• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Groundhog Day Storm Thread

dryslot

But as sbos says, read the AFD. I just did. It was written 3 hours ago. They are looking at the radar and all the latest data and calling for 12-16 inches. I wish I knew how that was going to happen looking at the radar. But these guys know so much more than I that I am going stop being so negative and enjoy myself today!

That was a nice AFD all-around. Kudos to the firm of Hanes & Kimble for stepping to the plate and not mailing it in.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am wondering, and if there is a met on here or someone who knows this stuff, what is expected to cause the heavy snow this afternoon. Looking at the radar the back edge is racing in it appears. Is it the secondary forming that will cause everything to slow down, back up and then cause some frontogenic forcing from the east?

I am wondering, and if there is a met on here or someone who knows this stuff, what is expected to cause the heavy snow this afternoon. Looking at the radar the back edge is racing in it appears. Is it the secondary forming that will cause everything to slow down, back up and then cause some frontogenic forcing from the east?

There's another burst of QPF that develops when the secondary gets cranking. The 6z runs keep the heaviest over the MA/NH border. Hopefully it ends up a little more north like the 00z runs had...the dry slot and sleet line is already more north than modeled. At this rate we may even ping as there is already sleet mixing in at ALB. Their sounding was progged to be all snow at 12z and starting to get iffy by 15z.

Wow we are getting crushed... absolutely crushed. Averaging between 1-2" per hour since 5:30am.

Storm total is now 7" at 1,500ft and 8" at 3,000ft.

I didn't clear the 1,500ft board at 5:30am so I went back to check and clean... found 4" on it (was only 1.5" at 5:30), so that's 2.5" in 2 hours.

So details at 1,500ft so far:

2/1 6pm... 3" NEW

2/2 7:30am... 4" NEW

Total 7" so far. I know there's at least an extra inch at 3,000ft from yesterday but we haven't been up there yet this morning.

+SN 11F

Wow we are getting crushed... absolutely crushed. Averaging between 1-2" per hour since 5:30am.

Storm total is now 7" at 1,500ft and 8" at 3,000ft.

I didn't clear the 1,500ft board at 5:30am so I went back to check and clean... found 4" on it (was only 1.5" at 5:30), so that's 2.5" in 2 hours.

So details at 1,500ft so far:

2/1 6pm... 3" NEW

2/2 7:30am... 4" NEW

Total 7" so far. I know there's at least an extra inch at 3,000ft from yesterday but we haven't been up there yet this morning.

+SN 11F

Nice, I see some of the better bands heading this way on radar, If we can rip 1-2"/hr for a few hours we should be fine here as well

Event totals: 2.5” Snow/0.15” L.E.

Tuesday 2/1/2011 7:00 P.M. update: When I left Burlington today at around 6:00 P.M. I’d say that they had picked up a couple inches of new snow, and it was certainly dry, fluffy snow. On my car at the Waterbury Park and Ride I found about 3 inches of fresh snow, and it was definitely low density stuff. For those that are familiar, it had that airy sugar, or perhaps “spun” sugary consistency that some batches of powder have. It makes those small sounds of crystals smashing together as you brush it around, and in this case, the structure of the crystals was such that the snow stack was more on the “shattering” side of the spectrum vs. the “collapsing” side of the spectrum. In line with that, it’s not the lightest of the light, because that stuff makes even less noise, and it also didn’t have the super aggregative properties that some batches of powder have. Hearing the sounds and feeling the resistance of the powder, I still threw out my first guess at density at that point, and I went with somewhere in the 3% to 5% H2O range (ratios of 20 or 30 to 1). I was eager to see how it came in when I got my core off the snowboard.

At home I found 2.5 inches on the board, and as soon as put my coring cylinder down and then compressed the core with the inner cylinder, I knew I’d guessed too low on the density. There was a sneaky amount of liquid in there. The core only compressed down to about a half inch under the standard amount of pressure that I apply, and it was definitely going to come in above 5% H2O. Anyway, the single 68 mm diameter core melted down to 13.74 mL, which comes in at 0.15 inches of liquid, for a density of exactly 6.0% H2O or a ratio of 16.7 to 1. So my first guess off the car was just a touch low. I’m not sure what everyone’s best guess was for this part of the storm in terms of the temperatures and cloud physics, but that value comes from 0.15 inches of liquid with no wind, so it’s definitely a very robust and accurate measurement. It will be interesting to see what others around here get for ratios if they catch it before settling, or what BTV comes in with. The fresh snow I checked out in Burlington didn’t seem quite as airy as what I found in Waterbury, but it was still quite dry.

