Newest Member
    amirah5
February 5-6 Storm Threat I

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't have gutters?

I daming can be a nightmare, The thing with ice daming is, Don't give it a chance to happen, At least get the 1st 10' or so off the edge of the roof, But if its to late, Then get the snow off then throw or lay some calcium chloride onto the ice and it will start to melt imediatly, The last thing you want to do is chop the ice, There could be worse roof damage then the ice..

I daming can be a nightmare, The thing with ice daming is, Don't give it a chance to happen, At least get the 1st 10' or so off the edge of the roof, But if its to late, Then get the snow off then throw or lay some calcium chloride onto the ice and it will start to melt imediatly, The last thing you want to do is chop the ice, There could be worse roof damage then the ice..

Yeah that's what I suggested, but the damage is done.

The other thing I noticed, is that the ground doesn't really seem to be frozen. I guess the snow that fell around mid December really insulated it.

Anybody have any serious ice dam issues? My folks have about 6" of ice in the gutters with heavy heavy drippage into the house.

yes...had a leak. guy came over and found likely source, broke it up with a big hammer...was told not to do this but other people lol. Leak stopped and he cleared the roof. this was before feb1-2. now bringing him back on Sunday after the Saturday storm (4-8 with lollies to 10) and after every storm. It is upsetting to see a leak coming through your ceiling and knowing it is almost impossible to get those stains to go away.

yes...had a leak. guy came over and found likely source, broke it up with a big hammer...was told not to do this but other people lol. Leak stopped and he cleared the roof. this was before feb1-2. now bringing him back on Sunday after the Saturday storm (4-8 with lollies to 10) and after every storm. It is upsetting to see a leak coming through your ceiling and knowing it is almost impossible to get those stains to go away.

I did the same - hacked at the gutter with a hammer to get the ice out. Only damaged one gutter clip and can fix that easily. No other way.

why is that? what kinda damage?

Ice & Water Shield FTW! We specify this stuff on every job that goes out of our offices. You place it at the eaves and in valleys. The other thing is to make sure you have properly vented roofs with a continuous soffit and ridge vent to keep your roof cold in winter.

http://www.graceathome.com/pages/roofing.htm

First thing we did when we bought this house was to remove the gutters. Not a good idea to have them above 42 north.

my house has gutters, and so far has survived 00-01, 02-03, 07-08 and 10-11 without a single leak. I must have real good attic venitlation, because i never have ice dams.

Yeah that's what I suggested, but the damage is done.

The other thing I noticed, is that the ground doesn't really seem to be frozen. I guess the snow that fell around mid December really insulated it.

Yeah, You guys got snow early, I would bet you probably don't have more then 6" of frost in the ground thats covered

Ice & Water Shield FTW! We specify this stuff on every job that goes out of our offices. You place it at the eaves and in valleys. The other thing is to make sure you have properly vented roofs with a continuous soffit and ridge vent to keep your roof cold in winter.

http://www.graceathome.com/pages/roofing.htm

Yes, I mentioned that last week when some others were having issues, I have a section of roof that has little pitch so we used Ice & Water shield up there and have had no water issues since... :thumbsup:

For those of you who remove their gutters, I'd recommend you have a crushed gravel drainage area around the base of your foundation to get the water away. That's just as bad. You don't want to have all of that water coming off the roof and infiltrating the house at the foundation.

French drain FTW.

For those of you who remove their gutters, I'd recommend you have a crushed gravel drainage area around the base of your foundation to get the water away. That's just as bad. You don't want to have all of that water coming off the roof and infiltrating the house at the foundation.

Yes, Water finds the smallest cracks in the foundation and makes its way in, I had to have some cracks injected and have never had that issue after as well

Archived