th. T

Even here I have my reservations, as these events which are indicated to be light in nature have high bust potential, usually in the negative sense. Very thin ground when output is for less than 0.25", which can sometimes indicate coverage is more sporadic in the grid, where one place ends up with maybe a couple inches and the next town over is left dry. Would much rather be firmly intrenched in the in at-least 0.25" ballpark, and with the Euro coming in with 0.06", not good. We are in the range where small changes can change things quick, and the 12z GFS is a step in the right direction. If the weaker trends continued, this would have almost certainly vanished into not much, if anything. Hopefully that has leveled off and reserved, and we start seeing it come back in wetter. The GFS ens mean has been the wettest output here as of late, with the 0.5" shade almost clipping SE Pitt County. Looking at the individual members, overwhelming majority are better than the OP for ENC, with several showing a somewhat widespread 0.5" event. Needless to say, less than avg confidence going foreword, and will basically come down to a nowcast with MHX pinning hopes on a WWA to verify.

excellent points all around. I really think downeast NC is going to end up with the prize (whatever that may be relative to the rest of us). You have to like the trend in the modeling to rapidly develop the moisture and lift along the coastal plain late tomorrow night as the best dynamics shift to the east. The GFS was relatively close to the NAM in that regard.

Right now I'm wishing I was back in my old stomping grounds!

So here is my forecast.

http://www.examiner....nesday-thursday

A very balanced and reasonable forecast, Allan. Even though I'm not happy with it, it makes sense. I just hope you have to change your forecast later this afternoon or early tomorrow morning to include more areas in the blue or pink areas of snowfall totals.

Archived