Some details from the 7:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 2.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.15 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.7

Snow Density: 6.0% H2O

Temperature: 15.6 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 18.5 inches

The snow yesterday started as little pellets and then exploded into big puffy flakes around mid-day. I suspect most of the water content you are seeing fell during the first few hours and most of the depth came later.

The snow yesterday started as little pellets and then exploded into big puffy flakes around mid-day. I suspect most of the water content you are seeing fell during the first few hours and most of the depth came later.

What do you have down in town?

Time to head up and check 3,000ft.

Its funny, the snow was so light and fluffy yesterday, that this new snow today has really packed it down. With one clearing of the snow board inbetween the snows, there's 7" total. However, there's really only like 6" on the ground, so clearing accounted for another 1".

Event totals: 4.3” Snow/0.36” L.E.

Wednesday 2/2/2011 6:00 A.M. update: At the 6:00 A.M. I found 1.8 inches of new snow on the board. It was coming down fairly heavily, but I wasn’t ready to call it heavy snow. The flakes were small (1-3 mm) and this stuff is dense, coming in at 11.7% H2O which is essentially twice as dense as what we got yesterday. If we get a healthy dose of this stuff, it could really be the shot in the arm that the local ski resorts need to finally clean up any bare spots on the trails that have been hanging around due to our lack of synoptic storms.

I left the house right around 7:00 A.M. and took a quick look at the snowboard on my way out. It seemed to have a bit shy of an inch on it, so that would fit well with being just below an inch per hour snowfall; just below what I’d call “Heavy Snow”. Still, the snow was coming down with plenty of vigor, and driving was tricky on Route 2 with low visibility and enough snow on the road to push the tires around a bit from our spot on the Waterbury-Bolton line until just before the center of Richmond. As I drove into Richmond however, the intensity of the snowfall dropped way off, and it also looked like they hadn’t received as much snow as we had farther to the east. From there on in to Burlington, I-89 was actually in great shape. For much of the route between exits 11 and 14, the right lane was down to clean asphalt. Folks were still taking it around 40-50 MPH, but everyone was moving along very nicely and the driving was quite easy aside from the occasional burst of snow from the wind or a passing vehicle. The snowfall did intensify again as I passed through Williston to the Burlington area, and here at UVM there are some notably bigger flakes – I’d say up to 10 mm in diameter. They’re getting some nice steady snow here right now.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 1.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.21 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.6

Snow Density: 11.7% H2O

Temperature: 15.1 F

Sky: Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 20.0 inches

Ok, There was to much of a gap to count as 1, I already listed yesterdays, 3.5" is what we ended up with here, Looks like we are going to start to rip here soon

Yeah, that gap was like 8 hours or something, which is why I'm counting it as two storms. It'd look more impressive having one single larger total but I think it's proper to count it as two.

And, yes, we're going to rip for a lil while it looks like.

What do you have down in town?

Time to head up and check 3,000ft.

Its funny, the snow was so light and fluffy yesterday, that this new snow today has really packed it down. With one clearing of the snow board inbetween the snows, there's 7" total. However, there's really only like 6" on the ground, so clearing accounted for another 1".

Probably close to 5" now. I cleared the driveway at 6:30 and by 7 there was close to another inch. Flake size is a little smaller now than compared to earlier this morning but it is still coming down at a pretty good rate.

Hoping to get up to the mountain around 2 to mess up some powder.

Had a great burst from 7-8am. 3 inches recorded at 8. recorded a good 1/2 inch in 15 minutes. lightened up a bit but increasing now with bigger flakes. As of 8am 3 new inches, 3.5 yesterday, 6.5 total. 27 inches at the stake...still a ways to go to catch Ray, Ginx, Will, Kevin, Pete and Mike (just to name a few)...but perhaps that happens by Sunday morn....

Archived