e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Ians Birthday Blizzard Bomb Bonanza BECS Feb 9-11

Ji

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are the weenie master of the DGEX and early morning over-analysis of the 06Z suite.

Because I post an occasional map off the DGEX so people can see what it has to show? Weenie master of the DGEX? Yeah right. Whatever.

As far as me going over the 06Z suite I enjoy doing that because that's when I have some time and it's a slow period of time for the boards.

People can look at it if they want, but the intolerable thing is when they actually get "worried" about it not showing a hit. Folks do the same thing with the awful NOGAPS.

[/quote

I don't see to many people that get overly excited about what the DGEX shows and I know dam well I don't.

DGEX is one of many models out there, probably not better then most but still a model to look at to get a general feel for how something will play out so I don't understand what the issue is that you have to attack every person that might bring it up.

As far as you attacking me that seems to be your MO. Been watching you for years popping into threads just long enough to attack and criticize as many people as you can then moving on to the next thread.

It's just sad.

This is going to be a close call and a struggle to keep it from going too far west as we near the event. At this point (114 hr GFS map below), I'd expect the vort to strengthen and start to tilt the trof negative. It's still west of Lake Michigan longitude which suggests to me it will try and ride west of the southern apps. Fortunately, we have some cold dry air in place, and perhaps the low will do a jump to the coast south of us keeping us all snow.

post-772-0-62239100-1296926312.gif

If I was forecasting now, I'd go with a snow likely to start then snow/mix likely for the second half of the storm.

This seems to be what HPC/NWS is thinking but the boards here are seemingly much more worried about suppressed/OTS.

I am wondering what the pros' thoughts around here (Ian, Wes, etc.) are on Lwx being more worried about a westward solution eventually. It seems they think the surface isn't matching the features being presented.

i;d still rather have a graze or ots than something perfect or headed inland at this pt. that works well most yrs tho maybe not this one.

Agreed but I don't want the Euro to continue to move towards the GFS solution. I would be nice to see the Euro hold N&W of other guidance and not show the same or worse at this point. Don't think we have to worry about a NW rainer at this point although LWX mentions it and they know a heck of a lot more that I do.

This seems to be what HPC/NWS is thinking but the boards here are seemingly much more worried about suppressed/OTS.

I am wondering what the pros' thoughts around here (Ian, Wes, etc.) are on Lwx being more worried about a westward solution eventually. It seems they think the surface isn't matching the features being presented.

Here's HPC's prelim discussion. They go with the euro but that's still a pretty suppressed look and the discussion was released before the 12Z GFS was out. Essentially, they say any of the solutions is possible. I think that the southwestern vort may end up being stronger than forecast by the GFS but that's just a guess so I wouldn't put much stock in it. The flow is really fact and there are multiple shortwaves in each stream. to muck things up or change them from what is being forecast. I'm not good enough to know wich model is correct. I do know I generally like having one of the models show a storm but even without any, there still would be potential for the models to bring a storm back on later runs.

PRELIMINARY EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

857 AM EST SAT FEB 05 2011

VALID 12Z WED FEB 09 2011 - 12Z SAT FEB 12 2011

ONLY MINOR CHANGES MADE TO UPDATED PRELIM GRAPHICS. WE KEPT THE

PREDOMINATELY 00Z/05 ECMWF BLEND AND PUT IN A MINOR PERCENTAGE OF

THE NEW 00Z/05 ENSEMBLE MEAN.

CONUS TROUGHING LOOKS TO PERSIST THROUGH MUCH OF NEXT WEEK BEFORE

RIDGING OVER THE EASTERN PACIFIC OFF THE WEST COAST IS FORECAST TO

BREAK DOWN. MODELS CONTINUE TO HAVE TROUBLE EVEN WITH THE SHORTER

TERM SYSTEMS SO DETAILS REMAIN MURKY AT BEST. HOWEVER... SYNOPTIC

FLOW IS IN GOOD AGREEMENT THROUGH FRI/D6 WITH A QUICK MOVING BUT

POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT AND DEEPENING CYCLONE MOVING FROM THE GULF

COAST THROUGH THE SOUTHEAST AND INTO THE WESTERN ATLANTIC. UPPER

PATTERN OVER THE NORTHEAST PACIFIC BY THE END OF THE WORK WEEK HAS

TURNED DECIDEDLY TROUGHY IN RECENT MODEL RUNS THOUGH A FAIR AMOUNT

OF SPREAD EXISTS IN THE ENSEMBLES.

