• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
What Weather/Climate Records Of The 2000's So Far Will Be Hardest To Beat?

I'll start it off with my picks for the weather/climate records of the 2000's so far that I think will be the hardest to beat.

DJF 2009-2010 blocking- AO/-NAO combo

Winter 2009-2010 record snowfall Baltimore/Washington

2005 hurricane season

2001-2002 winter warmth(DJF) in NYC.

Minnesota record low pressure set in OCT 2010

I'll start it off with my picks for the weather/climate records of the 2000's so far that I think will be the hardest to beat.

DJF 2009-2010 blocking AO/NAO combo

2005 hurricane season

Either option two or three.

DJF 2009-2010 blocking- AO/-NAO combo

2005 hurricane season

2005 Hurricane season for sure.

If you look at Baltimore (I don't count DCA- who the hell measures snowfall on a black tar-coated roof on a runway at an airport below sea level, surrounded by a swamp, then that surrounded by a 10 mile radius of concrete?) The record was broken from 1996.

The named storm record absolutely shattered whatever the previous year was, 1995?, as well as no other year has even been estimated to come close in the pre-sattellite era. That one stays.

Some good examples brought up by many, and Id be willing to bet we are missing some (its hard to remember, even the extremes, when it is not IYBY).

The only thing that really stands out on a local level for me, but you can pretty much toss in the entire Great Lakes region into this, is the back-to-back snowy winters of 2007-08 and 2008-09. Never before had Detroit seen so much snow in back to back winters, and I believe the same was said for many other midwest cities. That will probably be hard to beat. The max/min for the decade at DTW was 99F and -15, so while you certainly dont see temps like that every year, Im sure they can be beaten. Did have a few 2-day rainstorms over 4", and the biggest snowstorm of the decade was 12.2", Im sure those will be beaten.

Archived