SOUTHERN STREAM ENERGY MOVING TOWARD THE TEXAS COAST WED/D4 SHOULD

FORM SFC LOW PRESSURE THAT MOVES TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST COAST BY

THU/D5. 00Z ECMWF HAS QUICKENED ITS PACE FROM YESTERDAY WHILE THE

GFS HAS SLOWED... SO SPREAD AMONG THE MODELS HAS DECREASED HERE.

AFTER THAT... QUESTIONS REMAIN AS TO WHETHER THE LOW STAYS FLATTER

AND MORE OUT TO SEA OR MORE AMPLIFIED AND RIDES UP THE COAST. ANY

VARIETY OF SOLUTIONS HAS BEEN FORECAST BY THE MODELS THE PAST

COUPLE OF DAYS AND ANYTHING IS ON THE TABLE RIGHT NOW. SIDED WITH

THE ECMWF MORE SO THAN THE GFS DUE TO ITS PREFERRED HANDLING OF

SHORTWAVE ENERGY THAT DIVES DOWN THROUGH THE WEST IN THE SHORT

TERM. 00Z GEFS AND ECMWF ENSEMBLES ARE SURPRISINGLY WEAK IN THEIR

PMSL FIELDS CONSIDERING BOTH OPERATIONAL MODELS DEEPEN THE SFC LOW

SMARTLY OFF THE MID ATLANTIC COAST.

ONCE THE EAST COAST SYSTEM DEPARTS THE WEST COAST LOOKS TO BE IN

FOR A PATTERN CHANGE TOWARD A CLOSED LOW OR DEEP TROUGH ALONG 140W

RATHER THAN A STRONG RIDGE JUST OFF THE COAST. NOT SURPRISINGLY

GIVEN THE PATTERN CHANGE...ENSEMBLE SPAGHETTI PLOTS SHOW VERY

LARGE SPREAD DEVELOPING FRI/SAT OVER THE WRN THIRD OF THE CONUS

AND ADJACENT PACIFIC...AND ABOVE AVERAGE UNCERTAINTY SPREADS EWD

ALONG THE JET INTO THE ERN STATES BY SAT DAY 7. LOTS OF TIMING

ISSUES HERE WITH THE CANADIAN WELL EAST OF THE ECMWF.

FRACASSO/FLOOD

The individual gefs members are pretty ungly and only one member on eyewall site even gets any snow into dc and it looks pretty much like the 06Z GFS, essentially a glancing blow.

im sort of expecting the euro to be a whiff now. :( but im being a weenie today...

Agreed but I don't want the Euro to continue to move towards the GFS solution. I would be nice to see the Euro hold N&W of other guidance and not show the same or worse at this point. Don't think we have to worry about a NW rainer at this point although LWX mentions it and they know a heck of a lot more that I do.

well wes has pointed out and i agree based on what we've seen that the euro has overamplified some storms this yr. unfortunately the gfs has done fairly well in pattern recognition if not all specifics.

Thanks Wes, very informative. I have to say I'm much more optimistic by blending the models with the HPC discussion. However, although they make it clear that anything is on the table, I do agree with you that I wish a westward solution was a tad more prevalent (GGEM?) in order to balance things out. But maybe that's just the way this winter is going which makes me say that. Most years I would believe that we would be pretty excited with the current solutions given how the models usually move NWward as an event unfurls.

well wes has pointed out and i agree based on what we've seen that the euro has overamplified some storms this yr. unfortunately the gfs has done fairly well in pattern recognition if not all specifics.

One example that i can remember is the dec 26 storm where the euro had like 6 straight runs bombing all of us 130 hrs out while all the other guidance didn't have anything....the euro lost it and then they all picked it up again 48 hrs out.

If 0z doesn't trend better then I will worry.

0z seems a bit arbitrary. That will still be circa 5 days out.

Be it as it may I'm worried now. It's always an uphill battle for snowstorms here sans last year. But the way the models have jumped this year and what Lwx is discussing I'm not worried until inside 96 hours at least.

Edit: very conscious of the contradiction lol

If the euro whiffs and never brings the storm back that would be at least 4 major stomrs that it forecast with a 1" liquid that didn't verify.

Archived